ilber's stroker

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
ilber
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: YJ HO

Re: ilber's stroker

Post by ilber »

actually i never had issue overheating, even with A/C and reving engine in the mud pit, I perhaphs saw 210 or so, which i believe is ok. with 160 it is just not warm enough... i am not that rich that i get cylinder washdown. So it is settled... when i get the slightest drive to do it i will swap 180.
as far as parts: rad-less than 2 years old, new water pump, US made-fail-open t-stat, new sensors for PCM and gauge, new hoses and camps, 50-50 premixed extended glycol mix ( yellow/green stuff), heater core was boiled about 4 years ago.
I am usually proactive :)
PCM might want 195-not me...180 it is
ilber
ilber
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by ilber »

by my estimate i will need an oil change next tuesday, since i think i am done with breakin oil. I became prefeared customer with Amsoil and 30 gallon barrel of 10W40 AMO oil that has 1378 ppm of zinc ( per tech line) will do me good. even with the dyno oil i was hitting time intervals vs milage, but with fun factor in my jeep i might do a tad more driving, in any case a better oil is well worth it in my book
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

It may be too early for synthetic. How many miles on it?
ilber
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by ilber »

I got as of this evening 350 miles.
I got in 3 weeks 437 mile drive ( each way)...get this, rather than driving Maxima i am thinking of taking jeep. I will have close to 1000 miles in a week, that's when i am expecting new oil to arrive.
If i drive only jeep, I will have over 500 miles in a regular week, if I am to take my jeep on the field assignment thats would be ~ 1000 miles in a week...
with 1700 rpm idle 95% of the time in 4hi i have average out ~ 13-14 mpg on 87/93 octane ( heck it is better already), milage should improve since intake replaced, idle at normal i backed down fuel pressure to 42 psi at idle. i got another '93 intake.... junk yard crashed '00 on friday:(, they originally said mid next week :(
BTW just to be on the safe side, I did the same as my buddy with his FJ40.... i used 2 gaskets... one multilayer and one graphfoil....works like a charm, when i don't do @$$ backward stuff.
ilber
ilber
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by ilber »

just little fiddling around. cleaned up remainder of the air lines from RSX shocks, reinstalled my OBA, rewired my york clutch along with the arb switch, some pluming and utilizing my on board air with the step down regulator+ gauge to power my ARB. ( i do have 20 gal tank, so it will do more than just occasional tire inflation or air horn duty), welded lashing rings on my gavin swing away wilderness bumper and put the rack up ( getting ready for the trip down to new Mexico)
ilber
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by ilber »

STROKER DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

1373.1 on the stroker.

heard backfire. started investigating. 6th spark plug was fouled badly. swapped the plug. back fired still. changed cap and rotor. back fire continued.
pull valve cover. the push rod on exhaust valve was not even visiable, all the way in the block. using magnet got the push rod out. not a scratch, straight.
used oil dipstick in the pushrod hole while had the crank turned by hand-no "push" felt the lobe. so colapsed lifter+ shot comp cam.
on top of it i am 500 miles from home under snowy skies of NM.
used break in oil for 20 minutes to break cam. changed oil and put comp cam break in oil, like recomended. at 1100 miles put in amsoil AMO( diesel oil) that should have the best concetration of ZDDP.... everytime new napa gold filter was used...

just dropped jeep at only shop in town.... i hate my life... F-jeep... should have dropped SBC...
:evil:

this sucks!!!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I really feel your pain. I also wish I had taken a different route with my engine at times.. maybe just bought a Hesco engine to begin with.

You had a comp cam right? Mine died, but all the lobes were showing wear and Comp Cams was unable to give me an answer as to what happened. But at the same time I have used two other compcams in the past and never had a problem. I did receive a lifter from them that was assembled incorrectly once, which caused an issue like yours to happen. It was running fine then clack clack clack. Maybe the lifter is just collapsed? It is odd the all of a sudden that happened. You would think that if the cam lobe had started to wear you would hear some loud ticking from that lobe as the lifter lost preload. Its too bad you can't pull the lifter up through the head for an inspection.

Your oil should be fine as it has 1265ppm of Phosphorus and 1378ppm of zinc.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

That totally sucks!

So now, what is the plan? Is the shop going to tear the engine down? Flat bed it home? If the shop is going to replace the cam, make sure they put the pin and spring in the end of the new cam. They might not be familiar with the Jeep 6, and forget to install it.

I agree with silver, there should have been some warning signs of the cam failing. I don't know what is around where you are located, but if the shop replaces the cam and lifters and needs some break in lube, you can use some GM EOS. A GM dealer hopefully will have some in stock. See if you can find some valvoline VR1 oil. Most parts stores sell some weight of VR1. 10W30 would be best for break in, but use what you can find. VR1 has high zinc for flat tappet cams. I used 10W30 VR1 with 1 can of GM EOS for beak in, and have been using 10W30 VR1 in my engine since. This weekend I'll be changing oil again. I have 6000 miles on my stroker. Keep us informed of what happened.
ilber
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by ilber »

i drove jeep through mountains at 50-80 mph for 357 continuos miles with 2 stop for refueling. had music playing, was extremely windy in passes, but jeep felt really strong and pulled like a raped ape. no vibration, detonation, was about 185F, good A/F ABSOLUTLY no signs! next morning started up, warmed up, drove 3 miles to work, parked it, got out to go to my bldg, drove ~1 mile. parked it. on lunch started and BANG BANG BANG BANG...
took the jeep to the shop, since i am in the middle of nowhere, with 8" of snow.
shop will be swapping cam and i will be eating $1k. i willl buy another 13qt of comp cam break in oil, will have to deal with warantee at compcam, will flip a coin for another cam just to get me running...
ilber
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

Maybe Hesco can overnight a cam? I am running an Engle cam. I like it. They custom grind cams. Maybe Engle could do a rush order. Bullet Cams also custom grinds cams. I would stay away from comp.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

You also need the bearings inspected and the engine cleaned as best as possible to remove any cam particles floating about.
ilber
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by ilber »

cam bearings are at question if they got contimanated. i didn't see any metal resedue on the dipstik ( multiple times).... but metalhad to be somewhere. I told the shop that i want the oil back ( i will probably run the analysis) and to verify that i got the crap out.
i know t-cover and water pump gaskets are 100% to be replaced the rest is by ear...
I will probably run the same cam. procomp promissed me 3 day after the order.
ilber
ilber
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by ilber »

need help... please.
i am asking for assistance since I am using my PDA to post tis stuff, but no real internet for at least another 10 days.
can someone post the place and phone number for mopar parts connecction or something like that for mopar performance/victor thin head gasket,
i need timing cover, water pump ( napa here sucks @$$),
please if anyone got the numbers (part numbers) and phones where i can get the parts, I would greatly appreciate it
ilya
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

MLS .044" compressed head gaskets:
Mopar Performance P4529242
Jeep 53010587AA
Victor Reinz 54249S (available from Carquest using 54249, no 'S')

For the rest of the gaskets you will want a conversion kit. Which only included the items for the block. No head gasket. Felpro number for that is CS81693. $39 at RockAuto

I usually use Monicatti Motors for my dealer parts order. (800) 946-1720

Also might want to try Advance Auto or Autozone for the conversion kit.
ilber
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by ilber »

ok
after 22 minutes on-hold with compcamp finally ordered a cam(will be grind since none on the shelf) along with the lifters+overnight shipping...$250
summit... oh my god!!!the first rep was as usless as tits on a bull, to say that he press ALL of my butons would be understatement, afterward he GAVE ME ATTITUDE... needless to say i had better things to do so i hang up. called another time after work and talk to a guy that had on his agenda NOT to price match or give ANY brakes...after saying f-it. went online and bought 13 qts of oil and MP headgasket from summit. had my meal for the day ( 6:30 pm).... relaxed and just though how shitty i was feeling about spending ANY money with summit.. well did on-line conversation, and just gave my side... the customer rep took off about 15% off my order... frankly, just the fact of them "trying" to work it out was satisfying...
oh yeah C-77 cam bearing, wp gasket, timing set all from local NAPA... i just called and since they were right after the first call to summit i was unwilling to take anymore crap... told the guy what and how to do, for what he was quite receptive... and question my ways... i came out clean and told him... in previous life i used to run NAPA Autoparts store... seemed the guy understood and stopped bs...
mechanic confirmed my diagnose, but didn't teared up engine untill he gets new parts in
i am looking at $700 for mechanics labor
all in all i think i spent as much today as i made... geez