More Titan noises

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: More Titan noises

Post by Flash »

SilverXJ wrote:Yes, I have the dial indicator and attachments. However, I know it is more than .003". I don't think I would notice .003" movement at a quick glance and shake of the valve by hand. For now my plan of action is to buy a good used 0630 head. Have it inspected then do some polishing and porting work. Then have a 3 angle valve job and have the surface flattened. Maybe install larger valves but that would be more money and from recent threads the opinion is that they don't do anything.

No sense in even bothering with Titan about this as I will most likely get another piece of crap from them. Keep in mind that they were suppose to go through this head when they first got it. Then most recently they installed larger valves. That was less than 400 miles ago. Nothing I could have done between when they put the larger valves in and now could have caused this. I wonder if the clowns could have installed smaller stemmed valves. All I know is that they are out of a Dodge 360. Judging from the stem size I would say a late model 215 or something like that.

the 2nt link on both video worked for me :)

I thing thats the best plan of attack on the head! I would leave the stock valves.......and if you could find a new enough one could do some clean up on the ports and not have, to have any machine work done at all.

When cleaning up the bowl area, use some wood dowels to keep the metal out of the guide, like this.
Don't fallow my example of porting here. First becouse it's a Renix head, and 2nt there was a vary bad core shift in this head
right in the middle of the bowl area.....the camera don't show it but the shaded area in the intake was quit deep.

And if you decide to get real ambitious, you can make push rod holes in the head larger here so you can remove the lifter thru the head.
BE careful, you can find a water jacket if you don't take you time!!

as far as the other noise go's.........it sound like a auto with low fluid and the Torque Converter in making noise.........Is it an auto?
Either way, i don't thing it is a detrimental (something is going to brake)noise.
I wouldn't worry about it unless the noise get louder or more consistent.

I now you don't want to here this BUT, because of you problems you have become supper sensitive to sound and vibration( Which is vary understandable! I would, most certainly be the same way, it only natural)

Drive it with you ear well tuned to the eng and find out if its.....just the way your eng sound......or if there is a aggressive wearing part, Yet again

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

The wood dowels seems like a very good idea. I plan on cleaning up the intake runner, clean up the casting around the guides, and open up the ports a bit. On the exhaust side I am going tot ry to polish up the runner. I am probably going to unshroud the valves and polish the combustion chamber too. However, that brings up a question. How do I deal with the change in combustion chamber volume? I know on the head that is installed the combustion chambers are unchanged from stock and the head was only shaved once for flatness. The components and measurements of the bottom end are unknown. DO I just have the head shaved to keep the cc's close to stock as my current head is?

As for the lifer holes I think I maybe pushing my luck a bit with that. However, that would be very conviente espeiclaly in ticking situations like mine.

As for the whrr sound the tranny fluid could be a bit low as I didn't refill it since i removed the radiator. However, why would it be loudest on the intake manifold?

And I agree with you that I am supper sensitive to sounds and weird vibrations. I am like that with all vehicles. However, I am probably the most sensitive on my Xj considering its engine history.
Flash

Post by Flash »

As far as polishing the combustion chambers,.........I didn't polish the chamber down to the point mirror but all the casting bumps were drastically smoother........and i un-shrouded the ex valve out to the gasket surface on the head.
I cc the head before and after i did this. Before 57and 58 cc.....afterwords 58-59cc.

I'm not saying that you couldn't gain a lot of cc in the chamber, if you wanted too.......I was just after smoothing the bumps in the combustion chamber(sharp edges that would, or could cause ping or knocking)and opening up the chamber slight so that air could flow better around the exh valve.

As far as the lifter grinding......there is a lot of metal that will need to be hogged out............and if you change you mind and decide to give it a try............First, remove the thermostat housing, and you can actually see and fill how much material in there to grind......at least from the closet push rod hole.

as far as sound gos...............it can travel a long way before it decide to release it sound......it can fool you as to it original.
That's why i said to us the hose of the stethoscope.........you will here the sound as you here it with out, but will focus the sound to a several inch area.
Give it a try........I might actual point you in a different direction.

I can vary well understaned the ear tune. as I drive my wife crazy when we go on a trip. She try to keep my ear at rest with the radio loud enough that it's imposible to here any problem........when i turn the radio down and turn my head, to hear, she just go's :doh: :roll:.............. :lol:

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Got a used head $90 shipped. Salvage yards here wanted $180 minimum. That wasn't happening. Also picked up a burette off ebay for cc'ing. I also have my original 00 head to practice on first. Finally found a use for that boat anchor.

On the whrr. I found a vib in the center of the oil pan today, but not sure if that is it or not. I couldn't rev the engine while I was under there. Maybe tomorrow I can borrow someone after work to give me a hand (or a foot in this case). If that is where the sound is coming its time for another oil pump. Which will most likely have to wait until I have the head ready and can drive back up to Pa with it. I didn't notice the whrr when I left florida and the oil pump was one of the items replaced. Ugh.. this is just snow balling.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Flash wrote: I can vary well understaned the ear tune. as I drive my wife crazy when we go on a trip. She try to keep my ear at rest with the radio loud enough that it's imposible to here any problem........when i turn the radio down and turn my head, to hear, she just go's :doh: :roll:.............. :lol:
I had to have my father pick me up after the eventful trip to Florida in his Jag XJ8. I got in it and there were a few suspension parts worn in it that made the steering lack feel and lose. On the way back up north it felt like it was hydroplaning there was so little feel at times. Very nerve wracking driving it. Got back and found one bad ball joint and 4 rear u-joints in need of replacement. Given, it does have 180,000 miles on it. But I was like "HOW COULD NOT NOTICE THIS!?!?" His excuse was that he thought it felt different because it was just old. Hell the 95 ZJ I have been driving has better feel.. and he has two other Jags to compare it to. I wanted to kick him in the butt. Its one thing to have things broken, but it would be nice to let me know so I could fix them.. like before I come up for a visit, not when I am actually there. My mother pulled that stunt too. "By the way, my WJ is making a weird noise".. dad says "sounds like an exhaust manifold leak". I still have to attend to the blend doors on the WJ for a second time too. 7 hour commute to fix cars *and not mine) is getting tiresome.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Question about unshrouding valves. All the write ups I have seen mention only unshrouding the exhaust valve, with no mention of the intake valve. Why? Because the direction of the air?

If I need to remove material from one of the chambers for cc'ing where is the best place to remove it from?

And how shinny should I make the exhaust port and the chamber? I could probably get a mirror finish if I wanted to spend the time.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

I'll try to get a pic of my head tonight. I've done the cc and pretty much finished the exhaust ports today using the standard abrasives deluxe porting kit and a die-grinder. I've put about 7 hours into it so far and haven't touched the intake ports yet.
Flash

Post by Flash »

SilverXJ wrote:Question about unshrouding valves. All the write ups I have seen mention only unshrouding the exhaust valve, with no mention of the intake valve. Why? Because the direction of the air?

If I need to remove material from one of the chambers for cc'ing where is the best place to remove it from?

And how shinny should I make the exhaust port and the chamber? I could probably get a mirror finish if I wanted to spend the time.
The ext valve come vary close to the combustion chamber wall, with a a High lift cam.

push the valve up to the top of the chamber and grind there to un shroud.
Grind on the left and right of there for the most CC increase.

Make sure you install a head gasket and scribe the gasket surface before grinding

Grinding thru this line will cause the head gasket to glow,(Bad idea) when eng is running

Flash.

gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

I put the pics in my project thread.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I measured the play on Titan's head today. With the valve 1.8" off the seat play was .015"

Also, since I am taking the head off should I replace the lifters?