1950 chevy truck jeep stroker

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
ccpanel
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 275
Vehicle Year: 1950
Vehicle Make: chevy
Vehicle Model: truck

1950 chevy truck jeep stroker

Post by ccpanel »

well here goes. I’m gonna have to backtrack since I’m halfway through the machine shop but I’m gonna try to be as scientific as possible.

1981 jeep wagoneer 258 chassis underneath a 1950 Chevy truck with modified short dump bed. needed the 4x4 and a tow rig so... no crawlin or bogging for me-all street tires. need the 4x4 for dragging old projects out of the weeds and the occasional snowy road over the mountains to the in-laws we go.

this body

goes onto this 1981 WT frame

makes this

add in the OEM 81 wiring harness w/extraneous wires removed

it was a tight fit but not too bad

you can read more about the body build in my blog; http://yepthisismylife.blogspot.com
ccpanel

Re: 1950 chevy truck jeep stroker

Post by ccpanel »

water pump puked shortly after truck was completed so out came the radiator(only way to reach bolts) Image

the trans was leaking in the shifter link, the reverse hole and the CRAPPY OEM pan so i swapped in a summit pan for some extra juice-fit like a glove and i LOVE it except for the allen wrench drain plug. Image

the valve cover leaked like a pig so i searched high/low to find one w/"258" on the cover instead of 4.2. this is nto a new metric rig so i wanted numbers instead of liters... turns out i wasted $140(its for sale now $100-only has 165 miles on it)Image

its kind of a dog and not the strong power i expected out of an inline 6. ive had wore-out busted up ole chevy 250 6 cyl and they are tons more power in stock config... i was really not thrilled. Image towing my car trailer did fine but was 1/2 the power of my chevy 6. i was to find out later why...

another workhorse shot-this is its intended use-working for its supper... not a show rig. Image

HEI upgrade helped power Image
ccpanel

Post by ccpanel »

well-took the workhorse to redding 75 miles away to get more project parts Image truck was a dog on the way home. halfway there i stopped at dads to dump the parts truck in 'storage' and trans and motor combination didnt have enough power in 2wd to go forward. POS-had to put it in 4LO to drag trailer out from under project. POS. :doh:

engine was really doggin-so much so that i couldn't reach 35mph up a long shallow onramp w/trailer. man-i hate this motor-what have i done? so i started a little Google work-found you guys and the yahoo forum. had an AH-HA moment. so grabbed this running 283k 4.0 out of 89 cherokee. Image had to use my 1955 chevy camper as tow rig since i didnt trust my new truck to drive out of town.

also got a local craigslister to drop off a 91 HO longblock with BIG melted hole in #2 piston Image

had a weird rattle in engine by the time i got home http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0U8zx1noNs

pulled front end to get at timing cover and hoped this was the problem Image

had the time so i thought that while i was waiting for cloyes double roller to show up that i would pull oil pan and make sure that no rod bearings were spun. inspected interior and didnt find anything wrong.
dragged oil pan out-thats a chinese puzzle in frame!-and found these dastardly parts in oil pan

figured i had nothing to lose so buttoned it up and ignored knocking coming from busted #5 piston skirt. by this time dreams of this were dancing in my head -wishful thinking Image
ccpanel

Post by ccpanel »

so with a 4x4 required temp job out in the woods i set off w/my recovery vehicle in the back and a loud radio to drown out the piston slap. Image

so i love being out in the woods-miles away from fridiots and all by my lonesome Image

did a 163 mile day and on my way home on the highway it started making more noise but not much more. trans started gettin weak. so i got off freeway and started on the backroads. got w/in 10 miles of home and thats all she wrote. mocha mud EXPLOSIVELY forcing itself out of valve cover vents. Image BTW-thats a PV 4" to 5" adapter turned on lathe to fit the carb neck. :D

camper to the rescue. called the wife-she came and gave me her car-i hooked camper up to car trailer and ran back to rescue myself. Image
ccpanel

Post by ccpanel »

so a few months of too busy pass and last week into the garage. valve cover off and im greeted w/lovely mocha mud and rust on rockers. Image

this is when i knew i had problems Image

2 gallons of pure clean water came out of oil pan before 2 gallons of mocha mud was drained. might have been more than 4 total gallons but it was close Image

if you look real close you can see two visible of 4 grooves that the piston pin CUT into the cylinder wall before breaking through to water jacket Image

so funny thing-#5 rod had somthing missing! :doh: Image turns out it is also bent over and un-usable.

YEAY!! i get to build a stroker!!! booo-im w/out my truck for longer..
while its all out-im gonna swap the 219 for a 208 and have the 727 built Image
ccpanel

Post by ccpanel »

okay-now for the specs.
rig weighs about 3,600 pounds, i am running 31" street tread tires, and axle is OEM 3.31 dana 44's w/727 trans.

1980 4.0 block bored 0.020 over
1981 serpentine 4.2 4CW crank-centered ground and balanced
unknown 4.2 707 rods w/ARP bolts
sealed power 802cp pistons measured today w/15.5cc dish-i have been more than frustrated w/reading piston cc from 14-18.8 so... bleck-its the 15.5 which i may have SLIGHTLY relieved to lower CR
summitracing carries the 0.43 mopar performance headgasket
so far i have the comp cams 68-231-4
7120 head ported and cleaned up w/stainless valve, conical springs, 1991 OEM header and 1981 carb intake

this is going to be a CARBURETED engine for a lot of luddite and cosmetic reasons-PM me to discuss-this post is NOT a FI vs carb posting!!!

this combo yields 9.79 SCR, 8.56 DCR AND 0.0645 QUENCH

deck the block 0.010 to lower quench yields 9.99 SCR, 8.73 DCR 0.0544 Q which is NOT street pump gas :brickwall:

if i can gain 2cc in head chamber my numbers are 9.78 SCR, 8.55 DCR and same Q still 91 octane :brickwall:

i have 3 options;
1-retard the 231 cam 4 degrees= 9.78 SCR, 8.36 DCR same Q which takes away my bottom end torque :evil:
2-change to the 87-90 RENIX cam which kinda does the same thing but MUCH better numbers= 9.78 SCR, 7.22 DCR
3-use the 231 cam and hog out the head and the piston to gain an overall 4cc= 9.58 SCR, 8.38 DCR, 0.0544 Q

thoughts? input? my goal is street driving under 3,000 rpm and max MPG and max torque off the line up to 2500rpm.
ccpanel

Post by ccpanel »

4th and maybe easiest option depending on the response i get from you wise posters who DRIVE strokers is the following;

stroker 0.020 over, 15.5cc 802cp pistons, 0.043 mopar gasket, and the renix cam advanced to '0' instead of '-8'
block decked 0.020 to almost zero.
-
that gives me 10.20 SCR, 8.06 DCR, 0.0445 quench... thats a HIGH SCR but w/quench under 50 and DCR around 8-it should be drivable at 87 or 89 octane.

drop 2cc out of head chamber and i get real good numbers = 9.98 SCR, 7.89 DCR

drop 4cc total and i get 9.78 SCR, 7.73 DCR

argggg.. my brain is spinning! its a PITA to pull the front fenders every time i need to break into the cam but...
nick
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by nick »

Read the whole blog. Nice project.

I saw your post on the yahoo groups about the cam. I have one from a '90 Renix. Send me a PM.
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Post by Bodo »

cool project. Your pictures aren't showing up for me though :doh:
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

sounds like a really cool project. Need to get those pics working!! :cheers:
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
ccpanel

Post by ccpanel »

RAPTORFAN85 wrote:sounds like a really cool project. Need to get those pics working!! :cheers:

hmmm :?: they seem to be working just fine for me.
try refresh(F5). theres a good amount of pics-maybe internet speed. theres a slight delay for me when they all load. i'm hyperfast cable internet. hmmmm...i also tried breaking the pics up into mult posts. all pics are taken directly out of my blog website which is noted in one of the posts.

edit-well my pics loaded just fine this morning except 1 pic just now-i hit refresh and all pics went away... they were ripped out of my blog-wonder if google-wonderful google is blocking so much traffic. i went to edit my posts(made yesterday) and i cant-admin? help!

i would attach but dont need to take your server space if i dont have to. maybe i have to?

edit-2 seconds after last post
-okay-now some of the pics are working. argghh...
ccpanel

Post by ccpanel »

RAPTORFAN85 wrote:sounds like a really cool project. Need to get those pics working!! :cheers:

well. it appears there is an issue w/google blogger and the pics they are hosting. if i open the pics out of my blog and have them open when i refresh the posting here-the pics show.

any web genius's out there? :brickwall:
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

Those google pictures require that you view them through google first. Once you do so, then you can see them here just fine. Its a google thing and cant be fixed unless they provide an actual "IMG" link to use, or if the pictures get hosted somewhere else.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

Host them on image shack. It's free and works fine for me even tho it's a little slower them some...
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
ccpanel

Post by ccpanel »

I wish as the person who started a topic that i had indefinate edit rights to my own postings... then i could go back and edit pics to be hosted in right location while still keeping flow of the story...
moderator?

--------

and on another front-machine shop wants me to hand him head so he can do some good spec work on fitting parts and get them precise... so i ghetto-rigged a $2 60cc syringe, some $2 OSH plexiglass, food coloring and rubbing alchohol.

with some grease and patience and several tests to ensure accuracy-i measured 53cc on a stock 7120 HO head. :evil:

stroker calc says it should be around 58... so i busted out the die grinder and attempted to use my mind-meld to not go too deep in chamber and hogged out to reach right at 58. calc says i need 4 cc more and looks like i need to get that with piston cutting... bleck!

231-4 cam, 802cp 0.020 hyper pistons at 15.5 measured cc, 043 headgasket, 58 cc-measured head, 020 decked..
all gets me 10.2SCR, 8.92DCR, and 0445 quench.

DCR REALLY concerns me. quench isnt good enough to counter that high CR...
if i can get my piston to 19.5 then i am at 9.78/8.55/0445 and that seems more driveable w/out retarding my cam.
-----------
anyone else measure cc of OEM 7120 head?