1950 chevy truck jeep stroker

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
ccpanel
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 275
Vehicle Year: 1950
Vehicle Make: chevy
Vehicle Model: truck

Re: 1950 chevy truck jeep stroker

Post by ccpanel »

So I am dirt slow. I mean DIRT SLOW.
Saturday 7/28/2018 I pulled my truck up to garage and tore it apart for the cam timing change.
Today I got it halfway backtogether and fired it for 1 second to make sure and it ran good. zero water or belt so shut down quick.
dyno not expected for a while.
While in I got reminded I had installed the Renix 1989 cam 'straight up'

I advanced it the optional 4'

had I had the patience and time, i would have done some research and figured out how to custom advance it. cam gear is 7.5 degrees per tooth.
I wanted to jump it from straight up to 7.5 advance but didnt take teh time to figure out if it would really be 7.5 or be 3.25 or 15 and which direction(dont tell me-cover is permatex on)

next will be a dyno run if seat of pants makes me feel like a difference. Otherwise, after camping season is over, its EFI swap.(this is my tow rig for our vintage camping trailer)
ccpanel

Post by ccpanel »

so seat of pants driving-it pulls better off idle as expected. have not towed or pulled hills yet towing(the prior weak spots)
It likes to come off idle MUCH better.
this tells me a custom or more aggressive cam is probably worth it.
that will be later-first will be putting on the 2001/3(forget) intake and adding EFI.
Not a simple job as I have to figure a way to leverage teh 727 kickdown and line pressure lever required for operation. I am VERY glad i did not use teh stock 4.0 trans-ive THRASHED this 727 and it was built hefty-I tow a lot with it and have seen over 12,000 combined...(do NOT try this at home) which i am sure teh stock 4.0 trans would not have handled.
and im not capable of rowing a stick.

basically need to grab another 100hp out of it. assuming 50-75 are being lost between crank and the ground with the 727 being the biggest power robber.
ccpanel

Post by ccpanel »

Still no dyno runs but it pulled car trailer with stuff on it over 2,000 miles the first week of August 2019 as we fled what my dad always said was the "state of confusion" for freedom in TX.
ran good at every speed and once we crossed the border and trailers werent locked to 55, then I got over 14 mpg at over 70 MPH up hill and over dale.

The route(google maps trick-set your route, then switch to bike mode and it will give you total climbing in feet over your route) was about 36,000 feet of total climbing -up and down and then back up-and repeat...

Only a minor electrical glitch that has been haunting me.. months later-I find out one of my coil connections is loose, dikes and zeero issue since.

Its sure nice to drive here but cant wait till the shop goes up-gotta get it out of this moisture and then it gets teh full treatment-going back to factory 4.0 EFI, either custom cam or group suggested cam and if it doesnt get enough HP after than-its gonna get either a 4BT or LS swap-i have both...

REALLY hate to give up the stroker BUT I towed 12k the other day and it just wasnt enough... (please dont tell me about towing-thats not what this is about)

so-knowing my motor numbers and config and going BACK to factory EFI-what are your CAM suggestions?

its gotta back most or ALL of its power as close to idle as possible and I want to see at least 200hp and 300tq... The LS in the lowest base gets around or more than 300hp(at the crank)
Rickyd
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by Rickyd »

If you tow those 3.31 gears aren't helping at all
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

If you plan on doing a lot of towing, you might want to think about a big V8. A 280 cubic inch 6 cylinder isn't ideal for towing.
ccpanel

Post by ccpanel »

Rickyd wrote: November 21st, 2020, 11:05 am If you tow those 3.31 gears aren't helping at all
Valid but off the line and rpm range seems fine. looking at the dyno sheet, my rpm when towing is pretty close.

Im certain and "ASSUMING" a LARGE part of my problem is lack of EFI and correct cam combined.

the dyno run was rich and i havnt made any changes, ive been having nutter bypass HEI issues for years and have run through MANY HEI modules.

I JUST flipped in a HEI distributor and havnt driven it yet. next is going back to EFI which will need some fab work and a new external pump.
weather and lack of shop completion pretty much mean a full stall for now.
ccpanel

Post by ccpanel »

dwg86 wrote: December 4th, 2020, 7:34 am If you plan on doing a lot of towing, you might want to think about a big V8. A 280 cubic inch 6 cylinder isn't ideal for towing.
yep-i could go to my local wallyworld and grab 1 of 100,000 LS motors out of the parking lot and drive off into the sunset...

ive got a 4BTA sitting running in the yard but not gonna do that either.

ive got SOOO much time and effort into this and its insanely cool to pop the hood and still have an inliner in it....

only other option is a tesla swap.

heck , i got a donor 2002 suburban in the driveway....
ccpanel

Post by ccpanel »

ccpanel wrote: July 17th, 2014, 8:25 pm quick dyno before I post the scan of the sheet.

153 hp
203 tq

thats with 2150 carb in teh 12.99 A/F
nutter bypass HEI ign w/ford TFI coil
rebuilt well but still slipomatic OEM jeep 727 trans
208 transfer case

internet says these things lose 40-60hp front to back and then transfer case losses....
realized i never posted dyno sheet.

ccpanel

Post by ccpanel »

So 2 years ago-it made a coffee can sound and i parked it while building my shop.. gonna pull the front end and new cam and go back to EFI.. after i pull the pan and see if tis fatal. if its fatal it may be time for a 4BTA or whatever else i have laying around since i need my truck running and i got no money layin around to buy off teh shelf.
newcomer builds awesome motors but i will never have that kind of cash.