stay in open loop

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
kptuck
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.9L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

stay in open loop

Post by kptuck »

To address my current issues, I am considering taking the steps to keep my 2000 TJ in open loop at all times.

Does anyone know what steps I have to take to do this? :huh:

Basically my engine runs and shifts great when cold, and then falls flat at 4200 RPM when it warms up.

I have a topic on the Stroker Basics forum if you want to read the details of my dilemna.
Kevin, 2000 TJ - "Casper"
4.9L stroker, Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's, 40" MTR's, 5.38 gears with ARB carriers, Kilby Air, Premier Welder, Walker Evans Bead Locks, Rubicon Express 8" Long Arm, AGR Steering...
kptuck
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.9L
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: stay in open loop

Post by kptuck »

bump :stick:

anyone know if by disconnecting the coolant temp sensor if the PCM will stay in open loop?
Kevin, 2000 TJ - "Casper"
4.9L stroker, Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's, 40" MTR's, 5.38 gears with ARB carriers, Kilby Air, Premier Welder, Walker Evans Bead Locks, Rubicon Express 8" Long Arm, AGR Steering...
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: stay in open loop

Post by SilverXJ »

It appears it does, but you would need a piggy back tuner to make that work. However you will have a check engine light on. I had put some thought into this and I think if you put a resistor in that gives the resistance of a low enough temp the engine light should go off, unless it throws a code similar to "engine hasn't reached operating temp in x time". Also, if you have a 97+ (IIRC) your dash gauge won't work any more. You will also need a Wideband O2 sensor to see your AFR ratios.