Temp. issues w/ cherokee AND me

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
WannaStrokeIt
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Temp. issues w/ cherokee AND me

Post by WannaStrokeIt »

Hello jeep strokers,
I've been researching stroking my '90 cherokee for a while now and have ran into this site numerous times, found it to be a super awesome forum so I finally joined and here's my first post:
I've just recently started owning cherokees and now I'm on my third in a couple years. First one was a beater, overheated a bunch, blew head gasket, sold for a hundred bucks. Bought another for cheap from a buddy, started having a little cooling problems but before it progressed somebody cut me off while going 50 and we totaled. Got insurance settlement and went out and got this 1990 cherokee 5 speed with 150,000miles for a grand. Started putting money into it, noticed the cooling system was severely neglected so I flushed it, and changed the t-stat. This made the motor run nice and steadily cool but I noticed a little leaking from the block so I put some stop leak in to postpone repairs. The leaking stopped but then it seemed the radiator got stopped up also because it started getting very warm every once in a while. I then drained all coolant and filled it up with water only and some prestone flush for neglected systems. I was driving with this in for several days and it seemed to be doing the trick but then started heating up again... so did I :x . I took the t-stat out and tried again but it still hit red. I tend to have a bit of a temper when something doesn't work properly, and this was the third jeep in a row, the straw if you will. After driving it through the neighbor hood I watched the temp needle rapidly climb so I turned towards home cussing, and proceeded to generously rev it till I got there. Then, mumbling and cursing jeeps, Popped the hood grabbed the hose and pulled off the large hose on the thermostat housing and pumped in cold water to block. I think I heard a little (click, tinging) noise and now one or more of the freeze plugs is completely rusted and flushed out. :frustrated: It has now been parked for a while and in my internet researching I have decided I want to bore and stroke it.
Sorry for the huge rant/intro/story but here is my first question for the forum pros before I unleash my stroker q's: In my childlike rage did I quite possibly warp or crack the head, block or any other overheated engine parts?

My guess and my luck is that I probably jacked some sh%@ up if possible, but I just wanted to start with that question to know if I should be looking for a new block (HO) instead of new components for for my block, Like a (HO Head)

Thank you for taking the time to read my rambling and especially thank you for any professional advice,
Tyler
Bend, OR

p.s. I do plan on donating to this site, so I'm not just a info freeloader ;)
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Temp. issues w/ cherokee AND me

Post by Muad'Dib »

I would think its possible that you may have warped something by putting cold water into a very hot block / head. However since you fumbling around with the idea of building a stroker it doesnt matter. When you build the stroker you have everything apart and hopefully most of it machined. The machinist will check the block and head for warpage and usually be able to straighten it out by plaining material off of either surface. This would have been more likely then not done anyway because most people shoot for a zero deck height. In order to achieve this the block is shaved.. (same procedure).

Now if something cracked thats a different story... You would need to replace whatever cracked. If the crack is large enough you might be able to see it when your tearing everything apart. Your machinist can magnaflux it to find out for sure. You can also buy this spray stuff to DIY, but i would just have the machinist do it.

BTW nice to see someone from Bend on this forum!
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!