Look what I scored today for free

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Look what I scored today for free

Post by 1bolt »

A 13" tire... no.. next to it... Yes that's it, a crankshaft and a set of rods encased in a 4.2 out of an "86-ish" CJ7 so it's either 4 counterweight with the long snout that needs grinding/spacer or it's not the long snout. I was hoping it was an old 12 cw but according to the owner it's not that old...

But I've still got some hope though... He didn't know if it had been rebuilt or not, but the first thing I noticed when he was telling me all this was that there's not one but TWO coats of paint on the block... that means it's probably been rebuilt more than once. Unless someone painted the thing while it was still in the Jeep. Which means who knows what's inside the thing. I'll Pull the pan tomorrow and find out.

Anyway this is what I mean when I say a stroker is a great value... Free 4.2's and 4.0's are out there.
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
jeepinwi
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L

Re: Look what I scored today for free

Post by jeepinwi »

I thought I did well when I got my complete 4.2L engine for $5.50! Looks like you outdid me. Well done! :cheers: I'll also add that my engine was from a 1985 CJ and it had a 12 CW crankshaft. I bet that's what you have.
99 Cherokee SE - 2 door, 4x4, 4.6L stroker, 5 speed, 8.25 rear, 60mm TB, stock exhaust
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

I got a '80 258 for $50 on my first attempt at get a crank and rods. :)
Upon disassembly, I found it to be a '79 or earlier 232. :cry:
I was pissed at myself for not checking the #s on the block. It wouldn't have helped, you couldn't read them. It's very hard to tell the 2 engines apart without block #s.
Second attempt went much better, late 80's 258 with 4wt crank and rods for $50. On a side note, while pulling the head, removed all head bolts and head wouldn't come off. Actually lifted entire engine off the ground by the head, still wouldn't come off. When I got it off, I found PO had installed a brand new (rebuilt) head and used silicon on the head gasket. :doh:
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

yeah the only problem with these things is what to do with the head, it took me a year to get rid of my last 4.2 head, for 50 bucks. Eventually found someone who wanted it to rebuild for their 4.2... Problem is the number of people who are putting a stock 4.2 head back on their rigs is pretty small... Bright spot is this head appears to be fresh.

By the time I'm done I'll get my gas money and time back out of it by selling the block and head on Ebay for a few bucks.
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

found this one on craigslist today. is it worth is considering all i need is a crank and rods?
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pts/604521005.html
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by seanyb505 »

I dont think so, considering machining will need to be done.

That reminds me... I was in the junkyard a couple weeks ago looking for a transmission and I found an old cj5 that was in horrible shape. I popped the hood and it did have a 258. What was worse than the condition was that they had it in the pile of crap to go to the crusher. I dont blame them, it didnt look like anything left on it (save for engine) was complete, straight, or not rusted over. I went back to the desk to see about saving it for a while, so I could come back with tools or something the next day. The guy didnt know what I was talking about, so we walked out there together and by the time it got back it was gone! Forever! Never to make my Jeep go fast again. Sad story... :(
Last edited by seanyb505 on March 13th, 2008, 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

for $350 you can buy rods and a crank that are reman'd...
--
Simon
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by Muad'Dib »

Speaking of 258's ... last time i was at the junkyard looking at stuff, there was an AMC car (not sure what it was.. it had like woodgrain on the outside like a wagoneer) that had a I6 in it... Is it a 258? Could i use anything out of it?
Im definetly a "Stroker" noob!
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

Muad'Dib wrote:Speaking of 258's ... last time i was at the junkyard looking at stuff, there was an AMC car (not sure what it was.. it had like woodgrain on the outside like a wagoneer) that had a I6 in it... Is it a 258? Could i use anything out of it?
Im definetly a "Stroker" noob!
was probably a 232
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

Do a search for amc 258 engine numbers. It should be stamped on the rt side of the engine. I got two 258 cranks out of junk yard amc cars. One was a hornet (standard journals) and one was a concord (.010 mains and rods) both 12 wt cranks. It should also say on a sticker under the hood, but you can't always go by that because the engine may have been changed at sometime.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

Oh, and yes you can use the crank and rods.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by Muad'Dib »

I wonder if its still there.. ill have to look when i get back from my 4000 mile trip :o
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

Got another one yesterday this one was out of a 83 CJ also a 4 cw.

Two free 4.2's inside of a week!

Pulled the pans on both and pulled the front main cap and #1 rod end the newest one looks unused. Must have been a freak for changing oil.

On a side note... Both of them have Fram Oil filters... Coincidence :?: :mrgreen:
--
Simon