Newb questions!

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Biggrnjeep97
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Newb questions!

Post by Biggrnjeep97 »

Hey guys,
Been a member for a bit, but im still new to engine building. I dropped my motor off a a friends engine shop a few years back and ran out of money. Now im back and im trying to get some opinions before i buy/build. Option1- Been lookin at getting a set of KB944's, running a stock cam, using a zero deck clearance and a .051" headgasket. Ive always wanted to force induct a motor so this option is what i had in mind. This gives me a dynamic of ~8.6-1. Whats ur experience say? The other option is to use the mopar "stage 3" cam and a .045" headgasket to get the compression up and run NA. Are my thoughts a pipe dream or does my combo "hold water"? :huh:
-Will
4.7 Stroker, AW4, Dana 60, 14Bolt, AtlasII 4.3, 104"Wb, 40" Nittos on Walker Evans
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Newb questions!

Post by Flash »

What is this eng going in........and what are you going to us it for. Like rock climbing, trail pulling, desert racing/drag racing exc.............................

that will help narrow down the vast option available.
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Biggrnjeep97

Post by Biggrnjeep97 »

Sorry. I shoulda noted that. I do alot of 4 wheelin in my '97 wrangler. The load on the drivetrain has increased over the years due to 40" tires and 1 ton axles. I REFUSE to do a V8 so a stroker is where my hearts is. The trans behind it in either a T727 or an AX-15 and the vehicle WILL see some road use. I like the idea of a turbo because it lets the engine idle along offroad until I really want some power. My thought is a T04E T3/T4 Garrett and about 10psi. Not sure how ill manage fuel but i got a few ideas (prob. megasquirt) Thanks
-Will
4.7 Stroker, AW4, Dana 60, 14Bolt, AtlasII 4.3, 104"Wb, 40" Nittos on Walker Evans
Flash

Post by Flash »

Well i have no opinion, AKA knowledge on the forced/turbo setup.

I thing the KB's, 4.0 rod and "0" deck is a good idea.
I would stick with the stock or Maybe the MPP cam P4529228AB (the power range is from 900 and up.........Nah you will be running an auto, us the comp 68-231-4
Get a die grinder and Clean up the flaws in the intake and exhaust ports only! don't enlarge them. a good header, and you good to go.

If it's mostly going to be use off road, go with the thinner gasket and run prem fuel, if need.

Just my .02
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Biggrnjeep97

Post by Biggrnjeep97 »

Thanks for the input. Ill have to check on the PN of the MP cam i have, but does anyone know how much overlap the "stage 3" MP cam has. My experience has always been that higher lift/lower overlap is good for turbo use. If i can utilize it in a Forced inducted stroker build that'd be sweet but my fear of using too much overlap and gaining high EGTs has kept me from thinking i could use it. Also, I was thinking of getting the 4.0 rods shot peened. Anyone done this? and what would you guys says is a safe power rating for them?
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

The mopar p4529230ab cam has 40* of advertised overlap, less than the 46* of the 87-95 and the 43* of the 96-06. The 28ab has 24* and the 29ab has 32*.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003

Post by dwg86 »

Biggrnjeep97 wrote:Thanks for the input. Ill have to check on the PN of the MP cam i have, but does anyone know how much overlap the "stage 3" MP cam has. My experience has always been that higher lift/lower overlap is good for turbo use. If i can utilize it in a Forced inducted stroker build that'd be sweet but my fear of using too much overlap and gaining high EGTs has kept me from thinking i could use it. Also, I was thinking of getting the 4.0 rods shot peened. Anyone done this? and what would you guys says is a safe power rating for them?
Link to my rods. I polished the beams and had them shot peened:
http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... eened+rods
If you click on the pictures they get real big. You can see the texture of the rods
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

The company that shot peened the rods: http://www.peeningconsultants.com/
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Plechtan »

Biggrnjeep97 wrote:Sorry. I shoulda noted that. I do alot of 4 wheelin in my '97 wrangler. The load on the drivetrain has increased over the years due to 40" tires and 1 ton axles. I REFUSE to do a V8 so a stroker is where my hearts is. The trans behind it in either a T727 or an AX-15 and the vehicle WILL see some road use. I like the idea of a turbo because it lets the engine idle along offroad until I really want some power. My thought is a T04E T3/T4 Garrett and about 10psi. Not sure how ill manage fuel but i got a few ideas (prob. megasquirt) Thanks
-Will
If you need a source for the turbo setup, you can PM turboTom, I think he is not too far away from you. Tom is using Megasquirt. Kromer Kraft near Youngstown OH can fabricate to exhaust header and other tubing required. You would have to bring him the car and leave it for a week of so. Prices are reasonable and quality is extremely high. Tom may have somebody more local to the DC area.

Besides the megasquirt, i would look at the Haltech. they have a few features specific to turbos that will work better then the Megasquirt.
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
Biggrnjeep97

Post by Biggrnjeep97 »

Well, I got good news and bad. My buddy sold the turbo out from under my nose, which is a good-ish thing :frustrated: . I think i really need to concentrate on NA for now and poss. forced induction down the road. I have looked into megasquirt in the past and like it cause of its ability to modify ignition timing. I do have a TurboXs DTEC controller that worked well in the past for modding fuel only so i think im gonna start with it and move on if it doesnt perfom well. The benefit to it is its tuned using a GameBoy advance incar. Thank for your guys input. The help is great. I think the rods will be sent out this week to peeningconsultants and the KB944s were ordered by my the builder last week. So now im gonna need to look into a cam for NA purposes. Being as i have a mopar performance on my tool box i may use that unless there are serious issues that im unaware of.
Biggrnjeep97

Post by Biggrnjeep97 »

gradon wrote:The mopar p4529230ab cam has 40* of advertised overlap, less than the 46* of the 87-95 and the 43* of the 96-06. The 28ab has 24* and the 29ab has 32*.
For those interested. I was researching the above suggested cams and found a site with all factory style cam specs: http://www.mo-pod.com/pdf/09_Performanc ... 120908.pdf on page 252.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

The Mopar p4529230ab and the p529229ab cams are no longer available. I had a p4529230ab cam that I had profiled before I sold it. Reed cams profiled it and had cam specs to match the 30ab cam. So they could grind you a cam to match the 30ab specs. I have the sheet with the valve timing specs, duration, lift, and lobe separation.
http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... 9230ab+cam
Biggrnjeep97

Post by Biggrnjeep97 »

Well, i guess its a good idea i bought my 30ab when i was originally going to build the motor! What was your opinion of the 30ab? Did it have characteristics that you did/didnt like over other brands and grinds? Im always looking for input for down the road. Any one have a prefered brand of cam gears/chain? Or is it standard to buy OEM?
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

I wanted a little more duration. Someone on this board bought the 30ab cam. I think he used 1.7 rockers.

As for timing chains, I like the JP Performance or Rollmaster set(all billet, double roller with 9 key ways). You can buy them on ebay.
tomcat
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by tomcat »