Stroker driveline issues

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Stroker driveline issues

Post by Plechtan »

What problems have people seen with auto/manual trannsmissions and D35 rearends when using a stroker?
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Stroker driveline issues

Post by Flash »

D-35 are weak, then put a locker in them.........days are numbered...........

I assume this question is in reference of you salt flat project................
you will not be using 44" moster gumbo :D tires and a vary low gear ratio +low range :o

I thing it would live!?.........My want to us some real good syn, gear lube.

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

I think there are two people on here that have blown their D35 w/ a stroker and another on Naxja. I would change it... I wouldn't want a wheel/axle shaft walking at 100 mph.
Plechtan
Donator
Donator

Post by Plechtan »

The question was more general then specifically relating to the Bonneviille truck. I think i have that covered. The truck was a "metric ton" version with a 2,200lb Payload capacity and came standard with a D44 non c clip version axle. Nobody lets you race with C clip axles. We have a 3.08 ratio with a detroit locker. Because we are running on salt you do not see the shock loads addlied to the driveline like you would with drag racing or road racing. I have a T5 5 speed being built with Mustang Cobra internals and a aftermarket .8 od gear good for about 500 ft/lbs .

My though was that after Bonneville to build a Xj stroker that would be a little more budget friendly. the goal would be 4.9 or 5.0L with 325-350 hp and run on pump gas. I was wondering if a stock driveline would hold up to this much HP without a problem.
Peter Lechtanski
Flash

Post by Flash »

325-350 hp and run on pump gas
With that kind of HP it would NOT be worth using for the eng brake in! :boom: :frustrated: :D

D 44 or the newer Chry 8-1/4

Flash

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
ajmorell
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: ZJ

Post by ajmorell »

x2 on the d44 or 8.25. If you find an 8.25 make sure it is 29 spline not 27. Another option is the Ford 8.8. Same bolt pattern and stronger than the 44 and 8.25
-Andy-
MichiganTech Mechanical Engineering
BSME '09
MSME '10
Plechtan
Donator
Donator

Post by Plechtan »

It seem that the rearend would have to be upgraded, but what about the transmissions? For a standard i think a NV3550 would be a good upgrade for a standard trans, but would an Aw4 hold up?
Peter Lechtanski
Flash

Post by Flash »

If its the b?10 (Peugeot)(87-90) well, is a bigger" POS" then the D35 :deadhorse:

If its the Asian tranny, It tuff as nails!!!!! Way Better then the chry tranny, in my appinion........Not that the chry isn't a good choice.

Flash

yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Post by yuppiexj »

levelten.com can build a pretty much bombproof transmission out of your AW4 (aka A340).

http://www.levelten.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=a340

As far as the Chryco trans. I think that is by far the worst thing mopar did to the ZJ.
Having driven a 93 ZJ with an AW4 and a 95 with the Mopar trans the differences in the drivetrain losses between the two is very noticable.
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

The AW4 should hold up. Levelten is hella expensive and when I requested info on what they could do on the AW4 they sent me some generic info with prices but not exactly what they could do for it.

If I had a choice I wouldn't touch a Chryco transmission with a 10 ft stick. The 95 ZJ has 180,000 miles on it and it has had at least 3 42RE transmissions in its life, maybe more. And the pos in the 4.7L WJ is starting to slip now too.
Flash

Post by Flash »

SilverXJ wrote:The AW4 should hold up. Levelten is hella expensive and when I requested info on what they could do on the AW4 they sent me some generic info with prices but not exactly what they could do for it.

If I had a choice I wouldn't touch a Chryco transmission with a 10 ft stick. The 95 ZJ has 180,000 miles on it and it has had at least 3 42RE transmissions in its life, maybe more. And the pos in the 4.7L WJ is starting to slip now too.
the Asian tranny i was taking about was the ax15(manual) AW4 is and auto.......and is a grate tranny, way better then a chry 42re BUT! if the aw4 fails, there is vary vary few people that can rebuild it to last like it did in the first place. (in my opinion) you are way better off to go buy a 200,000 mile AW4 :o (they are cheap and plentiful) then try and have the one that just failed, rebuilt.

stock for stock (auto) i would take the Aw4 every day over the 42re. How EVER, if your going to beaf up the tranny, theirs plenty of good up graded for the 42re that can make it way stronger then it ever came from the factory!.......and most tranny shop can do it successfully!!!!!!!!!!!!

The aw4 Parts, are hard to come by, and and the price is High!

My self i would go with the AX15 (Asian Manual).................If it came with the Aw4(Asian auto) i wouldn't be afraid to us it.
One extra note on the ax15 the early ones(89-90) used a smaller input shaft bearing(pilot bearing)........and i thing the input spline was smaller as well....91 or newer will have the stronger input.................but i would probably still put the small shaft ax15 in.........it would last to mild abuse :D (will be the one that goes behind my stroker.......If i ever get it built :roll: )

Just some more food for thought ;)

ajmorell
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: ZJ

Post by ajmorell »

SilverXJ wrote:The AW4 should hold up. Levelten is hella expensive and when I requested info on what they could do on the AW4 they sent me some generic info with prices but not exactly what they could do for it.

I agree that the 42re sucks big time.....IN STOCK FORM. I replaced the 42re in my 98 ZJ at around 120k because it was slipping pretty good between 1st and 2nd. The 42re I replaced it with however was built fairly well by a guy locally and now it shifts quickly & firmly and I don't expect any issues even behind a stroker. The 45/545RFE in the WJs behind the 4.7 is a pretty good tranny IMO, and I haven't heard of many issues with them considering they were put behind the 4.7 in the Dodge trucks and the Durango among other vehicles.
-Andy-
MichiganTech Mechanical Engineering
BSME '09
MSME '10
the_wrench116
Donator
Donator

Post by the_wrench116 »

i blew up a d35 in a stock 90 2 door with an auto trans put in a C8.25. still have it in the jeep that i have now.
92 XJ 4D custom borla header 3" exhaust flowmaster 50series muffler.

ATK on the way then an OBD 2 swap so flyin ryan can tune.
Jeep4xb4u
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Make: XJ 2dr
Vehicle Model: Sport

Post by Jeep4xb4u »

I've been rockin the D35 under mine since the day i purchased it and it was stock. Its been lifted 6+ inches on 33's for about 6 years and has had 4.88's in it for about 2. I consider my extremely lucky that i haven't run into any issues with it seeing how i do not baby it by any means. It doesn't see the mud as much as i originally planned but it has held up in a few surprising situations. :o

I would not recommend the turdy five under any jeep with a stroked engine. I picked up my D44 out of a manche at the local Pick and Pull for a sweat $100 drum to drum with a limited slip diff. Just have to flip the perches.
88' XJ 2dr
4.0l / AW4 / NP231 / D35c
6.5" Long Arm Lift - 33x12.5's - 15x8 Mickey's

Currently working on 4.6l / D44 Swap
HemiGremi
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by HemiGremi »

What about conversion kits to Turbo 400's 350's or 700R4's?