Lifters FAQ?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Lifters FAQ?

Post by PolloLoco »

I have chosen everything I need except push rods and lifters. There's an FAQ on push rods and I'm not going to order them until I use a push rod length measuring tool but for lifters I'm lost. There's not one-stop shop for all info I need on lifters. I've read about cam saver lifters, good and bad, but what are my choices?
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Lifters FAQ?

Post by dwg86 »

Its my understanding that comp cams and stanadyne lifters are the only lifters made in USA. I contacted Crower a while back. They didn't know who made thier camsaver lifters. Sealed Power told me thier lifters were made in Mexico. I'm not saying they are an inferior product, just not made in USA.

I ended up buying a set of Stanadyne lifters from Racer Brown. They were $60.00 shipped.
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

A quick survey of the "Johnson Lifter" website doesn't specify the country of origin?, but I've installed thousands of them, they come in "Sealed Power/SpeedPro" and "Clevite" boxes and had no issues with them.
Proper breakin is crucial, DIP/GOOP!!! the cam lobes and lifter basses in MOLLY engine assembly lube, I "pump up" the lifters before I install them too, and have NEVER! bent a pushrod or valve, if you don't want to pump them up during install go ahead and let them slap the crap out of your new cam!!!, I'll continue to pump them up! and as soon as oil pressure comes up (pre lube is always recommended!) run it right up to 2000rpm's for 20-30 minuets! and run oil approved for old school flat tappet cams!
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
5-90
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!

Post by 5-90 »

Check to see if Rhoads lifters are still made here in the States. I've used them on plenty of engines with excellent results, and I do recall them offering a lifter for our beloved AMC six
Kelley's Works in Progress - http://www.kelleyswip.com
KWiP Parts Exchange - http://www.kelleyswip.com/exchange.html

"I don't think any of us will ever forget Louie. Ever since the explosion, there's been a little piece of him on all of us..."