Renix HO Head

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
Wannesd
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Renix HO Head

Post by Wannesd »

Hi everybody,
first time poster here!

I Have a renix engine right now (89 Xj), and was looking for a little pick-up in performance after fitting my 33's...

I am not sure about a couple of things, so here goes:

If I fit the HO head (7120 or 0630), and mate a 99+ intake, what do I need in order of other mods?

I know my tps needs to be adapted to keep the renix electronics, but I'm especially confused about the powersteering pump mount.
Everywhere I read said that in order for the 99 intake to work, you need a new PS pump and bracket. But since my engine is a renix, what do I do? In my setup, the PS pump is also the belt tensioner...
Can this even be done?

This is the partslist I have come up with so far, please advise if I left something out:

7120 or 0630 HO Head with valve cover and CCV lines
258 Crankshaft 87-90 for the short nose - no spacer needed
Standard 242 pistons, .030 overbore
99+ intake manifold
HO fuel lines, fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator
HO tranny kickdown cable and throttle cable
HO throttle body with tps still attached for modding into renix tps

Header for HO head, not sure which one yet?
Injectors for HO (stock or aftermarket?)
edit: which cam would go good with this?

Any other things I have forgotten?

Thanks for the help guys!
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Re: Renix HO Head

Post by yuppiexj »

If you live in the US and intend to drive on the street, you'll need to figure out an EGR setup.
I too have a Renix that will (eventually) get a 4.6 stroker with a HO head.

My plans are to machine a flat pad onto the manifold drill and tap mounting holes, then fabricate an EGR tube to the exhaust manifold that connects to a newly welded on bung.
It's far too much effort for a pointless law that saves nothing. The HO ran with more power and less emissions without EGR, proving it's not needed.

If you switched to 33s I;d suggest a regear to 4.56s.

I did the swap on my 94 (which had a PS mount/tensioner comparable to the Renix (I have a 90 and 94, and 2 dead 88s)
As far as the power steering setup, you need a new style mount and PS pump w/ pulley(I modified my 94 pump and swapped the pulley).

Call a junkyard and you can probably get the mount with the pump for a few more dollars.

short version
1. Figure out EGR
2. Regear
3. Get a pump with the mount.
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
Wannesd

Post by Wannesd »

First of: thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I live in belgium (europe), and emissions here are not that strict. You just need to pass a co2 test, nobody looks under the hood, so as long as it runs clean enough, all's well. No EGR needed, which is good!

I actually bought the car with 33's, and 4.10 gears. (I believe the PO actually just swapped axles with a 2.5 liter cherokee, which has the 4.10 gears)
Too much cost and effort for me to swap gears now, considering they are already larger than stock. Maybe when i upgrade the axles though...

Would it be a lot of trouble for you to take some pics of what PS setup you have now and what you had to convert? Jeeps on junkyard's here are rare, so I need to get my homework done thoroughly before I attempt this...

Thanks!
the_wrench116
Donator
Donator

Post by the_wrench116 »

hey i've got a renix head and block and a high output intake and exhaust manifold manifold. went with a header about a month ago and fabed up a new set of 2.5 inch exhaust pipes then went to three inch for a different sound. i wouldn't worry to much about the EGR function as its kind of useless. the latter stuff doesn't have it and they run better. go figure :huh: good luck.
92 XJ 4D custom borla header 3" exhaust flowmaster 50series muffler.

ATK on the way then an OBD 2 swap so flyin ryan can tune.
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Model: XJ 2 door

Post by gonridnu »

K I'm in the same boat....I have a Renix vehicle and am working on the shortblock now. This is what I have figured out so far......

To swap the block:

I have to tap the NVH block for a knock sensor.

To swap to HO head and manifold (which I would like to do but don't HAVE to):

1. It appears I need to go find a 91-95 manifold as the 96 I have does not have the FPR mounted on the fuel rail.
2. To utilize the newer manifold/TB it appears I will need to change the throttle cable and maybe cruise control cables.
3. It appears I will need to tap a hole for a temp sensor in an existing boss on the 96 cylinder head.
4. To use the newer style TB I need to fabricate or buy a Hesco throttle position sensor adapter
5. It appears my Borla header will work by welding a bung in the EGR hole
6. I read somewhere...maybe here...I have to change the power steering bracket

Finally I am wondering about the wiring to the TPS, IAC, and Map sensors....is that pretty straight forward? Can anybody give a definite answer on it or point me towards a thread that will detail it. Does someone make a harness? Help!!!!
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator

Post by yuppiexj »

1. It appears I need to go find a 91-95 manifold as the 96 I have does not have the FPR mounted on the fuel rail.
---The fuel rails are all swappable I'm running a 94 rail on a 99 intake. I verified that it also fits in my spare 89 intake. Use the Renix rail.

2. To utilize the newer manifold/TB it appears I will need to change the throttle cable and maybe cruise control cables.
--- Have Renix TB bored contact oletshot for info on that then use renix to HO TB adapter http://www.rockmodified.com/Tech/TB/tb_perf.htm you won't need the sensor juju

3. It appears I will need to tap a hole for a temp sensor in an existing boss on the 96 cylinder head.
--- I used a thermostat housing with a temp sender hole drilled and tapped (can't recall if built it or bought it) and lengthened the wire.

4. To use the newer style TB I need to fabricate or buy a Hesco throttle position sensor adapter
--- see number 2

5. It appears my Borla header will work by welding a bung in the EGR hole
--- lightly tack it in place so it will pass visual inspection IMHO there is no need for a functioning EGR on any reasonably tuned Renix

6. I read somewhere...maybe here...I have to change the power steering bracket
---- bracket and pump need to change (although the old pump can be made to work by drilling out the threads on some/all of the bolt holes ) if you are using a 2000 intake

Finally I am wondering about the wiring to the TPS, IAC, and Map sensors....is that pretty straight forward? Can anybody give a definite answer on it or point me towards a thread that will detail it. Does someone make a harness? Help!!!
Use the Renix TB after it has been bored and avoid all wiring mess.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

yuppiexj wrote:If you live in the US and intend to drive on the street, you'll need to figure out an EGR setup.
I too have a Renix that will (eventually) get a 4.6 stroker with a HO head.

My plans are to machine a flat pad onto the manifold drill and tap mounting holes, then fabricate an EGR tube to the exhaust manifold that connects to a newly welded on bung.
It's far too much effort for a pointless law that saves nothing. The HO ran with more power and less emissions without EGR, proving it's not needed.

If you switched to 33s I;d suggest a regear to 4.56s.

I did the swap on my 94 (which had a PS mount/tensioner comparable to the Renix (I have a 90 and 94, and 2 dead 88s)
As far as the power steering setup, you need a new style mount and PS pump w/ pulley(I modified my 94 pump and swapped the pulley).

Call a junkyard and you can probably get the mount with the pump for a few more dollars.

short version
1. Figure out EGR
2. Regear
3. Get a pump with the mount.
Why do you say this ? Are you a government agent with countrywide authority ? Where I live, in the US, we do not have emissions checks. Comments like this are simply wrong and can mislead the less informed.

Living in Belgium I don`t think he can simply call the junk yard and get all the parts he needs. :doh:
93 4.0 block
12 weight 4.2 crank
.080 Diamond pistons
Eagle rods
balanced
274/480 Cam
Mopar rollers with Engel springs
.043 Quench @ 9.48 Compression
Ported head
01 intake with 64 mm TB
Edlebrock header
Misc other stuff

Don`t need a Hemi.
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator

Post by yuppiexj »

DICLAIMER: not starting a flame war.

It wasn't until after I posted the comment did he say he lives in Belgium Note my handy disclaimer "IF YOU LIVE IN THE US".

Same thing goes for the junkyard suggestion. I doubt finding a 96-2001 XJ power steering pump or mount is difficult http://shop.benl.ebay.be/jeep-pomp

My followup post today also notes the ability of making the old pump work with the mount. once found.

How is posting accurate information misleading?
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Model: XJ 2 door

Post by gonridnu »

yuppiexj wrote:1. It appears I need to go find a 91-95 manifold as the 96 I have does not have the FPR mounted on the fuel rail.
---The fuel rails are all swappable I'm running a 94 rail on a 99 intake. I verified that it also fits in my spare 89 intake. Use the Renix rail.
I don't think so....I have a Renix rail and it is nowhwere near the same mounting as the 91 - later stuff. The 91 later manifolds use and angled mounting pad that is roughly the same angle as the injectors and the Renix rail utilizes flat mounting pads that are parallel with the mounting flange of the TB....if u want pics I can prove it. It's one of the ways U can spot Renix motors at the wrecking yard when they are half stripped.

If you want to retain the return style fuel rail with a later TB you can use the 91-93ish HO style fuel rail on the later manifolds. They are a return style system also, which is preferable to the later dead head fuel systems that are regulated in the fuel tank for a variety of reasons.

You will need fuel lines for those years only (91-93 or is it 95 I forget) because the outlet hose is located in a different place on the fuel rail. You will need the hard and fuel lines from the rear of the vehicle to the front because the Renix lines were one piece from front to rear without a way to disconnect the rubber line from the hard line, otherwise it would have been way to easy. I just pulled some from an HO last week and put them in my 89 Renix....It's actually quite simple and now if a fuel line needs replaced it is a quick disconnect like it should have been all along.
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator

Post by yuppiexj »

Holy Crap, you're right. I just lined up the rail to check for injector alignment. Didn't look at the mounting.

I completely agree on the full flow regulators, cooler pump operation etc.
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj&mj

Post by 4.whoa »

You would have to check your local laws,(U.S.) but iirc you can "upgrade" to a newer engine that was offered in the same line of vehicles. So if you use the HO int and exh manifolds-they go together- you SHOULD be ok. Just pull the egr solenoid from the fender so some fool doesn't get confused. Might not fly in occupied C.A. :mrgreen:
-Russ

4wd is fun, but 2wd is a BLAST
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

Oleshot no longer bores the TBs, but still dishes pistons. I should be getting back my eliminator's bored TB from Jeff@Leigh Performance Machine this week.
Don H Jr
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1994

Post by Don H Jr »

Not meaning to sound like a meanie, BUT YOU HAVE LOTS OF RESEARCH TO DO ON YOUR OWN, so you ask the right questions of these gurus.

Don Jr.
Don H Jr
Vehicle Year: 1994

Post by Don H Jr »

On the subjects of EGR and PCV: My 1994 HO 4.0 is factory legal and has neither of these installed at factory.....what I have is better of course. The CCV system simply routes fresh air from after air filter in intake system to top/front of valve cover L shaped plastic (icckk) inlet tube. In rear of valve cover on top is an L shaped looks identical to front BUT IT"S NOT SAME AT ALL. This rear one has an orface built in so only so much vaccum can be consumed from the intake manifold where the oil blowby is to pass for burning in intake/cylinders.

BE CAREFUL. ENGINES HAVE BEEN RUINED BY MIXING UP THE TWO L SHAPED INLETS or having TWO REARS USED by accident.

LOng story short the CCV system is far better, simpler, but another note of caution. SOme years of CCV like mine have too small an orface in back Lshaped fitting. Using a newer system (cheap from dealer) from maybe an 98 or newer will increase your success with ridding of pesky and troublesome blowby issues from valve cover. Not meaning to contradict what I just said, don't bother to buy the rear L Shaped outlet for a 98. WOn't fit your cover. Just open up the one you have currently in the rear a bit larger. While you are at it you will find lots of carbony looking material to also clean out. When you are at it, get the 98 or newer vac line to the intake, it is bigger and wont plug up all the time, also get the fitting that screws into intake, it's also bigger and may take a drill or imagination.