What oil you guys running

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
StroktWJ
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Grand Cher

What oil you guys running

Post by StroktWJ »

I'm about to hit 500 miles on my new stroker build and was considering switching to a synthetic like Mobil 1,10w-40 any opinions or preferences?
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 4.6L Stroker.
#727 Crank
Clevite 3415 Pistons
91-95 Camshaft
7120 Head
00 Intake
Magnaflow Muffler
Offroad Pipe
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: What oil you guys running

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

Valvoline VR-1
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

I personally would wait till about 1000 or 1500 miles before i changed over... but when i do im going to use some mobil 1 EP.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I would wait longer too. When I change mine to syn (probably around 4000 miles) i'm going with Amsoil.
mendelmax
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by mendelmax »

I run Mobil 1 5W50, but I consider switching to 0W40 for winter. I guess that generally any good synthetic in range between 40 and 60 will be ok, but the exact choice depends on your particular engine usage. If it's street driven I would stick to 40, but if you use it on trails, 50 may be a way to go :rockout:
SIXPAK
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 280

Post by SIXPAK »

Brad Penn
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I ran Joe Gibbs break in oil for the 30 minute cam break in. I am currently running Valvoline VR-1 10w30.
buschguy
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by buschguy »

I was planning on switching to AMSOIL after the break-in period, but after reading some anti-synthetic threads I am now having second thoughts.
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Post by Bodo »

Synthetic is superior to dino juice at every level. Products like Amsoil and Mobil-1 are great after break in.
StroktWJ
Donator
Donator

Post by StroktWJ »

Just hit 500 miles on the way to work this morning, definitely doing an oil change when I get home .Seems that everyone is in agreement that I should run standard oil for at least 1000 miles. I guess I will do another run of standard oil and wait another 1000 miles then jump to synthetic. :rockout:
#727 Crank
Clevite 3415 Pistons
91-95 Camshaft
7120 Head
00 Intake
Magnaflow Muffler
Offroad Pipe
StroktWJ
Donator
Donator

Post by StroktWJ »

Any body try the new Quaker State synthetic yet? Advance Auto has a Mobil 1 filter ($14.00) and 5 quarts of Quaker State Synthetic ($6.59 pc) for $24.99

I know I will have to buy an extra quart but that's almost $50.00 worth of oil change goodies!
#727 Crank
Clevite 3415 Pistons
91-95 Camshaft
7120 Head
00 Intake
Magnaflow Muffler
Offroad Pipe
cavaliers1323
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by cavaliers1323 »

For anyone interested there was a recent virgin analysis of VR-1 10w30, I also had one performed on Redline 5w40. Both of which, as well as many others, can be veiwed on bobistheoilguy.com/forums (BITOG) in the virgin oil analysis (VOA) section.

Making a recommendation on oil choice is a very difficult thing to do, as it is highly dependant on your conditions. There are many variables, i.e. driving style (do you let your oil warm before "getting down on it," are you constantly on the rev limiter, etc.), ambient temps, OCI (oil change intravel), short trips (excessive idling, oil doesnt reach operating temp, varying RPM's) vs. long trips (oils warmed, constant RPM's), and of course all engines are different. Not to mention people get their panties in a bunch when this subject arrises!

What are you currently running? What oil was used for break-in? What was your break-in procedure?

I'd wait at least 3,000mi to ensure complete, proper break-in before running an OTC SM oil (synthetic or conventional). Break-in is probably the most important stage in a motors life, and OTC oils just won't cut it. Please use an oil made for break-in or an additive. Using synthetic oil during break-in is a highly debated subject, which I personally dont buy into.

MFG recomendation is 10w30, so IHMO any Xw30 should be fine. A lot of R&D (time and money) is spent by the engineers of the motor on this subject. Matter of fact they usually have a viscosity grade in mind whilst developmg the motor! This includes 0w30, 5w30, and 10w30.

As perviously mentioned it is really dependent on your conditions, i.e. If you see higher temps than maybe a 40w would be a better idea. However personally I would recommend against a 50w or higher.

If your worried about ZDDP levels (another highly debated subject in which I don't buy into), then go for a 40w. As 30w SM oils have a 800ppm zinc/phos max, however 40w and up do not have any restrictions. Or you could run your choice viscosity that does not meet SM requirments, such as the oils listed above. They are all excellent oils IMHO. Honestly this is not something that worries me as SM oils are backwards complant, and there are two flat tappet tests that the oils have to pass to obtain the SM rating. More importantly is break-in, that is when you need the loaded oils.

There are a ton of other things to consider when choosing an oil, however it would take hours to explain in detail. If you really care about this matter, than you need to do a lot of research. If it's not something that interests you, then just take your choice of Amsoil, Redline, Joe Gibbs, Brad Penn, VR-1 etc. And give them a call and ask them which product they recommend.

Hope that helps a little.
ajmorell
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: ZJ

Post by ajmorell »

buschguy wrote:I was planning on switching to AMSOIL after the break-in period, but after reading some anti-synthetic threads I am now having second thoughts.
Based on what? Amsoil has sufficient ZDDP levels, especially if you run their race oil.
-Andy-
MichiganTech Mechanical Engineering
BSME '09
MSME '10
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

http://jeep.blackonyx.net/forum/Amsoil% ... Tappet.pdf Info on Amsoil oil with good levels of ZDDP.
cavaliers1323
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by cavaliers1323 »