Finding A Good Machine Shop

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
SlapFish
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Finding A Good Machine Shop

Post by SlapFish »

Hey I just tore down a pretty good looking block to stroke, and now I'm sending it off to get properly machined. I've never had to send an engine out to get machined, so I'm a bit new at knowing where the good places are. I live in Charlotte, NC.

Now I know this is a very limited question since not everyone lives anywhere near me, but maybe you guys know a better way of finding these places than google. Google just returns Yellowbook pages and stuff. Not that it doesn't help, I just don't know of a way of finding a good place.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Finding A Good Machine Shop

Post by Muad'Dib »

Do you know anyone in your area that has had any kind of machine work done? Anyone that enjoys working on engines?

Word of mouth is going to be the best thing here. If you have friends / family that have experience with anyone then hopefully they can give you a recommendation.

If not, does your area have a local community forum? Craigslist? Make a post on there asking about decent machine shops in that area and see what they say. Then maybe you can narrow the responses you get down to just a couple and make a better informed decision.

Hope that helps.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Re: Finding A Good Machine Shop

Post by yuppiexj »

My take on the "find a good machine shop" quest.

Go to the local racetrack (mud bog, drag strip, road course) doesn't matter.
Ask the top 4 finishers in the not sponsored class (sportsman/street stock/whatever )

At least 3 of them will use the same shop.

In my hick town, it's a tiny shop off of a hidden little road in the depressed downtown section.
They beat the big shop in town by 40% on fees.
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.