Am i going to need it?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
kkchevy3
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Am i going to need it?

Post by kkchevy3 »

im currently in the middle of a 4.6 stroker build for my 91 wrangler. My question is do you think im going to need a MAP adjuster? Im going with the 24# injector also. Secondly if i wanted to do an A/F ratio gauge to aid in tuning the MAP what would i need. Can i use the O2 sensor thats in the jeep now or do i need a different one.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Am i going to need it?

Post by SilverXJ »

I can't give you a definite answer on the map sensor mod..

for an AFR gauge you can't use a the stock sensor as it is a narrow band and won't give you any info that is useful. I would recommend an AFR setup with data logging. That way you could find a nice open stretch of road, preferably one with an incline, hit the gas and then pay attention to the road and not the gauge.. later go back and pull the data off and see what you need to do.
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by PolloLoco »

Can the stock sensor be replaced with a wide band sensor? I have OBD II software for my laptop which can do the data logging and pull the O2 sensor data from OBD II, along with RPM and speed.
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

You can replace the stock O2sensor with a wideband sensor, however the PCM will not be able to use the wide band data, so the wideband controller will need to have an analog output for the narrow band. So no, you can't plug a wideband into the vehicle harness and have the PCM work with it.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by Muad'Dib »

Couldnt you just weld in another bung and have the wideband o2 in place permanantly?
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Post by yuppiexj »

Muad'Dib wrote:Couldnt you just weld in another bung and have the wideband o2 in place permanantly?
I forget that not everyone on this board has a welder/friend with a welder. Some of us don't even have a garage with which to work on our Jeep in.
I fall into this trap sometimes as well.
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

I dont have a welder, nor do i even have friends ... but how much could it really cost for a shop to do it for you???
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
kkchevy3
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by kkchevy3 »

can anyone answer the question of the map adjuster? should i just build one and if the motor runs bad throw it on and see if it helps? Also with the homemade one, could i run the dial to control the map into the cab somewhere? And whats a wideban o2 sensor and gauge run?
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Your probably going to need the map adjuster... even if only to fine tune it a little better. I personally would try it all without and then see what happens. If you feel it needs some fine tuning, build your own map adjuster and give it a shot.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

The problem is that if you have issues under WOT you don't tell that much from just the way it runs. You can burn valves with out pinging or wash the cylinder walls, depending on which way it goes. I got my wideband setup for $300 IIRC, sensor and gauge with data logging.
laxplayermjd
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1988

Post by laxplayermjd »

i know nothing about setting up an air fuel meter. I would like to set one up in my xj, but i do not need data logging, Could you just get a gauge and a wide band sensor? Could you recommend one? $300 almost what i paid for my jeep lol. Sorry dont want to hijack.
BMW Master Tech
ASE Master Tech
Even BMW guys need a toy.
In process 4.6l Renix Build.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

I recommend innovate's lc-1 wideband o2 and you can pick and choose your gauge(analog, digital, colors, etc)--should be less than $200 shipped on ebay. I bought the lm-2 w/ datalogging for $360 shipped. Innovates do have narrowband outputs as well so you can totally remove the upstream o2 and use that location for the wideband o2 and tap into the 12v heater circuit and the output that goes back to the pcm(I'd unplug an old o2 from the JY, cut off the sensor and use the tails to connect the Innovate). Anyhow, you really need the wideband to determine which way you need to tweak the adjustable map. I suppose if you were hearing pinging at WOT that you could up the voltage until you no longer heard it w/o seeing the afrs that a wideband would provide. You could also use a scanner to view the fuel trims and get an idea if you need to add fuel or pull it out(-trims mean pcm is pulling fuel out, +trims mean pcm is adding fuel). What BMW(s) do you have(or had)?