ATK 4.7 Stroker

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Burns
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

ATK 4.7 Stroker

Post by Burns »

Has anyone heard about this company and there motors. They offer a complete 4.7 stroker for $2500. Any comments
gmakra
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Re: ATK 4.7 Stroker

Post by gmakra »

You get what you pay for.
SPC Fowler
Noob
Noob

Post by SPC Fowler »

gmakra wrote:You get what you pay for.
while this may be true isn't this ATK company the same that Mopar is adding to there catalog ? and didn't these guys win the baja 1000 with one of there stroker motors ? you answer was very vague I think next time do some research before crushing someones dreams :mrgreen:
02 TJ 4" teraflex 33"x13.5 nitto mud graplers D30/35 3.73 TB spacer K&N intake custom 10"(just4effects) subbox infinity everything
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Plechtan »

I do not know anything about ATK or their engines, but when you build your own, you get to set your compression ratio, deck height, quench and select a cam that meets your needs. You should probably ask some questions, like can you run on regular unleaded or will you need to run a plus grade fuel?. Will you have to install bigger injectors? What tuning will be required? Does it need a headers?

The engine is in the middle of the intake, engine control and exhaust system, you have to make sure you will not need to spend money on additional parts.
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
gmakra
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by gmakra »

SPC Fowler I appreciate your comment, but on the other hand I went the way, of an off the shelf stroker. It was a Golen 4.6 it lasted 5000 miles and when the autopsy was done the workmanship and quality of parts really came into light. Cam bearings 2 and 3 were completely wiped out. The end gaps on the pistons all lined up cylinder after cylinder. The head work was ok but in the end I payed 4 grand for a block, crank, rods and a cylinder head. I followed Golens instructions to a tee but proper break in of a sloppily built engine will not change the fact it was tossed together. I talked to Chad and he more or less brushed it off.

I have since rebuilt it locally and got what I wanted and it runs much better than the Golen ever did.

I am not the only one who has had trouble with Golen I know half a dozen guys who have had problems. Titan also has a lot of negative reviews.

So now lets get down to my comment you get what you pay for. A stroker short block for 2500 I have looked over the specs and it sure does appear that the only thing different is the crank and rods everything else is standard engine rebuilders special. So figuring their rebuilt engines go for 1500-1700 you have paid 800 or better for a 4.2 crank and rods.

Why not just build something you want from the get go.
StroktWJ
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Grand Cher

Post by StroktWJ »

gmakra wrote:You get what you pay for.
This is not always the truth.
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 4.6L Stroker.
#727 Crank
Clevite 3415 Pistons
91-95 Camshaft
7120 Head
00 Intake
Magnaflow Muffler
Offroad Pipe