Intake/exhaust heat wrapping?

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Intake/exhaust heat wrapping?

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

Anyone ever done this? I was thinking about putting some heat shielding wrap on my intake to keep cooler charges into the engine. Also wrapping the header as it is so close to the intake. It seems like a good idea and should drop the intake charge a good amount, creating more power. What do you guys think? Anyone tried this?
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
gmakra
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Re: Intake/exhaust heat wrapping?

Post by gmakra »

My thoughts are along these lines. If you wrap your headers with an insulation only apply it to wear there maybe contact with some thing you don't want to burn like wiring. Wrapping the whole header with destroy it quickly.

And if you wrap the intake you are likely to raise the temps in your manifold due to heat conduction from the head and the only cooling will be the air going through the manifold.
mendelmax
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by mendelmax »

I wrapped my wole exhaust manifold (the stock one... yet ;) ), and the difference is pretty amazing- you can easily touch the exhaust now. The intake seems to be cooler than it was before, but since this is only feeling by hand, I might be wrong.

Anyway, it has to help some with underhood temps, and rather won't hurt anything. The heat will be absorbed by head and exhaust pipe, so I think there won't be any damage this way.

I also agree that wrapping the intake is not the best idea for the reason stated above. I would however consider polishing or insulating in some other way the bottom side of the manifold, so that it reflects the heat from the exhaust (though MUCH cooler it will still be somewhat hot).
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

You could use a thin piece of sheet metal between the exhaust and intake manifold. Similar to what GoJeep did:

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoIntakeShield.htm
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

RAPTORFAN85 wrote:Anyone ever done this? I was thinking about putting some heat shielding wrap on my intake to keep cooler charges into the engine. It seems like a good idea and should drop the intake charge a good amount, creating more power. What do you guys think? Anyone tried this?
I did. Take a look:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/manifold.html
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Comanche91
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: JeeP
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Comanche91 »

Not wrapping, but a heat shield between the headers and the intake if you're running the 99+ intake. Works well and lowers the intake and injector temps. Factory part.

91 Comanche LWB, AW4, Hesco 4.6L, D44 Trac-lok, CHROME freak, ROLL TIDE
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

Well if it's something that the factory implemented then I highly doubt it will hurt the engine. Definitely will lower the intake temps, Seems like a good idea to me. I will post some pics when I do it. I am leaning towards making some kind of shield rather then actually wrapping the manifolds. We will see how it goes!
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

Comanche91 wrote:Not wrapping, but a heat shield between the headers and the intake if you're running the 99+ intake. Works well and lowers the intake and injector temps. Factory part.

You got a part number for that puppy?
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Post by yuppiexj »

lafrad wrote:
Comanche91 wrote:Not wrapping, but a heat shield between the headers and the intake if you're running the 99+ intake. Works well and lowers the intake and injector temps. Factory part.

You got a part number for that puppy?
Try 53013669AA (Using Google to find this part will give you a lot of PDF part lists for your tech references)

I found it here http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manu ... s_Catalog/
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
mendelmax
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by mendelmax »

If it is ON the manifold rather than BELOW, then it can only rise the intake temperature, because it doesn't let it to radiate the heat. IMHO it is intended only to keep the injectors cooler. Now if you'd do the same thing BELOW, then I can imagine the benefits from it. :cheers:
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

That shield is part of a recall. It doesn't keep any think cooler. What it is intended to do is keep debris from gathering in the area neat the header, and keep it from hitting the header and causing a fire. It also does nothing for the fuel injectors.
Comanche91
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: JeeP
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Comanche91 »

SilverXJ wrote:That shield is part of a recall. It doesn't keep any think cooler. What it is intended to do is keep debris from gathering in the area neat the header, and keep it from hitting the header and causing a fire. It also does nothing for the fuel injectors.
Pretty broad statement, but I doubt you can back it up your "doesn't keep any think cooler" claim. But you are correct right regarding the recall. More bum dope I received from the dealership. :huh: Did some digging; this is the recall:

http://www.allworldauto.com/recalls/NHT ... 48869.html,

part number is CBXCB060, about $3. I've had it on my intake for some time now, no adverse effects, and will keep it for now and do some injector/intake temp checks w. and w/o the shield.
91 Comanche LWB, AW4, Hesco 4.6L, D44 Trac-lok, CHROME freak, ROLL TIDE