Will a having a stroker change my overhead display readings?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
BREEZE1
Noob
Noob

Will a having a stroker change my overhead display readings?

Post by BREEZE1 »

I’m planning on putting a 4.7L stroker in my 98 cherokee, but I was wondering will it change my readings on my mpg, range on my over head display? Or is there a way to recalibrate it for having larger injectors? Its not too big of a deal if its not accurate but it is a cozy fetcher in my jeep that I really like.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Will a having a stroker change my overhead display readings?

Post by SilverXJ »

Installing larger injectors will change your OHC read out. There is no way I know of calibrating it.
mendelmax
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by mendelmax »

The good thing is that these readings will be off by a certain % all the time (the difference in rated flow), so by adding this % you'll know pretty acurately what your MPG is.

On the other hand, some strokers work on stock injectors. If you don't go too wild with your build, you may be able to retain stock injectors and all the readings will be accurate.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

You would be subtracting that percentage as the OHC will display more MPG than it is actually getting... it is measuring the injector pulse width.
mendelmax
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by mendelmax »

Right, you guys count in MPG, I do in liters/100 km, that's why I'm adding ;)
BREEZE1
Noob
Noob

Post by BREEZE1 »

This may cause yall to want to chance me down and beat me with a stick, but what if I used stock injectors with an fmu?? Before you jump the gun and start cursing me, sorry for my ignorance, im not sure where or how the signal is read for the computer. Just a crazy thought I had.
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Post by yuppiexj »

if it changes the sensor inputs to the OEM ECU, the "fuel consumption meter" (MPG or L/100KM) will read correctly. like the APEXI AFC and MAP adjusters do.

if it changes the pulses to the injectors after the OEM ECU then it will affect the reading. AKA Mega-Squirt or other standalone controllers.

The Factory trip computer is based on injector pulse, injector flow rate, and vehicle speed.
If any of those change from the hard coded values (larger injectors, higher fuel press, incorrect speedometer calibration ) then the meter will be less accurate.

As I read your question, stock injectors/fuel pressure, correct speedo, whatever displacement engine (doesn't matter) the meter will be as accurate as it is now.
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Correct, if you use a piggy back computer than manipulates how the PCM sees the various sensors and still run stock injectors the OHC will be correct.

If you use a standalone, you probably would ditch the stock PCM any how so the OHC would be useless any how.