3 broken C-rods what should i do

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
SPC Fowler
Noob
Noob

3 broken C-rods what should i do

Post by SPC Fowler »

just got my oil pan pulled and found 3 broken c-rods :oops: what route should i go just buy a reman motor or should i stoke mine, it is my daily driver but i off-road alot and i enjoy more power but i am a solider so i dont make much money! could use some info on what you guys think will be my best options. I have also noticed you guys all have older distributor style motors I have the coil packs instead will that make it more difficult ? please any and all help would be appreciated ! :cheers:
02 TJ 4" teraflex 33"x13.5 nitto mud graplers D30/35 3.73 TB spacer K&N intake custom 10"(just4effects) subbox infinity everything
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Re: 3 broken C-rods what should i do

Post by yuppiexj »

The cost difference between a regular rebuild and a stroker is minimal.

You probably already need a crank, to go with the rods and pistons...

As far as the coilpack vs dizzy engine the latest model heads have a boss for mounting the coilpacks,
Some folks have just cobbled mounts from random garage crap (I would just use an angle bracket of some sort)
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
eastin82
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by eastin82 »

i think you should buy the 4.0 connecting rods from me. cheap cheap if your just rebuilding ive got a crank and pistons also. cheap cheap
keepin the five alive!
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

Just curios, how did you break 3 connecting rods?
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

I would think the cheapest and fastest way to get you back on the road would be to find a used 4.0. Check craigs list or local junk yards. Then take your time to rebuild your old engine into a stroker. Buy some parts for the stroker when you find a good deal and have some extra cash. Check www.pullapart.com to see if there is a yard near you. They have parts pretty cheap...cranks for around $30.00. Thier prices on rods is a little high for junk yard rods...around $13.00 each. You can also check www.car-part.com. This is a nation wide junkyard search. You can look for a complete engine or parts.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

Are you currently in the states?
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

I've posted this before, but I don't know if anyone has bought any... http://www.pawinc.com advertises 258 rods recondition with ARP rod bolts, shot peened and balanced for $120.00.

The 258 rods in my engine cost $50.00 to buy them, $50.00 for ARP rod bolts, $48.00 to have shot peened, and $90.00 to have reconditioned. Thats close to $250.00!
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Plechtan »

Unless the block is trashed, no need to buy another motor, make sure you have your 331 head checked for cracks. Look under the FAQ section to decide what to build. Based on the poll here, about 30% of the people spend 2k or less on their stroker. What you build will depend on your budget.

First thing first, you should probably pull the motor and have it cleaned and checked out before you go futher. The coil packs are not an issue if you reuse your stock head.
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
SPC Fowler
Noob
Noob

Post by SPC Fowler »

to answer a few questions 1, yes i am in the states right now(Ft. Polk, LA) 2,i broke 3 connecting rods while i was out wheeling in 3 ' of water and sucked sum shit in my intake, im not sure exactly when they broke but im guessing it was sum were in between water thinking it is combustible or on the tow home when i decided only the starter got wet and i was going to bump start it! now on to sum options has anyone bought the stroker kit from 505? that seems like a decent deal and all i would need is a cam does any one know of a machine shop in the west-central Louisiana area
02 TJ 4" teraflex 33"x13.5 nitto mud graplers D30/35 3.73 TB spacer K&N intake custom 10"(just4effects) subbox infinity everything
Plechtan
Donator
Donator

Post by Plechtan »

How far are you from Houston?
Peter Lechtanski
SPC Fowler
Noob
Noob

Post by SPC Fowler »

im like 3 hours from Houston, update i think i am going to buy a short block stroker from 505 tell me what ya think ! like 1800
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

$1800 for a complete short block? Is that with their forged internals?
Plechtan
Donator
Donator

Post by Plechtan »

One thing you should check on the 505 is the comperession ratio and the quench, if these are where you want them, I would say go ahead. I think you did mention you had a later block, make sure the new block has the accessory mounting bosses in the same places.
Peter Lechtanski
SPC Fowler
Noob
Noob

Post by SPC Fowler »

yea i believe th CR is 8.5-1 or 11-1 as a option quench height i dont know, what is a good range ? yes the $1800 includes there internals! i have to call them back on monday to get all the details they dont show a lot of specs on there web site
eastin82
Donator
Donator

Post by eastin82 »

mines gona be the thickness of the head gasket .044. i think thats pretty good. the higher you can get cr without trouble the more power!
keepin the five alive!