basic 4.5 ?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
camo89

basic 4.5 ?

Post by camo89 »

Im shure this will be elementry to most of you. Im a suspension and diff guy not motor. I was told buy a customer at the dealership I work at that a 4.2 crank in my 1993 Yj 4.0 and get a 4.5.

From what I gather this is true mostly. I will also need the rods. If this is done with stock pistions and a Mopar replacement head gasket what dose this do to my compression ratio. This jeep is my dd wheeler. I do have back up rigs jsut dont like to drive them.

so i currently have
1993 4.0 ho compleet running

1986 j10 4.2 258 running
so this gives me

4,2 crank
4.2 rods
4.0 ho head
4.0 ho cam

I will need to buy

gasket set
rod berrings 4.2 or 4.0
main berrings 4.0
rings
camo89

Re: basic 4.5 ?

Post by camo89 »

well after lots more reading. The motor is coming apart monday and running tusday. The crank is great the rods are fine we can press pins. So with as busy as whe havent been at work and a gear head boss. I have 3 bays in the dealer ship for 2 days next week. This will be a busy 2 days but I have lots of help..

So the build will go like this

4.2 crank FREE
4.2 rods FREE
4.0 stock pistions FREE
4.0 intake FREE
ford injectors FREE
mopar gaskets 50
mopar berrings 75
head cleaned FREE

also hapning at the same time

axel swap 78 trail duster FREE
j10 7leaf fronts FREE
cj 8 leaf rears FREE
dana 300 350
shackel reversal FREE
300 adaptor 150
high stere 250

total build cost $925

heres how this works

I bought a 86 J10 2 years ago for 600 sold the tranny and t-case for 300 and axeld for 300. Thus making aney left overs free. So the 4.2 parts are from the motor pulled the j10 7 leaf springs are from the same truck. The trail duster axels are from a coworker who I helped do a 60/14 bolt swap on said trail duster. The Mopar parts are cheep due to working at a mopar /ford dealership. The injectors are Free a Ford coworker has been colecting for years. The remaing parts where sourced from various shops in my area. The only left over are drive lines and i can build thos easy.
astjp2
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: basic 4.5 ?

Post by astjp2 »

You should deck the block to get the quench right, if not it will be a pinging bastard. I also offset ground my crank .020 and shaved the block to .000 deck height. I ran the chevy valves, big mistake, go with the mopar ones, Its cheaper initially but when I spent over 450.00 for springs and retainers and machine work, go with the mopar 1.97 in. and 1.6 ex, you can use stock retainers and spring that match your cam. Also make sure the break in oil has Zddp in sufficient quantity. Many strokers have died a cam death from using the wrong oils. Royal Purple is good choice. Good luck on your build. Tim