Camshaft Lifters and Springs?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
dingo151
Making Progress
Making Progress

Camshaft Lifters and Springs?

Post by dingo151 »

Hello,

Where is the best place to buy a Camshaft, Lifters, Timing Set and Valve Spring? I've heard Comp cams has a good package deal but that the springs they sell with their kit are too heavy and you're better off to put mopar springs in.

Any ideas?
Favorites?

Thanks
Dean
"You'll bunk with private Joker. He's silly and he's ignorant but he's got GUTS and guts are enough!"
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Camshaft Lifters and Springs?

Post by dwg86 »

You can't use the springs and retainers from the comp cams kit. They are for the 258. The 4.0 has different size valve stems{8mm}. so you need to find a valve spring that will fit the stock retainers or the Mopar performance retainers. The easiest way to go is use the Mopar performance valve spring and retainer. Hesco also sells a spring kit for the 4.0.
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

Just a note, the Hesco spring kit requires machining of the spring seats. I believe that they are 1.80" mounting height.
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
nukfyrsq
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 282
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: jeep

Post by nukfyrsq »

I have a 99 wrangler, I'm building a 4.6 utilizing a 92 long block with a 7120 head as the foundation for my build. I ordered a Comp cam kit off of ebay; Engine A6 X4 250H-13 Part # 68-232-4 Grind # A6 X4 250H-13 which included spring part # 926-12. Just today I sent these to the machine shop for install along with some info for some questions I want them to answer tommorow.
The FSM lists
Valve closed 66-74 lbf @ 1.625"
Valve open 205-220 @ 1.20".

The data plate on the end of the 926-12 springs shows:
Seat load 109 lbs @ 1.80"
Open 317 lbs @ 1.300"
Coil Bind 1.140".
Does anyone else see a problem here besides me? Also the locks included in the kit DO NOT fit the 92 valves.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

1) Make sure teh block you will use fits the TJ block requirements.. such as water pump mounting, engine mounts, pullies, oil filter and accessory mounting befor you precede... later model blocks tend to be vehicle specific. For instance I can not use a 99 Xj block nor a 2000 WJ block in my 2000 XJ.

2) the springs pressures you quoted from the FSm are for the stock cam, not the compcam one. Spring requirements will vary.

3) The Comp Cam kit was made for a 258, which had a different install height and larger valve stems. Your 7120 head would need to be machined quite a bit to bit to fit the 1.8" (1.64" for the 7120) install height of the comp cam springs and then you would need to find teh correct locks and retainers. I would recommend a 100-109 lbs seat load for that cam.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003

Post by dwg86 »

dwg86 wrote:You can't use the springs and retainers from the comp cams kit. They are for the 258. The 4.0 has different size valve stems{8mm}. so you need to find a valve spring that will fit the stock retainers or the Mopar performance retainers. The easiest way to go is use the Mopar performance valve spring and retainer. Hesco also sells a spring kit for the 4.0.

Or install 11/32 small block chevy or LS1 valves. Like I posted before...the easiest way is to use mopar performance P5249464 valve springs and mopar performance P4452032 retainers. Also the comp cams springs install 1.800. The stock springs install at 1.640, but that still doesn't matter because you can't use the comp springs with the stock valves.
nukfyrsq
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 282
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: jeep

Post by nukfyrsq »

Yeah, I got bit saving money by buying a 'kit' that I verified with the sales rep was engineered for a '92 4.0. It was coincidence I had sent the Comp springs to the machine shop yesterday and then read this string. I read the other stuff previously but 'assumed' the kit matched the '92. Looks like I'll be buying some more parts! Anyone need a set of Comp 926-12 valve springs?!