anyone bought a stroker from precision ???

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
SPC Fowler
Noob
Noob

anyone bought a stroker from precision ???

Post by SPC Fowler »

i am pretty sure my motor is done on my 02 tj so i have been looking at replacements. found a 4.7L stroker specs are pretty vague ( http://www.precisionengine.com/rebuilt- ... index.html ) but 240hp and 285ft/lbs sounds ok with me for only 2k just wanted to know if anyone has one of there motors or thinks this would be a good investment.

thank in advance for any advice on the situation,

Shane Fowler

02 TJ 4" teraflex 33"x13.5 nitto mud graplers D30/35 3.73 TB spacer K&N intake custom 10"(just4effects) subbox infinity everything
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: anyone bought a stroker from precision ???

Post by PolloLoco »

I've heard bad things about the "cheap" Titan motors and now this even less expensive stroker. I say stay away from it. If you have the time then pull the engine out of your TJ and rebuild it to your specifications. Many on-post auto shops have bays for "rent" for extended periods of time and probably have all the tools you'll need to rebuild. You could get a 4.0 from another Jeep, rebuild it, then drop it in.

How is your current motor "done?" These 4.0's are tough as nails, shouldn't be dead just yet.
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
SPC Fowler
Noob
Noob

Post by SPC Fowler »

yea even the guy at precision called me today to say those motors are junk and the no longer carry them but they have a standard stroke 4.0 thats 250hp and 300+ lbs sounds like more bs dont know what route im gonna go! well my tj had about 68k miles on it until sunday when i crossed sum water that was apparently to deep (bout 30-36") and the motor stalled so I called in for recovery and got it out well after i let it dry for a hour and tried to crank it, nothing, so i figured i would tow it home well while towing i thought i might get it to turn over by bump starting well the rear wheels just locked up(grr hydralock! or so i thought) when i got home and actually crawled under it to drain the oil is when i found a real problem about a three finger sized hole in the oil pan, also the hole was made by some thing shooting out because of the frayed not dented pan so after i get some free time i can get the rest of the pan off! started sunday and only got the dang gone head pipe off stupid exhaust bolts!

also does and one know a easier way to get the pan off without droping the exhaust, starter, inspection plate, and front drive shaft or is that pretty much it Image
02 TJ 4" teraflex 33"x13.5 nitto mud graplers D30/35 3.73 TB spacer K&N intake custom 10"(just4effects) subbox infinity everything
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

You dont have to do any of that .. or at least in my XJ i didnt. It looks like you have to remove all that stuff, but you really dont.

This is what i did:

Jacked up the vehicle as high as i could. Putting the jack stands under the lower control arms near the frame. Doing so lets the front axle "droop" for lack of a better term. This way you gain a bunch of clearance.
After unbolting the pan (drain oil first duh), let the pan drop down, and take off the oil pump with the pan below it. You have to do this or else the pan wont come out.
Once the oil pump is out, rotate the pan to the side (left side IIRC). As you rotate the pan, slowly pull it out towards the passenger side rear of the jeep. Once you get the right angle of rotation, it should pull back and out pretty easily.

Imagine the following lines are the engine: "||". The pan is going to rotate to the left and slide out in the following fashion: "\\".

I think there is an illustration in my FSM, so if it doesnt make since, i can look and see if its really there and post it up for you.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Post by yuppiexj »

Does the Head pipe on a TJ run under the oil pan? If so it may need to be removed.
The XJ runs just behind the bellhousing.
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
SPC Fowler
Noob
Noob

Post by SPC Fowler »

no the head pipe wraps around the oil pan think from driver to pass then back