4.6 Stroker build..pics included

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 4.6 Stroker build..pics included

Post by seanyb505 »

I got one from O'reilly's for an 89 YJ, so it was the 46 lb, 4wt, 2" snout, casting #3727. I dont do any offroading, more street/strip racing which is why I went with the lighter weight casting. Plus you dont have to deal with that spacer stuff on the front end or worry about getting it ground down. Something un-related to the engine but will help handling, Ill be picking up some 16" KJ rims and tires for $350 tomorrow. They will be getting fitted with 255/55/16 UHP General Grabbers when the stock tires wear out.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by Flash »

seanyb505 wrote:I agree it does sound expensive, unfotunately I was unable to read the post until late and I have already purchased the Isky 13315/26 cam. Its also assymetrical, but probly not to the degree the lunati is. I think its kind of like a combination of the Crane 753905 and the Mopar 30.

Total purchases for the day:
Isky cam - $155.94
4.2 Crankshaft from O'Reilly's - $236.42
Crower Cam Saver Lifters - $104.52

Not bad for half an hour lol

Sean, how about some good pic of then Crower Cam Saver Lifters when you get then!

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

Flash wrote: Sean, how about some good pic of then Crower Cam Saver Lifters when you get then!
Flash
Anything for you, lol. I ordered them Friday afternoon, so they probly wont get shipped until tomorrow or something. Expect pics in a week or so.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

The lifters arent here yet but something else did come!

As I said a couple posts ago I ordered a crank for an 89 YJ from O'Reillys. It has 4 counteweights and a 2" snout.
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

John
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by John »

FWIW I either hang a crankshaft from the flywheel end or put it in a block on a set of bearings to help prevent warping.
John
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

Its at the machine shop getting checked out right now, but would it hurt it to stand it on its end? I imagine it would experience the same weight as hanging it from an end.
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

good question I think it doesn't matter. Hell even hanging it; there is still lots of tension put on the crank. I have one of my 4.2 cranks sitting on the flywheel upright.
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

Thats how I see them sitting at the machine shop all the time, so I cant imagine if its only for a month or so that it would make everything horrible
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

John

Post by John »

When in the engine it is supported by it's journals on centerline. When laying flat, they are supported by the counterweights, and they are not on centerline. Standing them on end is common and acceptable, but they can be subject to being knocked over and damaged. Mounting to a flywheel would help to prevent this. Gravity is a force to be dealt with, crankshafts do warp if improperly stored. We are building performance motors, not the family lawnmower. Our work practices affect the outcome of our builds, Am I the only one that uses a dial indicator to check crankshaft run out during set up.
Some have those cranks around for a year or more deciding what they are going to build. Google this one and you will find I am not the only one worrying about this. One bolt, it is not the forces on centerline that can bends them. Ever buy a nice racing crankshaft and see the nice cradle they ship them that supports them by the journals. There is a reason.
John
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

Well I just got back from the machine shop and there is a slight twist in the story. I had read of some concerns of the Silvolite 2229 pistons being dished to more than 24cc or 26cc, and when I bought mine previously dished I was told they were 28cc. I had the machine shop verify this and check to see if they will be thick enough and they said they were actually 30cc, and that they were thick enough for safe operation!

On a different note, the crankshaft mains have been turned .040". It would be fine if I could use the bearings that came with it, but since they are for a 4.2 block and not a 4.0, I need new bearings. I was planning on buying new ones anyway, but it turns out that .040 oversized bearings are hard to come by for the 4.0. Right now Charlie from Falcon is trying to source some for me, and I should hear from him in the morning. As of now it is the last real thing I need to purchase to continue with the build. After that it will be miscellaneous parts for tune-ups, etc...
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

Camshaft and lifters arrived in mail while I was at work. Pictures:
Isky 133125/26 Camshaft

After looking at the timimg card that came with the cam and the online spec sheet, it appears that my cam has only .445 valve lift on the exhaust side, but it is listed as .465 online. Is this enough to be concerned? When I ordered it I assumed I was getting a cam with .450/.465 in/ex. I bought this one specifically for the dual pattern that had more exhaust lift. I also noticed that the cam lobe edges were quite rough. Is this normal?

Crower "Cam saver" lifters

Im not sure what cam saver means, but if it's anything like it sounds Ill be happy.

Edit: I called Isky and they said to ship this one back and they would regrind one with the desired correct specs, I would only pay shipping to send mine back.
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

aaronkeiser
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by aaronkeiser »

bummer man....I'd kill :evil:
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

i didnt know isky made a 4.0 cam. what made you go with them?
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

I think gradon pointed me in their direction. I was trying to decide between the mopar 30 cam and the crane 905 cam. When I went to go order the mopar they were out and the cam had been discontinued. He said isky had a cam similar to the mopar 30, so I checked them out. The one I got was actually a mix of two cams, the 25 and the 26. Both had single patterns, but the 25/26 has the 25 pattern on intake and the 26 on exhaust, just with more lift.
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

what about that lifter causes more oil to get on the cam lobes? I was assuming it has a channel or a hole in the lifter face that squirts oil, is there a hole in the face? or a flat spot around the sides that would let more oil escape the oil groove?
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.