ilber's stroker

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Re: ilber's stroker

Post by amcinstaller »

i believe the usual idea is match the pan to the engine/vehicle. ie if your jeep had a 258 before, you could use the same pan now vs the pan from the 99TJ that you got your donor engine from. however, if itll fit with no interference, why not? also, as you know and mentioned, match the pickup to the pan.

for my build im using a 258 pan. but my car (1980 amc spirit gt) came with a 258 and the 93 cherokee pan doesnt fit at all :cheers:
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

ARP head bolts? Or are they studs?

As for the pan I have heard of people using the 258 pan because it supposedly holds more oil more, but I am unsure of this. I do know that there are two versions. One with the sump further up that doesn't go all the way to the back and one with the sump all the way back. I would actually like to know the answer to this myself.

-Chris
ilber
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: YJ HO

Post by ilber »

L6 4.0 liter head bolt set 14pcs 86 to 96 yrs 1/2 inch bolts
come to think i am not sure if they are ARP or not, i think they are but in any case they are new, even if they are TTY

darn I am forgetting thermostat....
i got 258 pan on the shelf, on weekend or so I will snap a picture and posted, if you got 4.0 laying around, we can compare. first glance 258 is "beefier" has skid plate welded. ( additionally my pan has 3 over sizes of drain plug.... 260k miles of oil changes and some of those have been done by quick lube monkies....)
ilber
ilber
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by ilber »

well i got mostly everything;
harland sharp adjustable roller rockers should be in by tomorrow, teardown set of gasket from MP should be here by the end of the week, AFR gauge by end of the week.
Pistons at Leigh's shop getting dished 27cc vs 28 that i originally planned... i am at least a mile above sea level, so 27cc gave me better fuzzy :)
Valvcover being made...
I think I am about to release the machinist to do the work ( he is very quick, so i need to figure out when he will be doing, so i would take a day off and shadow/annoy him while he puts the long block together, or gets as far as we can...i would order pushrods when we measure stuff up)
other wise... budget? what budget?

I think i am going to ge 1A auto stainless header.... borla seemed to be cracking... so I think i will go with something decently made with flex joints...
ilber
ilber
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by ilber »

look what showed up...sorry fuzzy pictures...image stabalizing not on and i was "getting jiggy" :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amcinstaller

Post by amcinstaller »

i missed that you wanted a comparison. i actually dont have the 4.0 oil pan from the cherokee that i got the donor engine from, but i do have a side by side. note that on my project, the donor and the project were two different vehicles. here is my 258 pan in front of the 4.0 oil pan from the 93 cherokee:

pretty different. the kee pan would not fit in my car. (also note how dented my pan is, ideas anyone?)
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
ilber
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by ilber »

well today is the day when i take all items to machinist and cut him loose to machine and assemle the engine...i guess we will start from head, since I am still waiting on pistons to come back from Leigh (dishing out to 27cc)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

COOL! Time for banana dance :banana:
ilber
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by ilber »

well as in another thread i have mentioned,,, timing cover, oil pan thrust washer, preload bolt all resolved. head I would say 85% assembled/machined.
Block was worked on as I walked into the shop today. I was told by end of next week assembled, sealed long block will be done... i am still contemplating the color.... no black.... machinist suggested pink ( yeah he likes to pick on me).... actually I thought that might be fun to go with "limp wrist-ed" color combo like neons on tins and pink block... ( I don't mean to offend homosexual members of this board, just making fun....well at your expense)
but my last words were...."surprise me" so if I get a pink engine I will put a sticker of some sort "stroked pink" :)
as far as budget? what budget?! i am at Hesco's price range, but I think I got things that i wanted...
while waiting for pistons, machining I have picked up AFR and stuck it in the factory dash "4wd" gauge place, 62mm tbody and spacer will be installed tomorrow

Happy turkey day, guys
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Paint it metalic candy apple red.

Happy t-day
ilber
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by ilber »

have issues with any type of red....i think we were thinking light Plymouth blue or some sort of light metallic accent
amcinstaller

Post by amcinstaller »

ilber wrote: "stroked pink" :)
awesome, simply awesome
ilber
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by ilber »

little thing do make difference.
this morning I put in 92mm t-body, spacer, finally plugged the vac leak. the result? I can lay rubber with 35/12.5.... i mean nice 2 black strips down my driveway.... previously that would not have been possible!
awesome! well i only can dream what the stroker would do to my mental state :)

PS i am a "flashy guy" just example... I drive a bright colored GTO with open cutouts with plates "BADGOAT", my convertible had plate "IH8RAIN"... so coming with the oink/stroker remark would not be unheard :)
Exos
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by Exos »

Your teardown gasket set most likely includes a 0.053" head gasket. I had to buy mine separately to get the 0.043" gasket. The part number is : P4529242
ilber
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by ilber »

not according to MP. I have called them to get the part number break down. according to CSR it is the thin one. But i will have to remind the mechanic to double check it
thanks