Intake Manifold Question

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Cherokee Chief
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Intake Manifold Question

Post by Cherokee Chief »

I just bought a 4.5L stroker out of a 98 TJ and its going into my 89 Cherokee.
My question is I want to keep the renix injection system so therefore I have to change the intake and doing so the intake sits approx 1/4"lower on the intake ports.
So can you leave this alone and bolt the intake on with no flow or performance issues or should I cut the 1/4" out of the bottom of the port and blend it with a slight hump like its already there just a bit lower?
Or is there any way to put the renix throttle body on the 98 intake? :huh:
Thanks
Darren
1989 Cherokee "Notchback" 4" lift, dana30 w/4:10, dana35 w/4:10 fossy locked, Custom front & rear bumpers with removable winch.
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Re: Intake Manifold Question

Post by yuppiexj »

Use the HO intake and HO Throttle body and spend some coin on this piece. (I've heard so much good about hesco's customer service, that it's worth the price to me)
I have a 94 long block w/99 intake I'm putting in a 90 XJ I will be buying This part.

http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=det ... ryID=45563

Now your can use the Renix TPS with the ho throttle body.

Don't forget the coolant temperature sender moved from the rear of the head to the thermostat housing, you'll need to lengthen the wire and change the connector.

The Oxygen sensors are different between HO and Renix (Zirconia and Titania respectively)
The Crankshaft Position Sensors are different as well (Reluctor and Hall effect respectively)

It's very doable to bolt the engine in and hook up all the Renix sensors, Just make sure you don't try to run it with the wrong part.
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

Excellent answer, I'd like to add 2 cents, the minor work of adapting these together is really nothing compared to how badly you could ruin the performance by just gouging out 1/4" of intake port. :o
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
SIXPAK
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 280

Post by SIXPAK »

Yuppie is right, that would be the best way to do your project.
Cherokee Chief
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cherokee Chief »

Thanks for the reply's.
I wasn't sure if I should remove the bottom of the port like that why I'm doing the research first before ruining the head.
Thanks Again
Darren
1989 Cherokee "Notchback" 4" lift, dana30 w/4:10, dana35 w/4:10 fossy locked, Custom front & rear bumpers with removable winch.
cal
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.71

Post by cal »

Doing this though, you'll be deleting the EGR.

Will it pass whatever inspection your state has?

You can't get away with that on the road here in California. Has anyone considered putting an EGR port into a late model intake manifold?
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Post by yuppiexj »

Virginia has a visual inspection....simply machining a flat pad on the intake to bolt an EGR valve on connect it to a lightly tacked on exhaust bung will get you through the visual. (it did for me)

Here's a functional check
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Eng ... ostics.htm

If you want to make it functional that's a bit more difficult.

The odds are strongly in your favor that the thing will pass the sniffer even without the EGR system at all.
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
cal
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.71

Post by cal »

You may have more lenient sniffers than we do, I've seen a few rigs try and pass without functional EGR without luck. I'm sure its possible, but if I'm going through the work may as well go all out.