Head torque Sequence

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
shockcocker04
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L

Head torque Sequence

Post by shockcocker04 »

Does anyone have a torque diagram for a 2001 4.0 cylinder head? I know there is a couple different steps, also the placing for the head bolts by number.
I just installed my 5.9 magnum springs and i am putting my head on tomorrow.

Thank you, Bryan
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Head torque Sequence

Post by Muad'Dib »

5-90 on NAXJA wrote:PTFE pipe dope (Or high temp thread sealant) on the driver's side front head screw (#11). Final torque for that screw is 100 pound-feet, and 110 pound-feet for the rest.

Standing on the driver's side, the torque sequence is to start on the driver's side centre, go to the passenger side centre, and work out from there in a clockwise spiral. I torque to 25-50-75-final pound-feet, and haven't had any trouble (I know it's more than the manual says to do, but I'm cranky.)
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Post by Bodo »

Along the same lines

I didn't pay much attention to the headbolts when I tore my donor engine down. I did notice that the new headbolts have 2 or 3 different kinds of bolts (lengths and styles). Is there a cheat sheet to show which kind if bolt goes where?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

The longer ones with the stud ends go outside the valve cover. Using the image above that would be 14, 10, 6, 2, 3, 7, 11. The shorter ones with the dowel pins on the head for the valve cover gasket go to 8 and 9 IIRC. Check your valve cover gasket to be sure, if it is of that type. Fill the remaining holes with the short ones with the regular head.
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Post by Bodo »

Many thanks!