Anyone using Hypertech Power Programmer 3?

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
rradford9
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5l

Anyone using Hypertech Power Programmer 3?

Post by rradford9 »

I just picked up a used HPP3, is anyone else using one of these in their stroker? How does the HPP3 compare to the other tuners out there(SCT in particular)?
4.5L Simple Stroker
* 4.2L crank & rods
* H802CP pistons (18cc dish)
* 9.57:1 SCR / 8.28:1 DCR
* 0.050" Quench
* 62mm TB
* Hot Air Intake
* 2.5" Magnaflow cat and Flowmaster 50
* JBA Header
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Anyone using Hypertech Power Programmer 3?

Post by SilverXJ »

I used a Hypertech once. Sold it two months later. It made no difference I could feel aside from making an engine with only a K&N filter, no other mods, ping.
rradford9
Donator
Donator

Post by rradford9 »

hmmm...well I "accidentally" won one from ebay today. I bid on it several days ago and ended up being the only bid. I've also got a line on an SCT for $200. I'm going to try out the HPP3 first, but will probably end up going with the SCT. Hell, if I can talk the dyno guy into it, I might do a side by side comparison of the 2!
4.5L Simple Stroker
* 4.2L crank & rods
* 0.050" Quench
* 62mm TB
* Hot Air Intake
* JBA Header
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I wonder if the dyno will show anything useful considering that the OBD learns for a while, and I don't know how the programmer would effect what it has learned and if it would change it any.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Is the 3 like some of the mustang ones where you type in what mods you have done and it takes a guess at what the fuel should be? Keep in mind it's probably set for stock injectors.
rradford9
Donator
Donator

Post by rradford9 »

I'm running stock injectors. I not sure about specific mods though. From reading about it on the web, its got 2 programs one for 87 octane and one for 93. The instructions say you just answer some yes/no questions, but I have no idea what they are.
4.5L Simple Stroker
* 4.2L crank & rods
* 0.050" Quench
* 62mm TB
* Hot Air Intake
* JBA Header
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

I tried the HPP3 on my 96 4.0 w/ exhaust, tb, and intake mods. I filled up with 93 octane and tried the 93 setting, bumped the 116mph governor up to 128, and raised the 5300 redline up to 5800. It pinged, didn't change the governor and didn't up the redline. OK fine, I tried the 87 performance setting(tank still full with 93 octane) and it still pinged. I used it to clear the CEL codes that it caused and sold it for the price I bought it(used) for.
rradford9
Donator
Donator

Post by rradford9 »

gradon wrote:I tried the HPP3 on my 96 4.0 w/ exhaust, tb, and intake mods. I filled up with 93 octane and tried the 93 setting, bumped the 116mph governor up to 128, and raised the 5300 redline up to 5800. It pinged, didn't change the governor and didn't up the redline. OK fine, I tried the 87 performance setting(tank still full with 93 octane) and it still pinged. I used it to clear the CEL codes that it caused and sold it for the price I bought it(used) for.
LOL, that sucks. You're the second person to report that. What did it change to cause the pinging? Timing?
4.5L Simple Stroker
* 4.2L crank & rods
* 0.050" Quench
* 62mm TB
* Hot Air Intake
* JBA Header
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

Yeah it must've advanced the timing way too much.
rradford9
Donator
Donator

Post by rradford9 »

Just to update, I got the HPP3 on Friday and installed it in about 10 minutes. I "believe" I can feel a little extra in the butt dyno and so far it looks like my MPG's have gone up a little bit but its too early to confirm that or not. I've got the SCT tuner on the way, but the tune alone will cost me ~$250. I'm wondering if the SCT is really worth the $450 total compared to the $150 I paid for the HPP3. I.E. Would I see more gains by completing the 2.5" exhaust with a header or going with the tune?
4.5L Simple Stroker
* 4.2L crank & rods
* 0.050" Quench
* 62mm TB
* Hot Air Intake
* JBA Header
hatem61
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by hatem61 »

Hi there,
First I would like to express my respect for all of you guys for all efforts making this great site.
I used HPP3 on a 2000 Cherokee.
I also have JET piggy-back chip, K&N cold air intake, bored-out throttle body, Ignition Solutions Plasma module ( acts somewhat like a multiple-spark discharge ), a free exhaust with a home made header and a 180*F thermostat.
I normally fill 92 octane, I live in Alexandria, by the Mediterranean sea, Egypt, so it gets hot and humid in the summer, much colder and rainy in the winter.
I disable the programming whenever I take my Jeep to the dealer and reprogram it when I take it back, and always notice the difference, it always have a sharper edge in response to the throttle after programming, however, a difference is always a relative amount. I did select 500 rpm less as a fuel cutoff speed, it happens that on WOT acceleration from stop it cuts at the right time so that the auto transmission shifts to second without having to backup. That would of course change when my stroker long long project ends with the proper camshaft. It only pinged in summer with low/bad octane fuel in remote area pumps.
I bought it when it was 400$ plus shipping and taxes.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Since you are in Egypt, does your Jeep use O2 sensors and closed loop, or is it like Dino's where it just stays in open loop 100%?
hatem61
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by hatem61 »

Mine is a closed loop, it has upstream and downstream O2 sensors, but the PCM is programmed slightly differently so it tolerates a little more than Federal and California PCMs before it illuminates the MIL.