Building #1

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
bofish52
Noob
Noob

Building #1

Post by bofish52 »

Starting my first stroker. Going to use 4.0 block and 258 rods and crank.
Want to use a Clifford Intake and Howell Injection. Anyone done this or have
any thoughts. Thanks
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Re: Building #1

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Any links to the products you are considering? I'm not familiar with either. "Howell injection" is that a stand alone fuel management computer?
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
John
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by John »

Do you already own these two items? The Howell system costs over $1000 to buy new (tbi) and the Clifford intake is also not a low buck item. The system would work well enough but MPI system can be picked up from a 94-95 Jeep for much less. Never had anything from Clifford that wasn't excellent quality. If you already have these, or can get them used for a good price use them, otherwise I would transplant the factory ECU and wiring harness harness with the intake from a donor. What head are you planning on using?
John
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

Howell injection is just throttle body injection, and for the money they want, is no way in the world worth it... Get the stock factory 4.0 wiring, ECU and MPI intake/injector system... It will work better, make more power and be far more reliable. In the end it will be about the same level of difficulty to install as the Howell..

If you're dead set on a TBI system, Holley's Pro-Jection is cheaper used off Ebay (around $500) but its still TB injection which really isn't fuel injection in the truest sense of having fuel metering advantages over Carbs... TBI is basically an electric carb with all the same issues minus carb floats... Over rich running, slow response to the o2 sensor, cylinder wash down that accelerates bore and main bearing wear from excess gas in the oil and on the bores. And the inability to fine tune the amount of fuel thats getting distributed that results in less than optimal MPG.

Off Ebay a stock 4.0 intake (pre 99) fully dressed with injectors, rail etc. often go unsold for $30... I have seen complete wiring harness' go unsold for 19.99 there's a guy in NC who regularly lists them at that starting bid. And an ECU for 19 to 40 bucks and you are good to go, assuming you keep the sensors that came with your 4.0 core... Then all you need is an electric out of tank fuel pump or a tank and pump assembly from a 4.0 equipped Jeep.. There's really not that much to the install.
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
crustodd
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by crustodd »

I am considering my first stroker too. I am interested in the advantage of the after market fuel injection tuners myself. I already have a '94, so it has the factory injectors, manifold etc. I am interested in greater tune-ability. Has anyone had experience with Weber, FAST, or MegaSquirt?

crust1
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

crustodd wrote:I am considering my first stroker too. I am interested in the advantage of the after market fuel injection tuners myself. I already have a '94, so it has the factory injectors, manifold etc. I am interested in greater tune-ability. Has anyone had experience with Weber, FAST, or MegaSquirt?

crust1

Crustodd. I would suggest creating your own thread in stroker performance with these questions. Spreading your questions throught the forum in several locations is not going to get you an answer any faster, or with any more detail. Its easier to find and work with if you had a seperate topic going on it, rather then hijacking someone else's thread.
Also, where you posted in "Forum discussion" i believe that topic was designated for discussion ABOUT the forum itself, nothing technical.

Thanks, and welcome aboard
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)