Belt keeps coming off harmonic balancer on stroker engine

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Fancy89
Stroker Displacement: 298
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: YJ

Belt keeps coming off harmonic balancer on stroker engine

Post by Fancy89 »

Hey guys! I am new here and i am looking for advice. I have a highly modified 1989 Yj jeep with a fresh 298 stroker engine build put into it. Its a 2002 TJ block (the NVH block). It has been bored over .070 over and has custom forged racing pistons from diamond. I am also running an eagle crank, Howard cam shaft, eagle forged connecting rods, harland sharp adjustable rockers and the a new comer racing head. I had to buy the engine mounts from the TJ to be able to bolt it to my frame and had no problems. But since my jeep is a 89 and has a Saginaw power steering pump from PSC and a power master alternator i decided to keep my 1989 auxiliary bracketry. It took some adjusting and cutting of brackets to make it work. I have aligned the auxiliaries pretty nicely but i keep having the belt slip off my harmonic balancer when i get up to 4000 rpms and up. I use to have a old harmonic balancer from napa and i found the rubber was too soft so it kept moving way too much at high rpms .So i sent it out to get rebuilt by a guy in California and he said he put way harder rubber in it. I don't see the harmonic balancer move like it use to at high rpms. But my belt keeps slipping off when i give her the beans. I am thinking maybe it needs to be shimmed outward but how do you properly shim an harmonic balancer? I will post a couple of pics so you guys can see and tell me if you have any suggestions. I am excited to be driving her for the first time in years. But i cant take her very far currently because i keep destroying belts. This is a brand new build so everything is brand new. Thank you guys!
PXL_20240403_164822782.jpg
PXL_20240403_164840809.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Re: Belt keeps coming off harmonic balancer on stroker engine

Post by amcinstaller »

Do you need to use the Saginaw pump? On my spirit (used to have a Saginaw pump, still has the original box) I had a hose made to use the 99+ pump with the old box and it works great, ran it 3 years like that so far no problems.

Basically for me I took the two hard lines, cut them down and had got the length figured. Then I took it to a local hydraulic hose outfit who put it all together for me with a short hydraulic hose and some compression fittings. If you want I can see about getting a couple pics up tomorrow, I just checked my imgur apparently I don't have that up yet
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
Fancy89

Post by Fancy89 »

My understanding was that the since the 1989 used a Saginaw power steering pump that it had to be used with my original steering gear box. It still has the factory power steering gear box. It is one of the only parts i still have not had to replace.
amcinstaller
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

The other thing I was wondering was which intake you are running. On my engine things are getting a bit..... Heinz 57 lol. It's currently an obd1 engine, 99+ squid intake, injectors, and ps pump, Delco 10/12SI hybrid and obd2 pcm.

I had the thought after that you might be using the old pump due to an older or maybe carb intake manifold
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
Fancy89

Post by Fancy89 »

I am running the 99+ grand Cherokee intake from New Comer racing that has been ported and polished. I wasn't about to spend the $1300 for the custom newcomer one. It is not optimal for my 298 stroker engine build. But I am getting really good power and torque for a NA build. I paired that with 36lbs injectors from Fast EFI and a after market fuel rail paired with Fast street EFI. If i would go back in time i would have bought a Holly EFI kit. I replaced my whole wire harness in the restoration and put in the Fast multiport wiring harness while i was at it. I paired that with a HEI distributor and the holly 6AL. Honestly i hate distributors i have only had problems with mine.
Fancy89

Post by Fancy89 »

But i fixed my problem, I ended up taking my water pump pulley off and machining the back of it about an 1/8 and it lines up nicely with my harmonic balancer now.