Frequent lifter collapse

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
incola_malum
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Frequent lifter collapse

Post by incola_malum »

Hey all - I picked up a 00 XJ with a 4.6 stroker in it a while back. A couple months ago, I had a lifter collapse with a Comp Cams cam/lifter set. So, I opted to drop in a Jones cam/lifter set. However, I've since had a plethora of issues.

Two days after the cam and lifter install, I had a lifter on cylinder 3 collapse, causing it to throw codes for cylinders 1 and 4, and a random multiple misfire. So I replaced the bad lifter, went another couple days and sure enough, codes for cylinders 1 and 4, random multiple. Jeep runs like absolute garbage, which is especially unfortunate.

The funny thing about this second time though, is that it initially threw one code for cylinder one, and I heard "sputtering" noises from the air intake (I have a cowl intake). I adjusted it, and the Jeep ran flawlessly for another couple days, until I arrived at the current situation - which I will admit, I haven't confirmed to be a bad lifter, and can't until I get it to the shop on Monday, but it acts the same as the last time.

So, my question here is, am I just incredibly unlucky with lifters and need to get another set (again...), Or is there some other part I need to be looking into? I know my mechanic probably won't be thrilled to see it for a third time, let along a fourth.

If it's needed, I can pull the invoices and such for part lists, since the PO was decent enough to keep records. Whether they're complete or not is another story - I'm not sure if they're detailed enough to have P/Ns for the head assembly, for instance.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Re: Frequent lifter collapse

Post by Russ Pottenger »

How much lifter preload do you have?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Yeah I have a feeling that the pushrods might be too long, causing the valves to hang open. This would explain why you're hearing the misfiring noises from the intake, and could be the cause of the lifter collapse.
As Russ said, pull the valve cover and check the lifter preload. I'm beginning to wonder if someone previously got overenthusiastic with lapping the valves and sunk them too far into the seats.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
incola_malum

Post by incola_malum »

Russ Pottenger wrote: September 24th, 2019, 7:50 am How much lifter preload do you have?
Sorry for the delay, just logged back in.

I will have to get with the mechanic to verify, but as far as I know, it was around .040 - but I will surely look at that, hopefully today.
incola_malum

Post by incola_malum »

Cheromaniac wrote: September 24th, 2019, 10:54 pm Yeah I have a feeling that the pushrods might be too long, causing the valves to hang open. This would explain why you're hearing the misfiring noises from the intake, and could be the cause of the lifter collapse.
As Russ said, pull the valve cover and check the lifter preload. I'm beginning to wonder if someone previously got overenthusiastic with lapping the valves and sunk them too far into the seats.
This is entirely possible, I hadn't considered the length of the pushrods as a potential problem. I believe they came as part of a set from Clegg, but that's something to look into as well.

The shop that the Jeep is sitting at has had their head mechanic out on medical issues, so I haven't been able to look into it lately. I hope that sometime today, I can get with him and we can check out these issues.
incola_malum

Post by incola_malum »

Got the Jeep back earlier today. Apparently lifter preload was fine, but a lifter on cylinder 3 was pulled and replaced. Funny thing was that the lifter in question had a hole worn into the bottom of it. As it stands now, it drove fine for about 100 miles before a code for a Cylinder 1 misfire popped. It still drives fine, but I expect that'll change soon enough. Kind of running into a wall at this point. Only thing I can think of is that the cam itself has some kind of issue.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Yup. Sounds like you might have one or two flattened cam lobes. A possible cause we haven't yet mentioned is the valve springs being too stiff. Do you know which ones are in the engine?
incola_malum

Post by incola_malum »

Cheromaniac wrote: October 9th, 2019, 10:59 pm Yup. Sounds like you might have one or two flattened cam lobes. A possible cause we haven't yet mentioned is the valve springs being too stiff. Do you know which ones are in the engine?

Unfortunately all I have is an invoice for the head being assembled. Invoice is a couple years old, so I doubt the shop would have records, and it doesn't list the P/Ns used in assembling it. Looks like it was a bare Edelbrock head and they assembled it (I guess they would have put stock replacements for a 4.0 on it, but that's just a shot in the dark).