Lifters

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
BeRadicle
I think I'll order a "tab"
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: Grand YJ

Lifters

Post by BeRadicle »

Any one run stock replacement lifters in lieu of the lunati recommended lifters? And foreseeable issue?
Regards
BeRadicle

Re: Lifters

Post by BeRadicle »

Running the lunati assembly lube and lucas oil zddp additive as well as vs 1612 for 72#@1.640 installed height and with the .484 bump about 198# open pressure and about .106 to go to coil bind. Thinking this should work just dandy from the research I have done. Just want to bounce this off the crowd as i will have 0 recourse with lunati if i go this way and it fails. So I am trying to make it a nice friendly home.

Regards
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

That's not enough spring pressure on either the seat or the nose for the camshaft that you're planning on running.

Is that the valvespring and pressures that Lunati recommended?
BeRadicle

Post by BeRadicle »

Neither, from the research i have done guys who aren't wiping out the cam lobes are running less nose pressure. Open and roughly 80# on the seat I had read would be plenty could probably put some .050 shims in to up the seat pressure

The lunati recommended springs had to large a size at 1.100 bind
And 108#at 1.80 installed height. Which would put me upto about 150. At 1.640.
The retainers and locks were also for 3/8" valve stems... :huh:
Far as all my research has told me none of what they recommend was gonna work for me. Kinda like comp cams so I wasn't surpriced
Had read guys had good results with vs1612 specifically as it fits over the stock guide seals seats nicely at stock install height.
Think it was yj and Corey on another forum

Hopefully this wasn't an epic fail

Regards
BeRadicle

Post by BeRadicle »

I ended up with the 700 p/n cam. And from what i understand the changes in its grind from a stock cam is 20 degrees less opening off the seat so that equals 10 degrees on either side of the lobes and less overlap and higher compression. Do I need higher than stock seat pressure to keep cylinder pressure from bleeding off through the valve? From what I understand stock replacement springs work for comp 232 I think 1465 which is almost as much extra lift as the lunati i have but wouldn't work due to coil bind. So from what I figure I should be sitting in a dandy spot for the rpm range of the cam and the limiter on the pcm.
If i have to i can run a .050 shim to up the seat presure

Regards
BeRadicle

Post by BeRadicle »

Could add .050 shims under the seat brings me up to 85# on the seat and 211# on the nose.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

If you spoke to salesperson at Lunati they must've believed you were working on a 258.

I'm not that familiar with Lunati, but you may find that you'll have a problem with the drop in valve spring from them.

Is there a reason you didn't get a Lunati cam and lifter package together?
You have to be very careful with your choice of lifters.
A little while back with new EPA regulations has caused a lot of inferior hydraulic lifters to hit the market.
BeRadicle

Post by BeRadicle »

Hmm interesting,
Mostly cost is what prompted me to only get the cam. Good to know about the lifters probably being of low quality.
Guess I better bite the bullet, fuck sakes this cam install is turning out to be anything but simple. I had thought it through and figured out my specs. But was off on some key information I had gathered. Might just say fuck it and run it, i have already surpassed my 600$ budget to do this cam install. But I would hate to have to just do it all over again.
:doh:

F
BeRadicle

Post by BeRadicle »

So what am I missing, do different retainers change the install height of any given spring in a specific application?
:deadhorse:

If that is the case I should probably verify installed height and pressure with the retainers Ive ordered
BeRadicle

Post by BeRadicle »

Ok so from what I can discern were I to use the lunati recommended springs I would have to mill .015 out of the spring pocket at a diameter of 1.450 in order to hit coil bind tolerances otherwise they would be great and install perfectly at what was 1.640 and is now 1.655 would be 143# on the seat and 266 open the more I mill the less pressure but more unstable the springs will be. But what does every one figure? 266 isnt too bad for pressure on the nose i would like to keep it under 245 though...

What says Russ?

Is this the way to go?
I am going to keep at it here. Got a load of figures to mull over.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

The spring pressure that Lunati is recommending is a much better choice than the original spring you were planning on running.

Buy a good set of lifters with breakin oil and you should be good to go.
BeRadicle

Post by BeRadicle »

Ok so im ordering the springs lifters and break in additive so if this does go sideways at least i have warranty.
Off the top of anyone's head I need a 7 degree 5/16" retainer 1.450 in od and will fit a 1.075 id spring with no issues?
Going to start the research but lunati doesn't have the retainer i need nor any retainer for that matter in 5/16

Regards
Brad
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

I haven't looked, but don't buy a valve spring unless you know you can get a matching retainer to fit
BeRadicle

Post by BeRadicle »

Yah looks like the only retainer that may fit is about 8 bucks a piece plus locks for another 40.
Not buying those springs yet. Might have found some crane springs.
Is planing to install a spring at less than its recommended height likely to cause premature failure?
Rings gaskets and bearings are on the way. Will also need to confirm the cam bearing size before i order them.
Will at least order the lifters from lunati to be able to claim waranty if....

So I have a crane spring in my sights 96806... rate is 204lb/inch binds @ 1.069 installed is 107# a 1.700" and open would be 229#@1.150
204×.05= 10.2 lbs so it would install at 117.2 # at 1.650 and 239# a 1.100 i think this should be acceptable. But recently read i need 260# open minimum if i want to rev over 4000 rpm

With the springs retainers and locks i should be good provided i can source them all together.

Regards
Brad
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Brad,

Probably too late now but if you would've sourced the parts through me I could've saved you a lot of time hassle and money.