Tuning for supercharger without piggy back

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
BcurpKodiak
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Tuning for supercharger without piggy back

Post by BcurpKodiak »

I'm always throwing around ideas for my current build. Most recent plan was 4.6 Golen Short-block with top end from Russ P. I have a ported big valve Edelbrock head.

I've also entertained other engine swaps. Trying to keep jeep light and make around 300 HP!

I have been pondering a new idea. Building a 4.1 Mini stroker. Get it running well and broken in. Then supercharge it. Possibly with the hardware only kit from Sprintex. I like it because its an efficient twin screw blower which should have a great power curve. With such a free flowing head it might now even make that much boost.

I'm wondering if I can tune with plugs, MAP, FPR and water-meth. So run colder plugs, adjust MAP and Fuel pressure and run water-meth injection. I don't see why a 7th injector would be any more reliable than my snow performance water injection. I already have the kit from my previous JK 3.6L with a magnuson blower kit. I have several different sized injector nozzles too.

What do you guys think? I figure if I'm careful and take my time this could work. Any trick with the IAT sensor to mess with timing? I'd run an AFR gauge and boost gauge. The aluminum head should help with detonation too? No?
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Tuning for supercharger without piggy back

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Without being able to tune the timing curve, I think you would get middling returns at best, and a popped motor at worst. That being said, I know guys in Japan making 500hp on big turbo'd 2.0L 4 bangers using the extra injector method. It ain't pretty/clean, but it works.
BcurpKodiak
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by BcurpKodiak »

What would make it middling? Not being able to control timing, and then not being able to run as much boost?

Is it that you can't retard the timing? Advance the timing?
krom
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by krom »

Unless you have a computer controlled tranny, just ditch the stock ecu, and run a stand alone..

It can be done as easy as a microsquirt for $339..

http://www.efisource.com/shop/microsqui ... h-harness/

it gives you full control of spark, and fuel, works with the factory sensors and distributor. you may have to change the IAC motor, or get an adapter for $60, and get a 2 or 3 bar map sensor depending on how much boost you'll be running.

If you want or need more bells and whistles, would like to go to sequential injection, and an individual coil per cylinder, with seperate adjustment for fuel and timing for each cylinder independently, and control for a thousand other things you can step up to the gold box for $950

http://www.efisource.com/shop/ms3-unive ... h-pigtail/
arg0413
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by arg0413 »

Ryan is the man for tuning your factory PCM for boost:

https://www.frptuning.com/