Best parts for a bone stock 4.0 rebuild

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
JeepsAndGuns
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Best parts for a bone stock 4.0 rebuild

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

So my grocery getter/highway cruiser 99 WJ is in need of a new engine. It is still driveable right now and needs to continue to do so.
I have bought a core engine to rebuild and then swap out in a weekend. I have it all torn down and everything is at the machine shop getting checked for cracks, etc..
I am going to be doing a bone stock rebuild on this engine. I do not need or want any performance mods, this is a 2wd WJ and all it sees is back and forth to work, and it is what I take on long highway trips. I can get between 22-24 highway MPG and do not want to change that. (my YJ with a stroker get 10.5 mpg)
So my question, is what are the best quality stock style replacement parts I can get. I will be using a new genuine mopar factory replacement camshaft, but the rest is up to debate.
I will need the following:
Pistons and rings
Bearings
Timing set

Pistons I have found MAHLE/CLEVITE 2243415 and SEALED POWER H825CP. Is one better than the other? Looking at pictures alone, the clevite pistons "look" like they are cast and machined a little better than the sealed power pistons, but that is looks alone. Are there any other options that are better than there? (remember, best quality stock replacement)

Timing sets we have a few choices. There is melling, sealed power, and cloyes. The melling and sealed power look just like the factory timing set I pulled out of the engine, while the cloyes looks noticeably different. Same as above, looking for the best quality stock replacement, I will be keeping the thrust plate.

Bearings I assume the norm is usually clevite? That is what I am running in my stroker in my YJ and they seem fine. They show two different choices, A-series (aluminum) and P-series (tri metal). I assume the P-series is the better? I can not remember what I have in my stroker other than the box saying "clevite 77"
Also cam bearings. I have durabond in my YJ's stroker, seems I remember when building it, those seemed to be the ones most people say were the best. Is that still the case?
Thanks for the help.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Best parts for a bone stock 4.0 rebuild

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Hi Jared,

You're welcome to shoot me a call or email and be happy to quote you a kit.

Don't rule out the optional 232 crank 3.500 stroke "Mini" Stroker. Because of its zero deck tight quench, its increased efficiency will give you more torque with the same mileage as a rebuilt 4.0

The Silvolite 2229 Piston is durable and cost-efficient.
Clevite is the bearing of choice. The P series is no longer available in the rod bearings. Replaced with A's but P is still available in mains.

Russ
JeepsAndGuns
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Best parts for a bone stock 4.0 rebuild

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

Russ Pottenger wrote: The Silvolite 2229 Piston is durable and cost-efficient.
Clevite is the bearing of choice. The P series is no longer available in the rod bearings. Replaced with A's but P is still available in mains.

Russ
Don't really have the time or money to do another stroker, so sticking with the stock 4.0 for now. It works perfectly fine for what I use this jeep for.

What is the main difference between the P series and A series, other than I assume is what they are made of? Is one better than the other?
I lost your contact info, so feel free to email me and I can outline what I will need and what I want. My email is my user name "at" gmail.com