Semi-Conventional E85 4.7 Build

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
LRSimons
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Re: Semi-Conventional E85 4.7 Build

Post by LRSimons »

Post by SkylinesSuck » November 15th, 2017, 2:26 am

I have driven the same dual scroll turbo with both a divided pulse style manifold and without. There was several hundred rpm worth of spool difference. In a remote mount setup though, I doubt it will matter.
Cool. Sounds worthwhile at least. We'll have to see if it makes a difference on the jeep. I have a fairly simple (and cheesy) plan for the plumbing, don't know if it's going to work so I'll wait to post it lest I get laughed out of here. :lol:

Clutch was too trashed to work after being put back in. Should've just dropped the cash with the engine out, but nooooo. Ripped the trans and tcase out two weekends ago, got them painted(!) last weekend, should be ready to go in next weekend. I had a leak hopefully from the trans output seal as others have had and wanted to address that as well.

Figured there would be no better time to swap over the 99+ intake I had sitting forlornly on the shelf and do a wrap or coating on the header. After blasting and trying to polish the intake, I cheated and painted it with aluminum color engine paint. :lol: It looks GREAT. Did the header with autozone ceramic paint. Real ceramic coating is supposed to be pretty great, so I figured for ten bucks it was worth a shot. Looks nice though if nothing else.

Painted the hood, cowl, grille (which I knocked on the ground tonight and chipped a chunk off of :brickwall: ), fuel rail, new p/s bracket, a whole bunch of hardware, etc. with bedliner paint. I'm really staring to dig that stuff.

Painted the valve cover tonight because, well, you know, can't have the jeep lookin crappy. PO of the engine globbed rtv all over the sealing surface though causing leaks, so I guess I did something functional as well.

Jeep is getting close to roadworthy, though I'm satisfied just making consistent progress. Next on the docket is pulling out the condenser as it's just blocking flow now, putting everything back on the engine, doing the seals and refilling the trans and tcase, and putting those back in.

Once that's done the party can begin for real! :cheers:

Pics to follow.
LRSimons
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by LRSimons »

My apologies for strange photo dimensions.

Old vs. new intakes

Intake mostly painted

Header mostly painted

Getting front driveshaft bolts out of transfer case yoke - took the acetylene torch in the end to get them out. Stock bolts are stupid. I bought normal ones at the store.

Prepped for paint

Trans primered. It looked pretty cool in primer gray.

I'll grab a pic soon of the finished driveline. Looks pretty cool.

Oh yeah, we went through FIVE cans of brakleen getting these clean. There was still some grime on there. I strongly recommend cleaning this kind of thing with a hot water pressure washer. Too bad I sold the work truck and couldn't take them to the car wash.
LRSimons
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by LRSimons »

Been a while since an update. Jeep is running and driving.

Trans and tcase are back in, everything else is back in too. I've taken it on two decent drives so far, one with an open header, one with an open downpipe. Open downpipe is really not much quieter. Yes, I did a massive one-wheeler claiming victory.

Decided against running a twin scroll setup. The PITA in all likeliness wouldn't have been worth it, considering the exhaust would have double the volume to lose pressure and heat into.

I had put that chopped header on and drove it around before making up my mind, so it all came off again. But, I reused the intake/exhaust gasket and the engine idled at 1500 soooooo......

Wrapped the header and downpipe before putting them back on. Apparently it makes a significant difference in a remote mount setup. Still have to run the rest of the tubing but that should take less than an hour.

Oh, and that "cheesy" exhaust I was going to run? I found huge rolls of flexible exhaust tubing for sale, and was seriously considering running two flexy pipes back to the turbo. Couldn't quite bring myself to do that. I'm certainly a hack, but not THAT much of a hack.

Got the condenser pulled out like I mentioned earlier. Also did the raised hood hinge thing with a stack of washers. Runs cool at 170 or so with no fans. Keep in mind this is in weather no higher than 20 degrees.

Fixed the heater which burnt up the switch like everyone else's. Another $35 down the tube. No way I'm driving without that though.

What needs to be done-

Waste another hour at autozone finding a belt that works with the intake swap and no a/c. p/n anyone?

Chop the roof off and figure out a turbo mounting point

Run the rest of the exhaust

Turbo oil and all of that stuff- Was really exited about doing a self contained oil system before, on the fence now. Opinions?

Radiator probably has a hole in it

It's been so cold lately I haven't gotten much done. Barely above zero for the past two weeks. But hey, flying across the frozen lake on a track and two skis sure is fun. Bought a beater sled this year, and man is it a riot!
LRSimons
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by LRSimons »

Got the first section of the exhaust done. Tried making my own fittings after looking at the cost of mandrel bends (and the quality if crush bends). Pie cutting and welding really isn't that hard. Finished all the fittings and around 1/3 of the total system.

Don't give me too much crap about the welds, my mig is out of gas so I torch welded all the fittings. Sort of surprised it worked as well as it did. Welds don't look that nice though. I'll have a tig someday.

Got the new style power steering pump installed after a good clean up job-

Picking up belt number 5 today. Because this is certianly easier than measuring with a string. :x

Swapped the top idler for one with ribs. 78.5" belt should be just about perfect. 79.5" fits, but hits that protrusion on the block above the harmonic balancer when tensioned. 78" was a tiny bit short and would not fit.
LRSimons
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by LRSimons »

Turbo is mounted and exhaust is done. Oil lines are done, waiting on a scavenge pump. Turbo makes cool noises.

Feast your eyes.

Cold side tubing is next, as well as building the megasquirt.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Is your oil drain back down hill the whole way?
LRSimons
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by LRSimons »

Yes, it has a downhill slant and honestly is working better than I expected. Once the oil is hot it only sprays or smokes a little.

Got the pump in the mail yesterday. It's the cheap version, from research the only downside is the noise, which from an initial test doesn't seem too bad.
LRSimons
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by LRSimons »

Jeep is running and driving on MS3 and is nearly ready to run boost. Just have to install the wastegate and run tubing.

MS3 really wasn't that bad to install, took about a week of evenings and a weekend to get it done. I'll post a more detailed writeup at some point. Tuning it has been enjoyable so far, the butt dyno says it's close to stock power and probably getting better mpg as well.

Also swapped in a 3.55 29 spline 8.25 welded the right way after breaking my 3.07 8.25 after welding it on the ground with the oxy torch.