Gutless 4.7 stroker

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Gutless 4.7 stroker

Post by SkylinesSuck »

I'd guess it's off by a tooth. Does it cough and spit like it's trying at all?
YJCorbyn
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1988

Post by YJCorbyn »

Not sure how to post videos here but here’s a link to a video of it cranking with the timing set straight. https://youtu.be/OktZeM0szwU

I retarted the timing a tooth because when it was running that’s where it was. At least I thought...
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator

Post by SkylinesSuck »

I suspect you are 180* out. To set it to TDC, don't just look at the rockers. Pull plug #1 and rotate by hand until you feel the compression stroke with your finger plugging the hole where the spark plug used to be. Then set per Dino's instructions.

The only difference between running before and not running now was reindexing the dizzy, rigbt? If so, Occam's Razor seems to apply.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

You have fuel, air, and spark so it seems that they're not correctly synchronized. Is it possible that you have the cam timing off?
YJCorbyn
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by YJCorbyn »

Cheromaniac wrote:You have fuel, air, and spark so it seems that they're not correctly synchronized. Is it possible that you have the cam timing off?

That is what I’m starting to think. I just can’t figure out how I had it running before. It doesn’t really matter seeing how it wasn’t right but still makes me curious.

I’m going out of town for the rest of the week but I’ll pull the front of the motor off and re degree the cam. I’ll also call hesco. To see how the cam was ground.
YJCorbyn
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by YJCorbyn »

SkylinesSuck wrote:I suspect you are 180* out. To set it to TDC, don't just look at the rockers. Pull plug #1 and rotate by hand until you feel the compression stroke with your finger plugging the hole where the spark plug used to be. Then set per Dino's instructions.

The only difference between running before and not running now was reindexing the dizzy, rigbt? If so, Occam's Razor seems to apply.

Being 180 off would backfire through the intake wouldn’t it? I hooked my compression gauge up to cyl. 1 and watched it build pressure to be sure it was on the compression stroke. I also put my dial indicators on the rocker arms to see when they stopped moving. The only thing I didn’t do was put a rod in the spark plug hole to tell when the piston was just starting to travel down.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator

Post by SkylinesSuck »

If you had a compression gauge on it to tell I guess it ain't 180* out. I did on mine though and it sounded just like yours. I still think it's a timing issue though. Do you have an adjustable timing set?

Wait, I just reread your last. You said you had a dial indicator telling you when the rocker stopped moving. Did you look at the timing mark on the crank pully and line it up with the 0* mark?
YJCorbyn
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by YJCorbyn »

SkylinesSuck wrote:If you had a compression gauge on it to tell I guess it ain't 180* out. I did on mine though and it sounded just like yours. I still think it's a timing issue though. Do you have an adjustable timing set?

Wait, I just reread your last. You said you had a dial indicator telling you when the rocker stopped moving. Did you look at the timing mark on the crank pully and line it up with the 0* mark?
I can’t remember which timing set I have but I think there are 3 positions advanced,standard, and retarted. I could be completely wrong tho... I put the motor together 3 years ago.

The timing mark was lined up.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Sounds right for the timing set although I'm a little surprised is adjustable enough to really bugger things up that bad.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator

Post by SkylinesSuck »

And just for reference, the rotor on my dizzy points to like 6-6:30 instead of 5-5:30 like must people's when at TDC standing at the passenger fender.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

SkylinesSuck wrote:And just for reference, the rotor on my dizzy points to like 6-6:30 instead of 5-5:30 like must people's when at TDC standing at the passenger fender.
That's because the cam centerline is advanced or the timing set is rotating the cam a bit.
TR1Hemi
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by TR1Hemi »

So you got the piston coming up, on the compression stroke, as indicated by your pressure gage and dial indicator on the valves. But what did you do to ensure it was at TDC, and not just "around TDC"? Skyline asked you if once you got it coming up on the compression stroke, did you then line up the mark "on the harmonic balancer" with the 0 mark on the timing cover, and you answered referencing the timing gear + 0 - options.
YJCorbyn
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by YJCorbyn »

TR1Hemi wrote:So you got the piston coming up, on the compression stroke, as indicated by your pressure gage and dial indicator on the valves. But what did you do to ensure it was at TDC, and not just "around TDC"? Skyline asked you if once you got it coming up on the compression stroke, did you then line up the mark "on the harmonic balancer" with the 0 mark on the timing cover, and you answered referencing the timing gear + 0 - options.
I did I also looked in the spark plug hole and watched the piston come up and stop moving. I’m going to pull the front of the motor off and check how the cam is degreed tomorrow. I’m just waiting for a guy in my club to bring my degree wheel back.
TR1Hemi
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by TR1Hemi »

Keep us updated on what you find.
YJCorbyn
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by YJCorbyn »

TR1Hemi wrote:Keep us updated on what you find.
Will do. I got it torn down most of the way last night just waiting to get my degree wheel back hopefully today.