1990 YJ brake booster removal tips?

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
optmaxx
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

1990 YJ brake booster removal tips?

Post by optmaxx »

So my brake booster is going bad, and this is confirmed by a hissing noise coming from the brake when not pressed, and the hissing goes away when I disconnect the vacuum to the booster.

Anyways, I ran into a snag, and that's the two top bolts of the four, located inside the Jeep that you have to loosen in order to remove the booster from the vehicle. There's a bracket that the bolts screw into, and it curves inward at the top making it difficult to get a socket to seat properly; the socket catches, but it slips because of the inward curve of the bracket. I tried extensions with a swivel, a crows foot socket that came with my belt changing kit, and I can only use a long socket because the threads stick out to far for a shorter socket. A shorter socket does fit in there, but I cant get the ratchet and extension to fit because of the thread.

I was thinking of forcing a socket in with a hammer, and replace the bolts after, unless there's a special tool I need? These bolts are screwed in there pretty good, and it took some good force to loosen the bottom ones. Any suggestions?
optmaxx
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: 1990 YJ brake booster removal tips?

Post by optmaxx »

Well my pain didn't last long. I saw that the studs on the new brake booster were smaller than the studs under the steering wheel, and that's when I realized that the booster mounting bolts are located under the hood, bolted onto a bracket; much easier to get too. After that, the job was very simple, good thing I caught it cause I was about to give up and take it to a mechanic.