4.6L "Modified Poor man's" stroker

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
Radioactivexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 4.6L "Modified Poor man's" stroker

Post by Radioactivexj »

Well he told us he installed the new timing set and was starting it yesterday then the distributor failed on him. Probably from being really old (it's probably the original). So he's ordered a new factory one to install so it should be in within the next few days. We went ahead and ordered an AEM 30-4110 air fuel gauge and wideband sensor and that came in the mail today. So were gonna drop it off at his shop and he's going to weld the exhaust bung in for us. So that should help us fine tune the air/fuel ratio after the mechanic gets her running smoothly.
Radioactivexj
Donator
Donator

Post by Radioactivexj »

So we've had the jeep at the dealership for quite some time now. They've done compression tests, it has perfect compression. They've checked the timing, tried advancing and retarding it by turning the distributor. They've checked the sensors. They've done everything they can think of. But the Jeep still doesn't run right somehow. I've had people say it just needs a tune but Flyinryan is convinced with my build specs that theirs another issue somewhere here that couldn't be fixed with tuning. Honestly were to the point where were thinking about doing a carburetor swap on it just to see if we can get it running smooth.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

You are running a stock replacement camshaft, correct? If that is so and someone is saying it needs a tune they don't know what they are talking about.

What it is it doing now? the jumping idle still?

Did anything change after the timing and distributor was changed?
Radioactivexj
Donator
Donator

Post by Radioactivexj »

Yeah it's just a stock camshaft. I haven't actually heard it run since we had it towed to the dealership but from what their saying is it runs fine up to 2500 rpm then it just seems like it falls flat and runs really rough, almost wanting to shut off because it runs so rough. It even has the techs their confused.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

Lifter preload is where I`d start.

Guessing they have done fuel pressure and volume tests ?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

I would check the fuel pre4ssure while this is happening. Doe sit do it in neutral?
Radioactivexj
Donator
Donator

Post by Radioactivexj »

They tested fuel pressure and it stayed at a steady 49ish psi. They said their going to replace the flex plate this week and see if that fixes the issue. Their saying thats one of the only things they think can think of that can be the issue because they've tested about everything else.
Radioactivexj
Donator
Donator

Post by Radioactivexj »

Well guys it's been about two years since an update. Mostly due to a mechanic that barely even touched it in that time, and lied to us about the progress. Anyways we got it back about two or three weeks ago and just the other day we got it towed to my uncles shop where me and him worked on it today. He looked at it on the computer and figured out it was the crank sensor causing our engine to have a weird, lopey idle. You guys were right all along it was just a simple fix. So we got the sensor in today and it runs like a top and sounds great with the flowmaster. Now we've just got a few simple things to fix on it and she will be ready to drive. :twisted: The transmission lines are leaking. Our electric fans need to be rewired. The 4x4 lever needs to be re-attached. We are also going to weld in the bunge for our air/fuel sensor and get it hooked up. We plan on getting all this done on sunday so I should have an update by then. I can't wait to take this thing out and get it muddy after all this time!
Radioactivexj
Donator
Donator

Post by Radioactivexj »

Well we got most of the issues wrapped up, and i've been driving her for the past couple days now and all seems to be well. No ticks or any bad noises from the engine. The temperature stays right around the 195 to 210 range. It seems to have plenty of power. All in all i'm glad i'm finally able to enjoy what has been a project a long time coming. The only small thing I have noticed is that at hot idle the oil pressure drops down to 10 psi. I've read that 13 psi at idle is factory spec. Is this something I should be worried about or is this about normal? I'm open to any opinions. I just want to make sure the engine is healthy.