throttle bodies

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
FlyinRyan
I made it to triple digits!

Re: throttle bodies

Post by FlyinRyan »

Cheromaniac wrote:
FlyinRyan wrote:Alright, stop, collaborate and listen....
Ice ice baby............. ;)
FlyinRyan wrote:Some of the tech here lately is downright unsafe- stock plugs, 87 octane usage with strokers- and some of it is just plain wrong for making power.
AFAIK I'm the only one still using stock Champion RC12LYC plugs but since I live in a hot climate, I also use 91 octane gas most of the time.
Those who want to use 87 octane gas are building low compression motors and don't care about big HP numbers. They're mostly on a limited budget and just want something better than stock.
wjtom wrote:Nobodies motor is going to come apart if just because you turned it higher than 5300rpms if properly assembled with good parts.Every motor has a harmonic at some point just dont hang there.Many 5500-6000rpm runs over 3 years.No problems.I think the harmonic thing is blown out of proportion.This is performance tech right?

Every stroker I tune runs on 91 or 93 (I refuse to tune for low octane), and we use 2 ranges colder, non-projected tip plugs in almost all of them. At least here in the US with the gas we get, you'd be insane not to.
Its that "good enough" mentality that leaves the stroker tech section filled with "my stroker doesn't run right" type threads . I understand that not everyone is made of money- nor am I- but everyone always seems to have the money to do it right the second time.....
Flyin' Ryan Performance
jeepxj3
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj

Post by jeepxj3 »

FlyinRyan wrote:Every stroker I tune runs on 91 or 93 (I refuse to tune for low octane), and we use 2 ranges colder, non-projected tip plugs in almost all of them. At least here in the US with the gas we get, you'd be insane not to.
What brand spark plug and part number?
Thanks.
ccpanel
Stroker Displacement: 275
Vehicle Year: 1950
Vehicle Make: chevy
Vehicle Model: truck

Post by ccpanel »

FlyinRyan wrote: Every stroker I tune runs on 91 or 93 (I refuse to tune for low octane), and we use 2 ranges colder, non-projected tip plugs in almost all of them. At least here in the US with the gas we get, you'd be insane not to.
Its that "good enough" mentality that leaves the stroker tech section filled with "my stroker doesn't run right" type threads . I understand that not everyone is made of money- nor am I- but everyone always seems to have the money to do it right the second time.....

too bad in Kalifornia we cant get 93
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

FlyinRyan wrote: Its that "good enough" mentality that leaves the stroker tech section filled with "my stroker doesn't run right" type threads . I understand that not everyone is made of money- nor am I- but everyone always seems to have the money to do it right the second time.....
Most of those threads are related to something external to the engine causing a problem... typically the distributor/ cam sensor indexing or a sensor.
wjtom
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: wj

Post by wjtom »

In case anyone wants to know scat crank is good for 6500-7000 as per scat.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

If you are mentioning that because of the harmonic, it doesn't come front the crankshaft but rather the cam shaft.

It also doesn't have any real meaning when taken alone.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

SilverXJ wrote:If you are mentioning that because of the harmonic, it doesn't come front the crankshaft but rather the cam shaft.
True, and I believe the reason is that the cam is supported by only four bearings.
The problem with the stock 4.0L crank (and probably the 232/258 cranks as well) is that I believe the rod journals have a tendency to form spider cracks from the oil holes if the engine is frequently taken beyond 5500rpm. If the SCAT cranks have been nitride hardened that shouldn't be an issue.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Cheromaniac wrote:True, and I believe the reason is that the cam is supported by only four bearings.
I believe Hesco tried to add camshaft support with out any luck.
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1981
Vehicle Model: CJ8

Post by akadeutsch »

Bump...Did we ever decide which TB is most usefull? I will be mostly on the highway with some trail riding on the weekends. I am leaning twards a 68mm. Can I find this at the junk yard?
What car has it?
aguiar_racer
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: comanche

Post by aguiar_racer »

FlyinRyan wrote: July 10th, 2014, 8:57 am
Cheromaniac wrote:
FlyinRyan wrote:Alright, stop, collaborate and listen....
Ice ice baby............. ;)
FlyinRyan wrote:Some of the tech here lately is downright unsafe- stock plugs, 87 octane usage with strokers- and some of it is just plain wrong for making power.
AFAIK I'm the only one still using stock Champion RC12LYC plugs but since I live in a hot climate, I also use 91 octane gas most of the time.
Those who want to use 87 octane gas are building low compression motors and don't care about big HP numbers. They're mostly on a limited budget and just want something better than stock.
wjtom wrote:Nobodies motor is going to come apart if just because you turned it higher than 5300rpms if properly assembled with good parts.Every motor has a harmonic at some point just dont hang there.Many 5500-6000rpm runs over 3 years.No problems.I think the harmonic thing is blown out of proportion.This is performance tech right?

Every stroker I tune runs on 91 or 93 (I refuse to tune for low octane), and we use 2 ranges colder, non-projected tip plugs in almost all of them. At least here in the US with the gas we get, you'd be insane not to.
Whats the spark plug number for the 2 steps colder non projected you use?
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Champions as they numerically go lower the heat range goes down.

NGK plugs are the opposite. As the numbers go up, the heat range goes down.
Cummins90
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by Cummins90 »

I have been using champion copper RC9YC gapped to 0.030 in my 96 with a supercharger. Runs like stock out of boost. I am running the stock throttle body at 12psig and I know that's gotta change.
aguiar_racer
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: comanche

Post by aguiar_racer »

Cummins90 wrote: June 8th, 2018, 2:57 pm I have been using champion copper RC9YC gapped to 0.030 in my 96 with a supercharger. Runs like stock out of boost. I am running the stock throttle body at 12psig and I know that's gotta change.
The the rc9yc considered two steps colder from oem?
SIXPAK
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 280

Post by SIXPAK »

wjtom wrote: July 10th, 2014, 6:25 pm In case anyone wants to know scat crank is good for 6500-7000 as per scat.
Ive had a properly prepped 258 crank spin 7800 with out issue. BUT...yes..over time they will crack.
Biggrnjeep97
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by Biggrnjeep97 »

I have a bunch of things to sort out yet but heres a 3” TB im building for my Eaton M112 project. It will use stock sensors and a modified stock shaft.
1FF26C0E-46B8-4B26-A92D-7542FAE8FD2F.jpeg
4D082196-6D3A-496C-9D72-A27F0B5FF9DE.jpeg
2E4776A8-FB86-4AF0-8CC7-816066D86901.jpeg
7482F81F-C104-46E3-BA5B-0E023A460C14.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4.7 Stroker, AW4, Dana 60, 14Bolt, AtlasII 4.3, 104"Wb, 40" Nittos on Walker Evans