Valve Springs/Retainers/Locks for Comp Cam

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
neonhomer
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: ZJ

Valve Springs/Retainers/Locks for Comp Cam

Post by neonhomer »

Well, I am in the process of building a lower buck stroker. Have a 258 crank/rods combo coming.

Just bought a cam for the motor, a Comp 68-232-4, and need to get springs, retainers and locks for the head. The head is a 0630 casting.

I have been told I *need* new springs for the cam, as it has a higher lift than the factory one, but I can't seem to find the right parts.

Being a low buck setup, I am not able to have the head machined for the valve springs.

Can anyone recommend what to use?

I found on here the following-

P4529215 springs
P4452032 retainers
P4529218 keepers (or P4452031 - Hardened keepers)

Thanks for the help... I am sure as I keep building, I am going to have more questions....
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Valve Springs/Retainers/Locks for Comp Cam

Post by gradon »

You want the P5249464 springs for cams with .45"-.525" lift. The P4529215 springs are stock replacements good for lifts up to .44". The retainers and keepers you listed are right.
neonhomer
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by neonhomer »

Don't those require machining of the head to use them?

I'm trying to save a few $$ here and there... and buying these springs and such is going to kill my budget.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci

Post by gradon »

No machining of the head, but they might rub against the driver's side valve cover(unsure of cast alu vs steel diffs), in which case you could bang the cover out or now that I think about it, maybe using the valve cover spacer/gasket that the adjustable roller-rocker folk use would help(don't valve covers taper a bit and having them higher would move the taper higher?). Anyhow, the springs were interfering like 1/32-1/16" on the '96 steel cover I have. The springs work and should be the go-to for 90% of the strokers that use higher-than-stock lift cams(along with the retainers and keepers you listed).
neonhomer
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by neonhomer »

Yeah.. I have the 96 valve cover. I wonder if the cover could be dimpled a bit to clear. Regardless, I can go ahead and order the springs and stuff. The block should be back from the machine shop on Tuesday.

What I am doing is building a lil better than stock motor right now. New bearings, rings, etc etc... and cam. This will get my jeep back into service.

The motor in there now (the original, 230k mile motor) will be stored until I get everything together for the stroker I want. Including the KB pistons, head work, etc etc.... Then I will build it, swap it in, and then shelve the "stock" motor for backup.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

If you have the steel valve you can massage it with a BFH. I don't know what year they went from aluminum to steel.
neonhomer
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by neonhomer »

I know my current valve cover is a steel one.

The donor motor I think had an aluminum one. Will have to see.,
Crawler4XJ
Noob
Noob

Post by Crawler4XJ »

Comp cam 68-231-4
P4452032 retainers
P4529218 keepers
P5249464 spring

Correct?

Summit best price? 12 of everything?
iceknight
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by iceknight »

If you didn't order yet I have a bag of keepers I didn't use let me know if you want them.

I also have the same cam and valve spring setup, I'm wonder about the cam break-in and spring pressure, can I use these spring from start-up or do I need to swap out to original factory to protect the can at start-up? Any information would help km I'm having one hence of a time find specs on these valve springs.
Crawler4XJ
Noob
Noob

Post by Crawler4XJ »

I ended up ordering a head from Clear Water. Head with LS1 big valves was $535 shipped. I added the performance springs for $100. He said the valve springs were Patriot or something that started with a "P". Said they were good up to 600 lift (I think). I told him which cam I was using, he printed it out.
rwkhaussupply
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by rwkhaussupply »

Crawler4XJ wrote:I ended up ordering a head from Clear Water. Head with LS1 big valves was $535 shipped. I added the performance springs for $100. He said the valve springs were Patriot or something that started with a "P". Said they were good up to 600 lift (I think). I told him which cam I was using, he printed it out.
Sorry this is Sooo old of a posting to bring back up. But...

Did their springs rub the Valve Cover?

I have that same head and I would bet Springs- PEP# 053-166-700 HP VALVE SPRING W/DAMPER 1.43odx1.03id*[email protected]

And I think my springs are rubbing the cover all over. I will be pulling the cover in the next few days to see if thats the noise I am hearing. I did the 2x10min at 2100 rpm break ins with the mopar cam and this head adn alum cover. was Noisy. but didnt really know what to check. preload was on the higher side (1-1.5 turns) on HS roller 1.7 rockers. But now that thats done. At a idle I still get noise and can feel it in the cover.