Cracked flexplate, BIG problem need help

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
knever3
Learning to use the board
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Cracked flexplate, BIG problem need help

Post by knever3 »

I have a cracked flexplate and cannot locate the correct replacement since the timing windows are about 1" off. Here goes:

I have posted this on another site also but can't seem to find the right answer. Here goes:

Specs first,

1987 Jeep Comanche had 4.0L 2wd ba-10/5

Installed aw-4 trans, 242 case and all under hood wiring and fuse box from 1990 XJ. Ran fine until I noticed the flex plate knock. Thought it was a rod bearing so I decided to install my stroker motor. '96 block and head, kept all the renix stuff including the flywheel from the last motor, which was from the '90 donor.

After noticing the noise was on the new motor I removed the flex plate and ordered a new one for an '87 Comanche. I noticed that the windows in the outer ring were in different locations than the old one I pulled. Sure enough, installed it and the timing is so far off it won't start. Ordered one for the '90 XJ and it turned out to be the same part.

So here's the update today. I went to Advance to get yet another flexplate for a '90 XJ/MJ. It was sealed and when I opened it up to compare it was exactly the same as the first three I saw. I took some comparison pictures for you all to noodle on.

Old one with the crack, reason for the whole debacle.

Old one vs. new one.

As you can see what I was talking about the timing windows are "off" between the two.

Here's some pics of the CPS.

I bought another flexplate from Crown, I even checked the box to make sure. The same result. The windows are in the wrong spot. I guess I should put it back in and just adjust the dist untill the timing is correct. That is really crazy since the dist is supposed to be set to TDC 0 degrees and the computer is supposed to adjust the timing according to the knock sensor and such.

Picture of all three, my original on the bottom, Advance Auto's ATP/Dorman, and the Crown is on the top. The flexplates do have different holes drilled in them in some locations most likely for balancing.

Back to square one...

Please direct me to anyone that can help with this problem. I need to get my truck going ASAP. Thanks!!!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Cracked flexplate, BIG problem need help

Post by SilverXJ »

Clean up the original one and see if you can pull a part number off of it
racing89
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 306 ci
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: comanche

Post by racing89 »

All 87-90 renix are the same.( #33002675 chrysler . not amc #) Your supposed replacement doesnt look like a 91- either. Chinese miscalculation perhaps?
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Post by yuppiexj »

You may luck out and have some built-in timing advance.
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
knever3
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by knever3 »

I can clean it up but even the new ones don't have a part number stamped into them. Doubtful if it exists. As for timing advance the truck won't even start with the new aftermarket one installed. Any more ideas?
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

When i purchased mine, i didn't even check to see if the windows lined up. I just installed it and it worked.

From what i understand all RENIX are the same.. and they have the windows like what you posted. I guess its possible that some weird chinese knockoff or some kind of other weirdness is associated with the ones you have been purchasing. You didn't mess with the Distributor while doing this work did you? Your positive you have lines these up correctly?

A link to the one i bought is in my build thread. I ordered it off RockAuto and its the OMIX-ADA brand. No problems with it at all on my Stroker..

http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=2317

I also have a good used one sitting in my garage.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
604rail_king
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by 604rail_king »

i was just going to say maybe try another parts source.
the_wrench116
Donator
Donator

Post by the_wrench116 »

Ive got a few spares pay shipping and 10$ its yours.
92 XJ 4D custom borla header 3" exhaust flowmaster 50series muffler.

ATK on the way then an OBD 2 swap so flyin ryan can tune.