Superchargers?

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
CobraMarty
BANNED
BANNED
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Superchargers?

Post by CobraMarty »

Comparing the power of the new 'state of the art' engines to an engine of 20 years old technology, really? I would hope that in 20 years they would be more efficent with higher outputs and economy. As far as stroker vs supercharger there will always be debate. There is a whole website with strokers that have problems. Sure not all but many. To install a well designed supercharger in 1 day and to have output of 275/300 is quite decent. $4k for the SC vs. the stroker costs with installation and time, is about a wash. Dyno curves of each would really be impressive. An engine conversion would be even more expensive. That is why we are all different.
1998 XJ 2D AW4 32"MTR 3.55 4.5"RC JCR Slider Magnaflow 150rwHP/174rwTQ=> Sprintex SC Gibson Header 6lb 120-140*IAT 211rwHP/274rwTQ WasherFluid Inj 70mmTB 7.5lb 100-120*IAT=>Now 12 pounds Boost=> +BV ported head
99 XJ M62 S/C
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Plechtan »

Sorry i didn't realize i broke the rules. I am looking strictly at dollars per hp, all options. Some people need their vehicle for a daily driver and don't mind spending 4K or so for a turbo/supercharger. One day seems a little aggressive for a complete install. Many people build their stroker from a core motor, then swap the stock motor out for the storker over a weekend, or even in 1 day. If you look at the thread "how much did you spend on your stroker?" the survey shows it is generally less than $3,000.00. So if a blown 4.0 is similar performance to a Stroker, i guess i would save a grand and go with a stroker.

The name of the category is " Stroker Performance and tech" So you are correct the performance of current generation motors has nothing to do with Strokers. Neither does supercharging a 4.0 .
They are relevant for comparison purposes. If you are building a Stroker you should understand what you are doing and how it relates to the other options available. The Jeep engine started life in 1966 as the Rambler 199 cid inline 6, that makes the design more like 40 years old. The engine has several major limitations, the crank harmonic, small cam diameter, lack of 7 cam bearings, a non cross flow head, etc.
I agree that you will never be able to achieve the performance (or gas mileage) of the newer generation engines on the Jeep inline 6 platform. If you want big HP i think a supercharger is the way to go. I just don't think it is worth the effort unless you are shooting for 350-400hp.
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
ftpiercecracker1
I made it to triple digits!

Post by ftpiercecracker1 »

sorry, this is probably a major thread highjack :smack: , but i cant seem to find anybody with an answer.

at least it pertains to forced induction. . .
either way heres the short and sweet, turbo charged stroker.

I will be using megasquirt to handle electronics, BUT I dont know if megasquirt is compatable with a 1990 RENIX ECU.

it has two independent plugs and uses tiny metal stems instead of flat metal tabs(these are what is sticking out of the ECU plug ports).

the truck has all the needed sensors (knock, O2, intake temp, coolant temp, crank sensor, the works) I just dont know whether to get the MS1,MS2, MS3 or if I will have to make a custom plug.

again sorry about the highjack :oops:
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

You already have a thread for this:

http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=5&t=3252

Please keep your questions in one thread.. thanks
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
ftpiercecracker1

Post by ftpiercecracker1 »

that would be my bad, I completely forgot about the thread i had already started. :lol: . . . . :oops: