Some fun projects i have been working on.

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Some fun projects i have been working on.

Post by SilverXJ »

Figured I would post a few other project I have been working on for the XJ between screwing with my failure of a stroker.

First I made a gauge bezel/overlay. I had been thinking about doing something like this for a while since I have access to a router at work. Previous I had one of the cheap stainless 2d ones found on ebay. The final nudge to get me going came from a friend in Canada (got in touch with him on an Australia brake buy I was working on) that mentioned he would like something similar to the chrome surrounds found on newer vehicles. I purchased a gauge cluster for test fitting and scanned it in to my computer. From there I brought it into illustrator and drew the shapes needed. After several test cuts and alterations in Illustrator I came up with what you see below. It is 6061 T6 aluminum, sandblasted then hard anodized grey. The text and symbols were etched on the laser at work. The speedo and tach have 45* bevel and the other gauges are straight cut. 3 different designs were made. The one that has "Supercharged" on it is for the guy in Canada. This project went well over a year in production. It is pure bling but it came out better than expected.

The second one I was working on is a multigauge. I wanted some extra gauges, but didn't see anything I liked. Just purchasing somethign would have been too expensive, too many and have taken up too much room. When you start adding crap to the interior you realize how limited the space you have to work with is. The gauge will display engine vacuum, oil pressure, oil temp, and transmission temp. I can also later add other sensors and features to it if I want to. It is based on an Arduino Duemilanove (http://arduino.cc/en/). The Duemilanove has 6 analog inputs and 14 digital input/outputs (http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDiecimila). It is programmed in C. Amazingly I actually remembered how to program in C. The display is a 16x2 trans-reflective LCD amber in color. It is encased in a 4 part plexi housing; clear back, clear mid section, black front with clear lens. The housing was also cut on the router. The Arduino and its power supply)it takes 7-12v for input) are mounted behind the glove box. For temperature I used ISSPro sensors, oil I used an Autometer sensor, and for vacuum I will tie into the factory MAP sensor. I normal operation it will display oil temp, oil pressure, transmission temp, and vacuum. Should the oil pressure drop too low, the oil temp get to high, or the transmission temp too high it will sound an alarm (really annoying) and display the out of spec parameter (which can be seen in the images). I used a RAM mount to attach it to the mirror arm. The oil pressure sensor is at the back of the block where the stock sensor has been relocated to. The oil temp sensor is placed after the oil filter where the stock oil pressure sensor use to be. The transmission temp sensor will be placed after the hot hard line and before the soft line for the cooler that I installed earlier.

The last project is a more concealer radar detector. A few years ago I had made a concealed mount for my Valentine 1 on the over head console out of fiberglass, as seen below, and used its remote display mounted on the dash. I was unhappy with a) where the remote display was mounted (low right of the gauge cluster) and the fact that the Velcro that was holding it on kept falling off. I decided to mount it behind the dash it self. I used the router to cut a hole in the dash panel to the upper right of the gauge cluster then cut a lexan panel to fit flush in the hole in that hole. I also put some tint on the back of the lexan to disguise it further when off. The display was converted from all red leds to different color leds indication signal strength and the band. The mute/function button was installed on the dash below the toggle switch for the Lightforce lights I installed years ago. Now I have a completely concealer and out of the way radar detector.

I am also working on a headlight leveling system found on the European XJs. I have the switch installed and wired but have not yet installed teh leveling servos and brackets.

I still would like to cut some new pedals on the router and a battery hold down. Maybe some other stuff if I have time.

One last image or everything:

shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Re: Some fun projects i have been working on.

Post by shawnxj »

like the remote valentine setup. might have to steal it for mine. also like the second gauge cluster bling
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

good to see someone who loves aftermarket toys almost as much as me!! :cheers: looks great! anything more in there?
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
sabinespeed
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by sabinespeed »

Wow, that guage cluster looks nice...I especially like the lettering along the side of the tach. Looks classy.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

amcinstaller wrote:good to see someone who loves aftermarket toys almost as much as me!! :cheers: looks great! anything more in there?
I have lots of aftermarket stuff... as far as gadgets/electronics I also have the wideband, seen at the very front of the center console. The Apexi is off to the right, but that will be replaced with a PSC1. I have a Pioneer premier head unit, infinity kappa speakers, an Infinity Basslink in the trunk and a Pioneer amp to install. There are two GM air ride compressors in the trunk and an air tank for them (recycled scuba tank actually). The two switches below the V1 display are for the Lightforce lights. One is for on all the time, one for on only with the high beams. Beside the transmission shifter is a switch for the reverse fogs (tinted glass makes the stock reverse lamps even more useless... just ask my rear bumper what it though about that tree), and another switch for the compressors. On the right side of the center console is a CB radio. I also installed an electo-chromatic mirror. I got it at a swap meet for $10.. the guy have 4 others, which I should have also purchased at that price. I also have a Viper remote start system with two way paging. I may eventually move the multigauge and wide band into the overhead center console. And I really want to build a carputer. MP3s, Garmin, OBD2 gauges, etc, all in the same place.

Aside from that I have the handmade aluminum pedals, a 5.9L leather shifter handle, diamond plate floor mats, and a lowered driver's seat. Then there is the brakes and suspension upgrade.. which I can list if you like. Lol.
amcinstaller
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

for my next car i have some computer parts ill be using for a carputer. 15 inch lcd in the dash here i come!! :twisted: also, all digital designs, planet audio and a premier deck, with compustar 2 way alarm/starter :D
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

15" is a little large for a carputer... hope you get a big car next time.
YJason
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by YJason »

That guage cluster is really nice, it makes me miss being a machinist.
Tinga
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by Tinga »

Very Nice. If you ever get around to wanting to do a TJ overlay, lemme know. I'll tear mine apart and get some specs for ya :P
92tank
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.5
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by 92tank »

the tj gauge cluster it the same as the xj. i think
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

92tank wrote:the tj gauge cluster it the same as the xj. i think
I believe it is. The low fuel indicator may be slightly different though.
Tinga
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 2002

Post by Tinga »

SilverXJ wrote:
92tank wrote:the tj gauge cluster it the same as the xj. i think
I believe it is. The low fuel indicator may be slightly different though.
I think it might be a tad different. Of course if I actually had my effin TJ I'd check. Stoopid mechanic is sitting on my damn motor :doh:
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Just a short update. The multi gauge has been working fine, but I don't have the vacuum hooked up yet. I'll do that when I change the Apexi out for wither an FTC1 or AEM unit in the future. See below for pics. I also found something nice on the gauge bezel I didn't think of/plan on. The light from the gauges reflects on the 45* cuts for the speedo and tach. Neat.

sabinespeed
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by sabinespeed »

I love it man. Inventive stuff.
TJ9999
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 2004

Post by TJ9999 »

Very cool stuff and well made!
I would love to fit a trans temp gauge on my TJ stroker but still have too figure out where and how to fix which sensor. :geek:
TJ Rubicon 4.7L stroker 2004 *** Willys M201 ex french army 1957