rebuilding a 4.0L head

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
worthington1
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

rebuilding a 4.0L head

Post by worthington1 »

I am wanting to know how to rebuild a head i have everything to do it just dont know how ?
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: rebuilding a 4.0L head

Post by IH 392 »

I'm an ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist, I do know how to do it, have probably rebuilt over a thousand cylinder heads, gas and diesel, and I don't have two thirds of the equipment to rebuild cylinder heads.
To "rebuild" a cylinder head (without replaceable guides) the guides are bored out and "false" guides are installed, topped and reamed, then the seats are refaced or counter bored and inserts are installed and faced, then it's resurfaced, cleaned and reassembled with new parts.
I do have the equipment to reface used valves and face the seats, but I don't have the equipment to do any of the rest of it, the SERDI seat and guide center and ROTTLER SFO surfacer I used at the machine shop with tooling ran about $80K, I can't afford that for at home!
What kind of equipment do you have?
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
jbxx
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: $.6 mistake?
Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Re: rebuilding a 4.0L head

Post by jbxx »

I think what he may be asking is what can be done to a head during a rebuild.
Such as valve job, resurfacing, porting etc. What are you building? depending on the cam you may need different springs, retainers etc.
You can also add SS valves. More details in the question please.