First stroker...questions...

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
spikestrip
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

First stroker...questions...

Post by spikestrip »

Hi guys..I have a 1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 H.O.(2001 head on it). I think i spun a bearing, so I am looking at stroking it. What is the CHEAPEST way to build. I would like to do it with no machining(my town sucks, we dont have anybody that can do it). I have a list of parts I think i need. I just need straight answers. If it will work, tell me. If not, I REALLY need to know.

Reman 258 crank kit(maybe rods)
oil pan gasket
Cheapest piston set or new set of rings

So I want to use my stock cam and rods and pistons if I can get away with it. I just put head on it 2 months ago, so i know the pistons and cylinder walls are good. Bought the truck used(255,000 miles on it) and I think the motor had been swapped or rebuilt. Could clearly see hone marks and no lip in cylinder sooo...ANY help is appreciated, I need to get parts on the way so I can get back on the road! Its my DD..
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Re: First stroker...questions...

Post by amcinstaller »

with the longer stroke, you wont be able to use stock rods and pistons. you COULD use stock pistons with the shorter 258 rods though. check out cheromaniancs poor mans stroker, i think its the quickest and cheapest one. also, read the faqs and look at the stroker recipes. ive been there with the spun bearing, no fun.
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
spikestrip

Post by spikestrip »

I found a set of Hypereutectic pistons, 8-7-1 compression ratio and 1.592 compression height. Will those work on 4.0 rods?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

No. If you are going to use 4.0L rods you need a) KB994 pistons or b) custom pistons.
IH 392

Post by IH 392 »

Did it spin a rod bearing or a main bearing?, the rod may be able to be rebuilt?, but is easily replaced, if it's a main the block will need a line hone at the least and could be worse than that!???
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
amcinstaller
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

also a good question. exactly which bearing did spin? also why? bent crank, no oil?
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
spikestrip

Post by spikestrip »

Im not sure what bearing..havent tore into it yet....what happened was I was driving and it started making a really loud ticking sound the a squealing sound, like metal on metal. I pulled my valve cover and all lifters are working and I am firing on all cylinders...it still has a slight tick and it gets louder when its at idle. I was about a quart and a half low on oil, and i did an oil change and it happened the next day(Its my DD, ya im drivin it). I want to get all bases covered before I tear into it so i can get parts on the way fast!