ISKY CAMSHAFT TECH TIPS...GOOD READING

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

ISKY CAMSHAFT TECH TIPS...GOOD READING

Post by dwg86 »

http://www.iskycams.com/techtips.php
Here is some good info on camshafts. I thought the tech tip 2003 and 2004 was pretty good info on cam duration. In tech tip 2004 its talks about longer exhaust duration causing higher exhaust temps and headers glowing cherry red. I found this interesting, because I have seen glowing red headers on cam break in. I have personally experienced having to shut an engine down during cam break in because the engine got too hot. But when I broke in the cam on my stroker, I ran 2500 RPM's for 25 mins and my engine never got hot, and the header never turned red. Maybe Isky is on to something here about longer exhaust duration cams. BTW I am running the same lift/duration on both intake and exhaust...HMMM :huh:
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: ISKY CAMSHAFT TECH TIPS...GOOD READING

Post by seanyb505 »

The Isky cam I have has longer duration and more lift on the exhaust side. I didnt see any red hot glowing, or overheating. After reading those tech tips, I think one of those Spike (Horsepower, Extreme 4x4) shows ought to sit down with a 4.0 (preferrably stroked to have accurate relevant results) and test different camshaft grinds. Would it be too much to ask to try all the cams they test with each of the head designs, too?
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: ISKY CAMSHAFT TECH TIPS...GOOD READING

Post by SilverXJ »

My headers have always glowed during cam break in, pretty normal. All the cams had longer exhaust durations though.
seanyb505 wrote:After reading those tech tips, I think one of those Spike (Horsepower, Extreme 4x4) shows ought to sit down with a 4.0 (preferrably stroked to have accurate relevant results) and test different camshaft grinds. Would it be too much to ask to try all the cams they test with each of the head designs, too?
That would be nice, but there are so many different cams available and with different head/intake/exhaust combos that would mean a lot of dyno runs and swapping.