How to Remove Harmonic Balancer / Vibration Damper

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

How to Remove Harmonic Balancer / Vibration Damper

Post by PolloLoco »

There are no threaded holes to place bolts in that my remover tool has. I tried tapping the holes but the bolt stripped the threading. Did I ruin the harmonic balancer by making the holes unequal size now?

How do I get the damned thing off?
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Re: How to Remove Harmonic Balancer / Vibration Damper

Post by yuppiexj »

Did you remove the bolt (AND WASHER) from the crank snout?

If the balancer removal holes are stripped. try using longer bolts with nuts and washers on the end to attach the puller to the balancer. (IIRC the holes go all the way through)

I trashed a balancer puller by leaving the washer in place after removing the crank bolt. (stupid thing was glued in with some rtv).
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator

Post by PolloLoco »

yuppiexj wrote:Did you remove the bolt (AND WASHER) from the crank snout?
I thought that I did

yuppiexj wrote:If the balancer removal holes are stripped. try using longer bolts with nuts and washers on the end to attach the puller to the balancer. (IIRC the holes go all the way through)
They were never threaded to begin with. I thought that it was just crudded up but I took a wire brush and cleaned out a smooth hole. I went to Lowe's this morning and got some nuts and bolts.

yuppiexj wrote:I trashed a balancer puller by leaving the washer in place after removing the crank bolt. (stupid thing was glued in with some rtv).
Oh, that washer. I found it now, I didn't realize that it was a washer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator

Post by PolloLoco »

So I fished a couple nuts behind the balancer and got it out. Gotta love tool warranties, they cover the cost of stupidity. :)
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

nice! chalk that up to another thing i never thought id see today. ive broke my fair share of tools due to misuse and stupidity too :cheers:
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator

Post by PolloLoco »

Believe it or not it was a Harbor Freight tool! The Pittsburgh tools carry a lifetime warranty. Best $9.99 that I've spent there.
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

dude I did that once,.. that washer doesn't look like a washer I also broke the puller and took it back and got a replacement... "must have been a flaw in the casting or something" :doh:
I also once got a puller that the main bolt was crooked, like they tapped it at an angle off center, man that thing was the hardest bolt I've ever cussed at. it's amazing how hard a HB is to pull off a press fit with a bolt that's trying to pull slightly off center... I gave up got a replacement that checked out okay and went back and pulled the thing like it was butter... the old one required all my weight baring down to even turn a half turn.
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
IH 392

Post by IH 392 »

I snapped the ears off of so many Craftsman pullers I finally ponied up for a MAC and haven't had a problem since!
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel