97 tj 4.6l stroker.

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
Rickyd
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

97 tj 4.6l stroker.

Post by Rickyd »

Hey guys, been lurking for a while since the idea of a stroker got in my head. It took almost a year to gather info/parts and get the motor built. Now its in my jeep and i want to tune the ecm,fine tune plug heat range and find out what a reasonable expectation for octane is with my combo. Basically get her running tip top.

Heres my parts list:
-96 zj block
-Scat 4.2l crank and rods
-Russ's 18cc forged pistons .030 over,chevy floating pins
- .040 thick 3.990 bore mls head gasket
-Edelbrock head w/57cc smoothed chambers/ports. Stock valve sizes.
-Comp cam 231 russ spec'd.nitrided
-99 intake and 24lb injectors
-throttle body with step behind blade removed
-Banks header
-centerforce heavyweight flywheel(manual trans)
-Stock exhaust and intake for now

All other parts are stock for now.
Rickyd
Noob
Noob

Re: 97 tj 4.6l stroker.

Post by Rickyd »

If the calculator is correct then i have 10.2 static compression and 8.57 dynamic. I was told by russ he would spec me pistons i could run on 87 octane with an eddy cylinder head

Does this seem a bit high to you guys for 87 octane?

I guess i could go with ls valves and more chamber work to lower compression if need be?

I just broke in the cam last night and drove it 30 miles varying speed, rpm and throttle with a few full throttle runs for the rings.
Temp is rock solid an oil pressure around 40 psi

A little valve train noise but hopefully that will go away
Rickyd
Noob
Noob

Post by Rickyd »

It did have some rattle lugging it with too much throttle but pulls great down low just like i wanted.hills are no longer a problem!!

Spark plugs are stock champion rc12lyc but edelbrock recommends rc12yc for that head?

So heres what I'd really like to know. Will a tune and colder plugs stop the rattle? Or do i need to pull the head and get russ to work his magic with LS valves and larger chambers.
Rickyd
Noob
Noob

Post by Rickyd »

I will be getting a hptuners compatible wideband very soon and a tuner to tweak it for me. Flyn ryan flat out said he won't tune our strokers on 87 octane. That and the rattle has me a little worried I'm missing something?

I want to be able to run this on 87 and lug it down wheeling my lifted and locked tj in the summer.
Rickyd
Noob
Noob

Post by Rickyd »

A couple pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rickyd
Noob
Noob

Post by Rickyd »

Motor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

You wont pay a few cents a gallon for higher octane fuel but are willing to take it all apart and incur the expense of lowering the compression ratio ? Plus cheating yourself out of the reliability a good tune will provide ?
Rickyd
Noob
Noob

Post by Rickyd »

Some places only have 87(like death valley).that is how i want this build to go.

As far as a tune it will get one.but not from ryan apparently.

As far as the head removal thats easy.

You didn't address my questions about stopping knock and the compression ratio for 87.
jsawduste
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

Not going to address it.

You had the engine speced/parts supplied through a reliable builder, talk to them.
Rickyd
Noob
Noob

Post by Rickyd »

Russ is one of the people i am hoping will chime in. He's a busy guy and has had a LOT of emails from me already,lol. Thanks for your insight sawdust its been invaluable ;)
Rickyd
Noob
Noob

Post by Rickyd »

So it turns out i have a lifter bleeding down overnight now. Good thing i clearanced the pushrod holes so a lifter will come out with the head on. I did a little google but didn't see a source for a2011 johnson hylifts. Anyone know of an online source?

Running 91octane right now until the wideband shows up. That and the plugs edelbrock recommends stopped the pinging for now until i get it tuned.

Otherwise its nice and torquey.pulls hills great in overdrive.with the heavyweight flywheel and throttlebody that isn't huge it has great manners crawling around.it isn't jerky coming into the throttle like even stock can be.
I'm very happy with it so far at 500 miles.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003

Post by dwg86 »

Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Rickyd wrote: December 1st, 2020, 10:40 am So it turns out i have a lifter bleeding down overnight now. Good thing i clearanced the pushrod holes so a lifter will come out with the head on. I did a little google but didn't see a source for a2011 johnson hylifts. Anyone know of an online source?

Running 91octane right now until the wideband shows up. That and the plugs edelbrock recommends stopped the pinging for now until i get it tuned.

Otherwise its nice and torquey.pulls hills great in overdrive.with the heavyweight flywheel and throttlebody that isn't huge it has great manners crawling around.it isn't jerky coming into the throttle like even stock can be.
I'm very happy with it so far at 500 miles.
Remind me what you’re running for an injector.
With a 34.5 mainline fuel pressure you’ll need to be running at least a 24 pound injector or more depending on what air fuel ratio is telling you.

About 6 to 8 months ago I switched over to supplying the A2011 Johnson Hylift lifters over the Comp 822
That has shown to be a better lifter in my opinion and not having some of the valve train noises that I was previously having.

Don’t hesitate to hit me back up with any questions.

Thanks,
Russ
Rickyd
Noob
Noob

Post by Rickyd »

Hey russ thanks for your reply. My injectors are 0280155703's they said 24lb on the baggies they came in.

I haven't got a wideband yet but plan on a ballenger setup for hptuners.

I did change out one lifter for #1 exhaust as the rocker arm compressed much more than the others on the heel of the cam after letting it sit overnight. It still ticks a few seconds at startup so i guess i should have spent more time looking at others? Not too sure how to diagnose since a mechanics stethoscope didn't help. Oil comes out of all pushrods.

Preload is .040-50". Which i settled on because i could find a stock application that got me that
Rickyd
Noob
Noob

Post by Rickyd »

While replacing the radiator i decided what the heck and put in stock length pushrods adding another .040 or so preload to the lifters. It quieted the valvetrain up and got rid of the lifter tick for a second in the morning. So much for johnsons literature saying only .020" preload is needed. The plunger travels about .200" so i hope it will work out like this.