Budget overland stroker build

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
XJOverland
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Budget overland stroker build

Post by XJOverland »

Small update. The TDS adapter is really well done.

You need to bore out your intake manifold to match the bore on the adapter (which is 68mm). Simply bolt the adapter onto the manifold, scribe a line, and grind away with a burr and die grinder. Finish with sand paper and do a light polish.

Second step is to adapt the cable linkage. This will require some fabbing/welding to merge the linkage of a 4.0 tbody to the linkage of the 4.7 tbody. I'll make another post for this.

There are a couple things to look out for when sourcing a Dodge 4.7 throttle body. This is based on my time at the yard pulling three different throttle bodies so I make no promises as to the accuracy of my findings:
  • The throttle body you want will come from a Dodge 4.7 V8
  • Some Dodge 4.7 throttle bodies are 65mm and some are 68mm. The TDS adapter accommodates the 68mm. The 68mm is easy to distinguish as it has "68mm" stamped right on the plate. The 65mm has no stamping. There is a year where the 4.7 v8 switched from 65 to a 68mm but I'm not sure what year (somewhere around 2000?). The 65mm will work but you would have a step where the throttle body meets the adapter.
  • There are two castings of the 68mm throttle body. The difference is in the style of IAC they accommodate. One allows an IAC that is held on with one bolt, the other allows an IAC that is held on with two bolts. The two bolt style has the same IAC found in the Jeep 4.0 up to 2004 and the single bolt style uses the same IAC as found in the 2005+ Jeep 4.0. So you need to pick a throttle body from the correct doner vehicle to match with the style of IAC on your Jeep.
  • In my junk-yard hunting, I found the correct 4.7 tbody for Jeep 4.0's up to 2004 were found in the Jeep Grand Cherokees WJ (up to 2004). The correct 4.7 throttle body for a 2005+ Jeep 4.0 were found in the second gen Dodge Dakota Durango (2000(ish) up to 2004). The 65mm throttle bodies were found in early second gen Dodge Dakota/Durango (pre 2000(ish)).
  • The TPS sensor appears to be the same on all 4.7 throttle bodies and is a match for the TPS found on the Jeep 4.0 throttle body... plug and play.
  • Once you get the correct 4.7 throttle body, your existing 4.0 IAC and TPS should swap right over.
I'll post more throttle body info as I go along.

Just waiting to hear from Russ on pistons etc. Meanwhile I'll start the head work and finish up the tbody.
KarmaKannon1
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by KarmaKannon1 »

Very cool that you are using the tds adapter. I was just looking into the same thing. I'll be eagerly awaiting the results.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Great info!
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Just started following your thread.

Well done!

Hopefully I responded and got back to you on your piston and rod Inquiry?
XJOverland
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by XJOverland »

Russ Pottenger wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 12:18 pm Just started following your thread.

Well done!

Hopefully I responded and got back to you on your piston and rod Inquiry?
Hi Russ, we exchanged a couple emails and had a phone conversation about my build (I'm in Alberta, Canada). I owe you the CC numbers for my head before you put together some rods and pistons. The build is still very much a go. I plan to assemble my motor in the Fall so I do need to get my parts together. Ill be in touch shortly after I'm back from vacation.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Sounds good.

Just making sure your email didn’t slip through the cracks.
My secretarial skills sometimes are less than desirable.
Robstroker
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by Robstroker »

Hey XJOverland... how is the build? can you share any updates with us?