What carb for a 383 Chevy V8 ?

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
Prisielli

What carb for a 383 Chevy V8 ?

Post by Prisielli »

Hello !
I can get cheap a 1405 Edelbrock carb for my stroker but im not sure if 600cfm are enough to feed the engine. In Germany i cant get a significant answer for this question, i hope you can. Max. rpm are 6000, other tech details are:
200cc alu heads with big valves, ede performer intake
TJryder
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: What carb for a 383 Chevy V8 ?

Post by TJryder »

Don,'t buy a carb.

Buy Sniper EFI or GoEfi600. Rated up to 600hp, easy instal, grat driveabity, good fuel economy. Made as direct reacement for those 4bbl carbs. I did it on my Corvette C3.

How did you get your paperwork done for V8 upgrade here in beurocratic Europe?

BR M from SLO.
°O|||||||O°
TJryder
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by TJryder »

There is also Sniper for jeep version!
°O|||||||O°
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: XJ 2 door

Post by gonridnu »

600 CFM Edlebrock carb #1405 is the correct size for a street driven 383. You can find CFM calculators on Summit Racing site. I used to be a tech for them and owned my own engine shop. That carb is also offered in an electric choke version. Those carbs are jetted to run rich from the factory on a 350 at sea level so if you have any altitude where you live it will be very close for your 383 right out of the box. I always recommend buying the tuning kit and appropriate hardware for your application. Edelbrock has a wide variety of linkage pieces to adapt that carb to just about anything you would want to put it on.
Last edited by gonridnu on April 12th, 2019, 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: XJ 2 door

Post by gonridnu »

I just read the article you linked. Stay away from the QJet carbs unless it is a mostly factory original car. They do not have the part availability that Holleys and Edelbrocks do which can make them hard to tune. We use Holleys almost exclusively for race applications but the Edelbrock is a great street carb and an even better off road carb. In general. a larger carb will give you increased top end performance and a smaller one will give you increased throttle response and better torque numbers. The most common mistake made by amateur engine builders is to over carb or over cam a street engine, You will be perfectly happy with 600 cfm
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

gonridnu wrote: April 12th, 2019, 3:52 am I just read the article you linked. Stay away from the QJet carbs unless it is a mostly factory original car. They do not have the part availability that Holleys and Edelbrocks do which can make them hard to tune. We use Holleys almost exclusively for race applications but the Edelbrock is a great street carb and an even better off road carb. In general. a larger carb will give you increased top end performance and a smaller one will give you increased throttle response and better torque numbers. The most common mistake made by amateur engine builders is to over carb or over cam a street engine, You will be perfectly happy with 600 cfm
X2,