Tedo's carbureted 4.6 stroker

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
Tedo44YJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Wrangler
Vehicle Model: YJ

Tedo's carbureted 4.6 stroker

Post by Tedo44YJ »

ive had a 95 donor motor from an xj sitting in my garage for about a year now that was supposed to go into my 98 tj. Weeeelllllll, some old guy decided to pull out in front of me and i totalled my baby :brickwall: So i took the insurance money, bought a daily driver truck and spent $1500 on an 89 yj that had a blown motor. Once i got it home i threw my donor motor down to the machine shop. here it is ready to head out

update: Any questions are welcome as are answers to the questions i know i will have :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tedo44YJ on August 8th, 2016, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tedo44YJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Re: Tedo's carbureted 4.6 stroker

Post by Tedo44YJ »

heres the jeep i picked up. with and without fenders. Also with some highrise flat fenders that i picked up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tedo44YJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Tedo44YJ »

i ended up purchasing a 4.2 scat crank from Summit Racing for the build. i hadnt had or even planned on buying the jeep before i bought it or else i would of snagged the crank out of it. haven't rippped open the blown motor to see what the damage is so the crank might be busted anyways. here is the crank and the flat fenders i picked up
Tedo44YJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Tedo44YJ »

this is what the oil looked like when i drained it out of the blown 4.2L :boom: :lol:
Tedo44YJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Tedo44YJ »

got the engine back from the machine shop and installed the lower end with one piston to check the deck height for quench. i ended up taking it back to the shop to take .020" off the top for a quench height of .050" and a compression ratio of 9.61:1. Spent a lot of time researching and talking to a couple different machinist and found that the CR is fine to run pump gas and will be fine with 87 octane. Keep in mind i went with the 4.0 rods and icon premium forged ic944-040 pistion heads (bored .040" over).
Tedo44YJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Tedo44YJ »

got it back and assembled the lower end. Plastigauge on all the mains and rod bearings came out within tolerance. this link has the bearing clearance tolerances along with the haynes manual that i have been using http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/bearing ... ods-34764/
Tedo44YJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Tedo44YJ »

put the upper end together. never got it ported but i will one day for sure. this is a project i will have for a long time and im trying to get it all put together for the anniversary i have coming up with my girlfriend. We are gong to Friday Harbor out on the San Juan Islands and cruising with the top off around the Island sounds pretty awesome to me!

I also painted it up with an awesome looking metalic marine grade high temp red paint. I didnt notice untill after i painted it, but with the freeze plugs it looks like iron man haha :rockout:

i ended up going with the adjustable jp Preformance double roller timing chain and some headers with bellows from ebay from a seller that goes by the name of yourpartstore.
Tedo44YJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Tedo44YJ »

so since i decided to keep the jeep carbureted i had to use the 4.2 carbed intake on the 4.0 head. it is possible but it requires a little bit of modding, especially with headers. i had to shave a little off both of the pin holes on the intake because even though they line up the intake sits too low and you can see the intake port on the head.
i also had to shave a little bit off of the headers, as the bottom corners of the intake came in contact with them. I supposed one could shave the corners of the intake but i would rather have the extra surface area in contact with the exhaust/intake gasket.
the biggest pain in the butt was the exhaust tube off the #4 exhaust port was comming in contact with the bottom of the intake so i had to take a ball pein hammer to the exhaust to make it fit.

with all this modding it was still fairly simple to do. dont be discouraged. Nothing a pneumatic grinder and a ball pein hammer cant fix!
Tedo44YJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Tedo44YJ »

since i had to modify how the intake mounts i also had to modify the powersteering bracket that mounts to the intake. ( im using all the brackets and exterior engine parts from the 89 4.2 engine)
i just had to redrill the two bolt holes that mount to the intake. i could only get a clear picture of top one.
Tedo44YJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Re: Tedo's carbureted 4.6 stroker (4.2 to 4.6 swap)

Post by Tedo44YJ »

the location of the oil pressure sender and oil pressure switch on the 4.2 was right on the back passenger side of the block. There is no place for it on the 4.0 besides on a little adapter right on top of where the oil filter goes.My 95 block came with it so if you dont have one im sure you can get one online or at any parts store.

the electronic ignition mounts in the same spot as on the 4.2 but only has one hole to mount it into. it looks like you could drill and tap the other hole on the block but it holds on there just fine with one bolt so why bother :huh:
Tedo44YJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Tedo44YJ »

this what she looks like so far ( power steering not pictured). Shes all dressed up and ready to drop in.

Jeep has spiders on it from sittting so long. Should be dropping it in later this week sometime.
Trevordavis0521
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by Trevordavis0521 »

Nice build man! Is that the 4.2 valve cover?
Tedo44YJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Tedo44YJ »

Trevordavis0521 wrote:Nice build man! Is that the 4.2 valve cover?

Thanks! Yes it is the 4.2 valve cover. It really came in handy because I bolted the fuel pressure regulator to the top of it.

So far the stroker is running strong! I'm in love with it.
cuban11182
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board

Post by cuban11182 »

Looking forward to your build. I want to see how you wire the 4.0 alternator since we won't have computers to provide excitation to the field on the alternator. I'm building an external voltage regulator and will see if that work.

Great build so far though.
myillwillinc
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Post by myillwillinc »

got any vids of it running?