SHOPPING LIST FOR MY STROKER BUILD

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
SOUTHY5678
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

SHOPPING LIST FOR MY STROKER BUILD

Post by SOUTHY5678 »

I'm new to the stroker world, but I love this community already. You are all extremely dedicated to your machines. I have my donor 4.2 block, and my HO head from a 92 cherokee already. I'm just looking to build a bad ass stroker motor. I don't care if I have to run premium in it. I just want power.

I'm looking for a shopping list of parts . So if any body wants to help me out I'd really appreciate it.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Re: SHOPPING LIST FOR MY STROKER BUILD

Post by jsawduste »

4.0 block not 4.2
SOUTHY5678
Donator
Donator

Post by SOUTHY5678 »

I have both. I was under the impression the 4.2 was the better block to build from?
jsawduste

Post by jsawduste »

No. In fact because of the lower deck height I prefer to use 4.0 blocks 91 and up.

Go here
http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=34

Some of the info is outdated as it applies to particular part numbers but the basics are there. Don`t get caught up to far in "recipes". Just use them as informative baselines.

There are a number of pretty old but smart guys on here. Do a little research on your own to grasp the basics. Us old guys will help out with particular questions.

K ? :D
SOUTHY5678
Donator
Donator

Post by SOUTHY5678 »

Thanks for the help. I will check out the Dino site tonight. I've got the 4.2 engine apart already. I might just build two of them for the fun of it. I feel like building this motor is a good idea, but wringing every little ounce of power might be harder than expected.
jsawduste

Post by jsawduste »

Dino's site is useful but again don't get hung up on particular specs
SOUTHY5678
Donator
Donator

Post by SOUTHY5678 »

Well, after much extensive research.......and on this site I feel like I'm back in college :geek: ....... I have decided to go with a basic build to start. I will use stock valve train items and build a basic 4.2/4.0 head stroker. This leaves the 4.0 HO block free for the winter to rebuild and bag for a future project. I will do a small amount of port/polish work to the head, and probably buy the new injectors. I feel that the main issues to address right now are getting a nice balanced flow from intake to exhaust with proper fuel management. Since I will be opening up the head I will probably scavenge a throttle body and have the lip milled. I have access to a small machine shop and a moderately experienced machinist almost daily. My wrangler has a few issues that need to be addressed in the mean time......suspension and re-doing the transmission lowering kit. Nothing to extensive, but it all eats away at the few precious months of summer up here in Maine. I definitely thank everyone on this site for all the info. You guys are amazing. :cheers:
jsawduste

Post by jsawduste »

a 4.2/4.0 head is not a stroker.

It is a 4.2 with a 4.0 head. That being said you will be very happy with the performance increase the 4.0 head will provide. Use the 4.0 intake/exhaust manifolds or a 4.0 header. Strongly consider upgrading to the 91-95 fuel injection over your present carb.

Recently helped a friend do this exact swap. Used the 91-95 cam and freshened up the head with new but stocks springs and such.
SOUTHY5678
Donator
Donator

Post by SOUTHY5678 »

I still plan on doing the stroker.....just not until the 4.2 is done. I will definitely switch to the fuel injection. One of my friends that put a 4bt in his cj is helping with all the stroker specs for a later build.

The 4.2 build is pretty straight forward I think. Which push rods did you use?
jsawduste

Post by jsawduste »

Even the factory used a number of different pushrods over the years. Only way to be sure is to use a PR length checker. That way you can dial in exactly what you need based on your combination of parts.

Summit 15 bucks or so.